• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How I Met Your Mother

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great show. They manage to combine sitcom schtick with real feeling and characters - the main cast seem like a group who would be friends and care about each other (versus, say, Friends).

"You got laid off a question mark?"

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Naked Man was great. Funny thing, when we were watching that and the suit rack scene came on the missus said "that's like your nerd forum buddies isnt it" ha!

The "Origin of Barney" episode was great too. It was like watching Annikin become Darth Vader

I think the "Origin of Barney" episode is actually called "Game Night." Are you talking about the one where he's working at some hippie coffee joint and gets dumped right before he's supposed to join the Peace Corps to save the Ni-haaa-raaa-guaaaans? That one's a classic.

Another favorite is the "Sweet Taste of Liberty" episode from Season 1, where Barney and Ted go to pick someone up at the airport.

"Wait, when you said we were gonna pick someone up at the airport, you meant we were gonna pick someone up at the airport?"

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ted: We just don't like your naked girls.
Barney: What!? My girls aren't hot enough. I mean, yeah alright fine, the stripper at Stuart's bachelor party was a 15.
Ted: She was 15!!?
Barney: No. A 15. Like in blackjack.
Ted: (pauses to think) ...As in..not sure whether you'd hit it?
Barney: Exactly!
Ted: Nice.

Albern

Reaction score
The show is great and highly underrated.

We should start a Styleforum thread that is similar to the writings of the Bro Code.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

For example:
SF Code Article 1: The fit of ones clothes shall triumph over all other fashion rules, standards, and conventions.

SF Code Article 2: Thou shall not wear black if not at a formal event or a funeral.

SF Code Article 3: No breast pocket shall be without a pocket square.

And pulled directly from the Bro Code,

SF Code Article 4: Bros cannot make eye contact during a Devil's three-way (2 dudes and a chick).

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Ted: We just don't like your naked girls.
Barney: What!? My girls aren't hot enough. I mean, yeah alright fine, the stripper at Stuart's bachelor party was a 15.
Ted: She was 15!!?
Barney: No. A 15. Like in blackjack.
Ted: (pauses to think) ...As in..not sure whether you'd hit it?
Barney: Exactly!
Ted: Nice.

laugh.gif

I just spit my coffee onto my keyboard.

What episode is that from?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I saw this once and the dialogue was pretty atrocious.

oneblood

Reaction score
It's an extraordinarily pleasant if occasionally bland show. It's like the creators grew up on Friends and ended up attempting to imitate it and ended up making something simultaneously more and less genuine.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favourite episode is the one where Barney goes on The Price is Right with Bob.

Lachy

Reaction score
It's an awesome show, best comedy in a while.

I loved the episode when Lilly forces Barney to confront and apologize to women to find out who is stalking him and ruining his pickups, and at the end we see him writing his blog on the computer Doogie Howser style, complete with the white text on a blue screen and the background music.
laugh.gif
Had me laughing for a good 5 minutes after, seriously.

Also, I agree, Ted sucks and his only purpose is the setup for the others, but I also hate Robin as a character. I'm not saying she isn't hot, I just dislike the character.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the show a lot.

Obviously not all the characters are great, but I think that only really sticks out because of the greatness of some characters (aka Barney). And yes, Barney is awesome, glad to see him reppin' a well fitted suit.

And yes, Robin is hot. Really, really, hot.

Actually, most of the girls they find on that show are very attractive. Casting director's got good tastes.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really great sitcom, one of the few shows I watch consistently. "Arrivederci, Fiero" was a great episode. The episode with Barney on The Price is Right was brilliant. Same with "Slap Bet."

And like the best sitcoms, it gets better with time thanks to recurring elements, running jokes. A perfect example was "Murder Train" being played in the background when Ted fought with the goat, just as it was during the flashback of Marshall fighting with his brothers.

Ted is an improbable combination of douche and nice guy, but it's funny to watch. "My parents live in Idaho. I live in the moment."

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
I too have wondered why no one ever mentioned Barney or his suits on SF.

Got into this show during the 3rd or 4th season (I think the first one I saw was when Barney ran the marathon with no training and then got on the subway and couldn't move his legs). Went out and rented the ones that I had missed . If anyone else does the same, I recommend watching the episodes that have it with the cast commentary on. It's really like watching an episode with them in the room with you - at one point NPH is commenting on what's going on onscreen and he gets interrupted by one of the girls and he says something like, "What's the ******* point" and everyone else goes, "Ooooh!" because they aren't supposed to curse and he's being a prima donna. Seems like they have a good real-life comraderie.

"Babies can smell money! Everyone knows that!" My g/f's eggs drop every time she sees a baby and I always say that line when she starts gushing.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That "15" quote has been in my rotation since I heard it. Great line.

I wonder how long they can keep up the actual premise of finding Ted's wife. It's starting to get a bit stale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads