• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ashes 2009

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well...the Poms saved the first test pretty well. Close game, but I think this will hold them in good stead. Anyone see any immediate team changes for the 2nd one? I think Panesar might make way for Graham Onions.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ponting is whinging, but I don't think the Australian team has been that much better sportsmen for a few years now, at least.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Ponting is whinging, but I don't think the Australian team has been that much better sportsmen for a few years now, at least.

Not to be rude but do you think England deserved a draw? F*ck no they didn't.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Not to be rude but do you think England deserved a draw? F*ck no they didn't.

True, but I don't think all the whinging does any good ... better to leave that to the poms!
nest.gif

I mean, it was dodgy, but not Bodyline dodgy.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW

Ponting whines and bitches about everything. Nothing new about that.

I think Broad will hold onto his position although he had a pretty ordinary game with the ball. If Freddie misses the 2nd test (most likely), Harmison comes in for him and that should make for an interesting test at Lord's. Although IIRC, the last few tests there have been draws (maybe not against WI).

streetminimal

Reaction score
Poms are dirty ******* time-wasting cheaters. I wouldn't be surprised anyway, they got taken to school during the last series and are now trying to regain the ashes to save some face.

And besides, even if we (Australia) did win once again, the ashes will still remain in England as it always did.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
I missed the last day, but from what I've seen the complaining is mainly about a trip out by the physio and 12th man. So it probably took 5 minutes is that really something so bad for Ponting to be complaining about and to label them as "dirty ******* time-wasting cheaters". This isn't underarm bowling, seam picking or any of the other low forms of cheating and would 5 minutes make all the difference, not like they managed to take the last wicket in the 11 overs anyhow. Aussies couldn't close the deal and England saved the draw, **** happens, stop complaining and get over it, you'd be the first to defend Ponting if it had been the other way around.

edit. Just read that Nathan Hauritz said yesterday: Australia would have done the same thing.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone else playing Grandstand fantasy cricket? I wish I'd got into it before the first test, but I now have a team. Woot!

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Poms off to a great start at Lords. Currently at 190 for no loss. I hope they can give the Aussies are serious scare in this match...although the Lord's pitch has become pretty flat and hardly yielded any results in the last few tests there.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. Katich and Hussey were looking set in when I left for the pub, that was a middle order batting collapse of English proportions.

Lovely banter on TMS about ozzy players drinking on tour during a rain break today - I always marvel at the record number of beers on the Sydney - London flight.

streetminimal

Reaction score
the rain better come in and end the test in a draw. those cheating pom bastards do not deserve to win.

@EnglishGent: i dont care what hauritz said, the fact of the matter was that they cheated. it's poor form.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by streetminimal
the rain better come in and end the test in a draw. those cheating pom bastards do not deserve to win.

@EnglishGent: i dont care what hauritz said, the fact of the matter was that they cheated. it's poor form.

Wait, you mean to tell me--the ******* English would pull out all the stops to avoid losing to Australia? I'm sorry I don't believe you. Next you'll tell me a ******* bear lives in the ******* woods.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads