• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
That's a damn good point. One of my girls wears sandals all the time, the other, heels. Something to think about.

I'll give a pass to somewhat stylish sandals.

The two things i feel there is no excuse for are the Old Navy, $2, worn until they fall aprat flip flops (especially in white) and Reef flip flops (especially the ones with a bottle cap opener on the heel).

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep changing my mind on my next big purchase. I was thinking JtG Harrington. Now I'm thinking Fred Perry sweater. In reality, I should be looking for a pair of dress shoes.

Why is it that I always want to buy what I sort of need, instead of what I really need?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I want to get to the point where I mostly buy what I want and not what I need.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Does anybody do the closet clean-out thing where you go in and throw out anything you haven't touch in a couple years? Or whatever the time rule is on that. I've started doing that, and I don't miss anything I've tossed away.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did that when I moved out of my old and into my new apartment. Completely cleared out and streamlined my wardrobe. I sold all the clothes at a yard sale this weekend. Money from my clothes in addition to a ton of other crap added up to 350-400 dollars. It was sad to see some pieces go, especially when they were worn once or twice. In the end, I am much happier. I don't miss the old clothes and I enjoy looking at a well spaced closet with only the articles of clothing I really enjoy.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
After looking around at a few stores over the weekend, prices are just astronomical these days for items that are not that great. Even at 50% off they're just exhorbitant. Sure highend gear has always been expensive, but nowadays I just feel like the pricing structure is out of touch with what people should be paying.

I'm in the process of thinning out the closet too, not to sell, but to just pack away for the time being until the day comes when I want to wear it. I don't want or need anything, and am quite happy with what I already have.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Does anybody do the closet clean-out thing where you go in and throw out anything you haven't touch in a couple years? Or whatever the time rule is on that. I've started doing that, and I don't miss anything I've tossed away.
I do this every six months or so but I really need to be more ruthless.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert

I do that often. It's very liberating. Although, now, I am pretty much down to EG, Mister Freedom, MTM, and a little J Crew, so I won't be throwing any of that away. If you are in doubt about whether or not you want to get rid of something, put it in another closet for a month and then if you haven't thought about it, it's ok to get rid of it.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I cleared out my closet in general a couple weeks back. I'd been using it as a place to store my clothes, but also just about anything else in my apartment I didn't want out in the open. After much shuffling, tossing out, giving away, selling, etc., my closet's finally looking great. It looks more personalized without all the junk covering the floor, shelf, and rack.

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
I keep changing my mind on my next big purchase. I was thinking JtG Harrington. Now I'm thinking Fred Perry sweater. In reality, I should be looking for a pair of dress shoes.

Why is it that I always want to buy what I sort of need, instead of what I really need?

I say get decent dress shoes ebay or thrifted and then a warrior harrington. i do prefer the jtg though.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) I'll probably be murdered for this and I am usually not one to attack brands because people have different taste, but I don't understand the love for EG. i will concede that in pictures (fit pics include) it looks great. Maybe if I saw people wearing it in the flesh, I'd like it too. The quality, however, is nothing to write home about. After hearing so much praise for the brand, I handled the pieces in person and was unimpressed. the fabrics didn't seem all that special and neither did the construction.

1b) On a slightly related note, I've handled some "higher end" designer items recently and was really unimpressed with the quality.

2) I would be happy to wear a heather grey tee, slim blue jeans, and some low tops for the rest of my life.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've learned that I'm a little paranoid about delaying my purchases until sales time. I sometimes find that if I wait until a good sale, my sizes are gone. At the same time, if I pull the trigger early and go full retail, I feel guilty as hell.

raginberriodoom

Reaction score
Since I'm a university student, I clean my closet on a regular basis, whenever I travel to and from home. A few pieces are sold/donated each time, and it really does make your wardrobe feel much more cohesive. Also, it makes me like my wardrobe better as a whole (go figure), and I like maintaining a neat closet. Robert is right too, I've never missed any pieces I've thrown out yet. Just gotta be meticulous...

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
1) I'll probably be murdered for this and I am usually not one to attack brands because people have different taste, but I don't understand the love for EG. i will concede that in pictures (fit pics include) it looks great. Maybe if I saw people wearing it in the flesh, I'd like it too. The quality, however, is nothing to write home about. After hearing so much praise for the brand, I handled the pieces in person and was unimpressed. the fabrics didn't seem all that special and neither did the construction.

I can't really speak for the quality as I only own one shirt from them that I never wear, but I'm rather sick of the workwear aesthetic EG and other companies go for. Maybe it's because I grew up in a smallish town in Wisconsin and was surrounded by actual hunters and outdoorsmen, but there's only so many flannels and rustic knits I can handle. I do dig a lot of their outerwear though, unfortunately they are cut way too boxy for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads