• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen, Reliable at last?

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
I am having a bit of a problem with Jantzen and would appreciate some advice.

I have been a happy customer for around 5 years and have bought around 20 shirts by internet and twice at the shop in Hong Kong.

I was in Hong Kong a few weeks ago and asked to be re-measured as I have gained some weight. They did and I ordered 5 shirts. I went back the next day for a fitting and noted that the neck seemed too big. Ricky agreed and said he would have it reduced. I picked the shirts up the next day (without trying them on- a mistake!) and returned to Japan.

After washing them I tried on the shirts and found they were all still much too big on the neck so...

1. I emailed Ricky to inform them that they seemed around 3cm too big and could I send them back for repair.

2. He replied promptly to say that they added "only 2cm" and asked me to make sure it was 3cm too big. To me 2 cm is still a lot so I am not sure what the point of this was.

3. I compared with an older Jantzen short, found it was 2.5cm bigger and emailed this info to say that it was still way too big for me, and could I please send them back for repair. I added a picture showing the large size of the neck.

img4525m.jpg

4. He replied to say that it did look "really a little bit larger than normal" and I would have to pay $90HK/shirt for repair and postage.

5. I replied to say that I did not feel responsible for any error as they did the measuring. I said that I would pay postage from Japan to HK but expected him to cover repair and return postage.

6. 2 days ago. No reply yet.

Any advice here before I give him a call?

Wow, that's way way off. Not even close. Did they actually measure your neck? How does the rest of the shirt fit?

If he measured then he should be responsible for correcting it, at worst you'll pay for the shipping.
Just be polite but firm, make it clear how unhappy you are with the shirts (really they're not wearable with a tie) and indicate you've been a long time repeat customer and would hate to terminate the relationship. Maybe pictures of you trying to wear a tie would serve to illustrate to him just how utterly ridiculous it looks.

By the way which style collar is that? It's really nice.

Good luck!

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Odd I/O
Wow, that's way way off. Not even close. Did they actually measure your neck? How does the rest of the shirt fit?

If he measured then he should be responsible for correcting it, at worst you'll pay for the shipping.
Just be polite but firm, make it clear how unhappy you are with the shirts (really they're not wearable with a tie) and indicate you've been a long time repeat customer and would hate to terminate the relationship. Maybe pictures of you trying to wear a tie would serve to illustrate to him just how utterly ridiculous it looks.

By the way which style collar is that? It's really nice.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion....a picture with a tie is a good idea.

I can't remember if I tweaked this a bit but according to my records the collar is:
Collar Style: Collar Style # 3T, (English Regular Spread w/ Higher Band)
Collar Stay: Removable Collar Stay
Interlining: Regular
Tie space: 1/8" (Standard)
Back Height: 1 7/8" (High)
Stitching for Collar & Cuff: 1/4" (Our Standard)
Collar Point: 2 3/4" (Standard)

An update to the situation: no reply from Ricky yet.

tom153

Reaction score
Usually takes him 4-7 days to get back to me, sometimes as much as 9, so give it some time... I'll post a pic of a #11 I received from him a few weeks ago. I think it will give a "painted on" shirt a new meaning, lol.

fox81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tom153
Usually takes him 4-7 days to get back to me, sometimes as much as 9, so give it some time... I'll post a pic of a #11 I received from him a few weeks ago. I think it will give a "painted on" shirt a new meaning, lol.

i order all my shirts as 'tight' with accurate measurements and still find theyre not quite slim enough. my next order has bigger darts so im hoping it comes up well.

tom153

Reaction score
My shirts were already pretty good, I just wanted to raise the arm hole, make the sleeve 1" slimmer, and have the waist taken in 3/4 of an inch. What I got was -2 in the waist, -1 in the chest, -2 in the arm, lol.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Thanks for the suggestion....a picture with a tie is a good idea.

I can't remember if I tweaked this a bit but according to my records the collar is:
Collar Style: Collar Style # 3T, (English Regular Spread w/ Higher Band)
Collar Stay: Removable Collar Stay
Interlining: Regular
Tie space: 1/8" (Standard)
Back Height: 1 7/8" (High)
Stitching for Collar & Cuff: 1/4" (Our Standard)
Collar Point: 2 3/4" (Standard)

An update to the situation: no reply from Ricky yet.

that's annoying

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a very strange reply from Ricky:

"You mention you want to make it larger sine you afraid there would have a
bit shrinkage after washing.
So we need to charge again if you want to change it again."

This is a complete fabrication. I asked to be re-measured because I gained some weight...I have never had a big problem with shrinkage as I do not use a machine dryer and I am certain that I did not mention that as a reason to increase the neck size. I am also certain that I did not specify any exact change to my measurements.

I am getting pissed off.

Any final advice before I just give up on Jantzen?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shame.

You could try washing it in warm water and machine drying it a couple times.

water

Reaction score
In the Extra Fine Cotton section, there seems to be an abundance of 1-Ply material. Are these on par with the regular 2-Ply they offer?

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by water
In the Extra Fine Cotton section, there seems to be an abundance of 1-Ply material. Are these on par with the regular 2-Ply they offer?
No.

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my latest effort using the Jantzen 8061 blue gingham check fabric. I am REALLY digging the fabric!!! I will be looking for more patterns using the same base soon.

DSC_9619.jpg

DSC_9620.jpg

DSC_9621.jpg

fox81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregaz
Here is my latest effort using the Jantzen 8061 blue gingham check fabric. I am REALLY digging the fabric!!! I will be looking for more patterns using the same base soon.

DSC_9619.jpg

what is the collar and its dimensions?

also, did you specify a sloped shoulder?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FDGDFGFDG