1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huhitsroy

huhitsroy Member

haha i just liek to dress in whatever when idc

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I wish we had an affiliate that carried high end fashion like Jil, Raf, Junya, etc. Not even for the discount, just for friendly services and knowing that my money is going towards a good store.

I've thought about this, and can't really think of a candidate who would fit, and also be willing to put in the time. I like Sydney's in TO, but the online stock is limited, and really, it's either brands already represented (like Bblessing), or niche Japanese and Italian stuff (like Julius and Ann Demeulemeester.) If you guys have any suggestions, PM me. I am more than willing. The one stipulations is that I'd have to be able to talk to someone with decision making processes, directly.

3. Lel

Lel Senior member

Can we talk about steampunk? Let's.

There's got to be a way to translate the word into a cohesive vision. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the same couple of things over and over:

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/05/is...n_the_next.php
    http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/member.php?u=7886

There's gotta be more to this.

It's hard, really hard. First off because steam punk never really existed, and it's a small genre compared to many other "aesthetics" (sci-fi, fantasy, etc). Not to mention the fact that steampunk itself is a blend of Victorian Sci-Fi, so people tend to focus more on the Victorian aspect and ignore what differentiates steam punk from "Victorian inspired fashions" (I don't know either, FYI).

Off the top of my head, the only real way to translate it into an actual, wearable aesthetic (wearable is a loose term here, but if people can walk out onto the streets in GothNinja style then I think we can be lenient on what is wearable) it would combine Victorian influences with a touch of WWII inspired influences (not military, but think of flight jackets and what pilots would wear).

The closest example of this I can think of is Steamboy. I haven't watched it, but I've seen enough of the trailers/pictures to be able to get a sense of feel for the aesthetic.

And also, I think that Margiela would be able to tackle such an aesthetic. I can kind of see it there, in terms of color schemes (Earth-y colors) and a sort of worn in look that I believe is vital to a steampunk aesthetic

Most of all though, all "attempts" I've seen are more along the lines of cosplay and costume than actual outfits, so, IDK.

I've thought about this, and can't really think of a candidate who would fit, and also be willing to put in the time. I like Sydney's in TO, but the online stock is limited, and really, it's either brands already represented (like Bblessing), or niche Japanese and Italian stuff (like Julius and Ann Demeulemeester.) If you guys have any suggestions, PM me. I am more than willing. The one stipulations is that I'd have to be able to talk to someone with decision making processes, directly.

Yeah to be honest, I can't think of any stores I know of. But one thing I've noticed is that new Affiliates tend to be stores that several members already know of, and have good relationships with the owners/good experience shopping there, and that becoming an Affiliate just felt like a natural progression.

------------

Also,

I'm tired of the term "SF-approved". I use it non-seriously, but it's also the only term I can think of to describe all the brands that get love on SF (W+H, EG, Krane, BoO, WWM, etc, you know what I'm talking about).

But I think a lot of members use the "approved" part of the phrase too seriously so from now on I'll say "SF-Affiliate brands".

4. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I'm sick of wearing my sperry's, PBJ's, and AA tees. ready for fall so i can do a tad bit of layering. 100 degree heat sucks.

5. Doin' Fine.

Doin' Fine. Senior member

Big amen to the coming of fall. Also, I think it's time we start getting more open minded here on styleforum. The SF uniform is really getting monotonous. I think some variety is needed, whether it's "SF approved" or not.

6. Eason

Eason Senior member

SW&D WAYWT should really just go to MC, and MC WAYWT can be on Ask Andy about Suits.

7. jet

jet Senior member

Why is everyone hatin on summer? There are so many nice light shirts, pants, shorts, shoes to be rocked.

8. Doin' Fine.

Why is everyone hatin on summer? There are so many nice light shirts, pants, shorts, shoes to be rocked.

But jet, what about the fresh F/W knits?

9. Doin' Fine.

SW&D WAYWT should really just go to MC, and MC WAYWT can be on Ask Andy about Suits.

+at least 100.

10. jet

jet Senior member

But jet, what about the fresh F/W knits?

Obviously knit weather is the best there is no question.

+at least 100.

I hate MC waywt thread they requote one picture for ten pages.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Big amen to the coming of fall. Also, I think it's time we start getting more open minded here on styleforum. The SF uniform is really getting monotonous. I think some variety is needed, whether it's "SF approved" or not.

There is no "SF approved" except for commercial posts, which need to be cleared with me. I really dislike the whole idea of a homogeneous "SF" approved style, which is one of the reasons I like our having both the MC and the SW&D (to be renamed) forums. Life would be boring if everyone dressed the same.

12. whodini

whodini Senior member

Also, I think it's time we start getting more open minded here on styleforum. The SF uniform is really getting monotonous. I think some variety is needed, whether it's "SF approved" or not.

Sorry, but I had a chuckle out of this. I'd say we get this comment once every couple of months or so, like clockwork, and ironically from users who have registered within the past few months. Don't take this as directly personal but it's just something I wonder every time it happens: Just what the fuck do you mean, just what the fuck are you doing about it?

Typically, there's silence which isn't so bad as my expectations are generally very low. I chalk it up to the way a 9-5'er stuck in his Civic complains that there is too much traffic during his commute because people don't walk or take the bus anywhere anymore; it's more of a blanket complaint than an actual proposition towards change.

13. robin

robin Senior member

Damn it, I just bought another tote. No more after this one, I swear.

14. whodini

whodini Senior member

Damn it, I just bought another tote. No more after this one, I swear.
    Which?

15. reprehensible

reprehensible Senior member

Sorry, but I had a chuckle out of this. I'd say we get this comment once every couple of months or so, like clockwork, and ironically from users who have registered within the past few months. Don't take this as directly personal but it's just something I wonder every time it happens: Just what the fuck do you mean, just what the fuck are you doing about it?

Typically, there's silence which isn't so bad as my expectations are generally very low. I chalk it up to the way a 9-5'er stuck in his Civic complains that there is too much traffic during his commute because people don't walk or take the bus anywhere anymore; it's more of a blanket complaint than an actual proposition towards change.

Typically, I agitate for change by wearing very dull monochrome clothing.

SF isn't unpleasantly homogeneous, really. Too much love for boat shoes, which I really can't stand[1], but a pleasant focus on real-person clothing. Also populated with people that aren't entirely annoying, which is not insignificant.

I think the degree of sameness comes from a revolving populating that comes in poorly dressed, and after a while, having followed basic forum advice and trends, looks in the mirror and says: "hey, wow, I look pretty good!" And on the one hand, sure, that's a little repetitive. But the standard forum basics actually do look pretty good on most people, and if they're coming through after a bout of Affliction/7FAM/KC, that's a pretty big win.

It's always nice to see some variety, but it's a little mean to disdain the advances of the formerly ill-dressed, you know?

[1] Maybe it's just me, but it gives me visions of like Reginald and Muffy summering somewhere, and it's just totally insufferable.

16. robin

robin Senior member

Which?
    A Mister Freedom one.

17. zissou

zissou Senior member

^Noway. Where from??

18. robin

robin Senior member

19. whodini

whodini Senior member

Doesn't look bad, robin. How much did it run?

20. robin

robin Senior member

Doesn't look bad, robin. How much did it run?
    $210 shipped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.