• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 3 Discussion

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian

That blackface routine was jarringly odd.

I think most people were disturbed by it because everyone wants to like John Slattery's character.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I think most people were disturbed by it because everyone wants to like John Slattery's character.

Interesting. Perhaps. To me it wasn't even about being racist, just about being ridiculously stupid and acting like a highschool kid, which he's been doing ever since he's met what's her name..

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Interesting. Perhaps. To me it wasn't even about being racist, just about being ridiculously stupid and acting like a highschool kid, which he's been doing ever since he's met what's her name..

Bingo. I think they could have picked a better way for him to display that.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one is seeding any of the eps 3 torrents on pirate bay. FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I loved the scene when Don was putting together that Old Fashioned. There was something kind of magical about it. He made that drink with extreme precision and an experienced grace.
That magic is the finest thing about the best bars -- the humanity of a craft performed and instantly appreciated, the authenticity of a fine cocktail a segue to a more authentic interaction of humanity, which that scene stood for. ~ H

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs

dude, just do a google search, plenty of sites out there post links to uploaded episode files...

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs

It's also on Youtube in several parts if you need to see it right now.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the party, when Draper first encountered Campbell, he told him not to hand out any business cards. This shows Draper as being at a more sophisticated level than Campbell, who was born into that social level.

When I look at where Draper came from, I can't connect the dots to put him from there to where he is now. How is it possible that Draper knows all the moves? He rarely missteps socially or when dealing with clients. His background would have given him street smarts, but realistically he would be very rough around the edges.

I hope that at some point, some of this missing time is revealed and we will see a plausible way for him to have become the person he is today.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
I hope that at some point, some of this missing time is revealed and we will see a plausible way for him to have become the person he is today.

+1. i really hope we get to see his formative years at the agency and how he got to where he is.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What have we seen so far? He came back from Korea and was selling cars and got caught by the real Draper's widow? Is that it?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the party, when Draper first encountered Campbell, he told him not to hand out any business cards. This shows Draper as being at a more sophisticated level than Campbell, who was born into that social level.

When I look at where Draper came from, I can't connect the dots to put him from there to where he is now. How is it possible that Draper knows all the moves? He rarely missteps socially or when dealing with clients. His background would have given him street smarts, but realistically he would be very rough around the edges.

Originally Posted by grundletaint
+1. i really hope we get to see his formative years at the agency and how he got to where he is.

Yeah, I guess he learned sales when he was selling cars, but definitely want to see how he ended up at that level.. Maybe we'll see it soon.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
What have we seen so far? He came back from Korea and was selling cars and got caught by the real Draper's widow? Is that it?

yup pretty much..

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
You have to watch from the beginning. As previously mentioned, the story lines are so character driven that you'd be scratching your head wondering what the hell is going on.

The myriad of inside jokes in reference to an individuals' past is reason alone to watch from episode one.

I jumped in mid second season, and I am enjoying it.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He is a student of life. Anyone who could react in such a way after witnessing his superior's death has already learned a thing or two. I believe he draws on his hatred for his "former" life or early years as motivation to self-improve. He witnesses how others act, and he quickly assesses who and what traits are worth imitating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads