• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often to dry clean a suit?

MrMiyagi

Reaction score
I have a suit that I wear every day for work. Its wool and I have it dry cleaned weekly.

Is this too often? It has been hot so I've been sweating in it for the past few weeks but I dont notice any smell. I'm thinking I can push it back to every other week (if not further). Its the only suit I have so its worn every day.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You really need to get another suit, or this one won't make it until the end of the season. Get a heavy wool worsted -- it will last longer.

Just don't dry clean your suit unless it smells or is stained.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd consider getting at least a couple more suits so that you can rotate wearing them. Daily wearing the same suit and dry cleaning it weekly will ruin it quickly.

MrMiyagi

Reaction score
Right. I've only had it cleaned maybe six times. I dont know what guide I was using, but I read this weekly guide somewhere. I guess I'll just get it cleaned when it smells or gets stained. Getting another suit isnt really an option.

Siggy

Reaction score
You should only dry clean suits when really really needed because it is not good for the fabric. I wear suits every weekday and dry clean them once every year or so, if that. However, I brush them with a Kent natural bristle brush after every wearing.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look, if you really need to clean it just use a brush and maybe a little bit of steam. Dry cleaning should be a last resort.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrMiyagi
Getting another suit isnt really an option.

It will be when your current suit wears out. At the very least, get another suit or two now -- even if on the cheap -- to develop a rotation. You're going to destroy your one suit if you wear it every day, five days a week, regardless of how often you dry clean it. Frequent dry cleaning will hasten its destruction, but the point is academic if you're wearing the suit every day in the first place. At this point you're doing the sartorial equivalent of putting butter on bacon and debating about which will give you a heart attack first.

dzang

Reaction score
S long as it isn't dirty I say hold off on the dry cleaning or else your suit will wear out very quickly

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't over dry clean your suits...The chemicals involved are not good at all for the wool...
Buy another one or two suits and have a rotation between them...A suit needs to breathe.
It will be cheaper in the long term than dry cleaning every week...

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dzang
AS long as it isn't dirty I say hold off on the dry cleaning or else your suit will wear out very quickly

Agreed. And dont wear the same suit daily.

madaboutshirt

Reaction score
I can't imagine someone who can wear the same suit day in and day out. I'd die of boredom alone.

I have seen someone who brought in a pair of pants to my tailor to get the belt loops replaced. The loops were so worn out that you could see the white threads in them. Apparently that wasn't the first time either. The tailor had to get the extra fabric from the hem. This was caused by wearing the same pants to work everyday and sitting in a hard plastic chair.

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
You really need to get another suit, or this one won't make it until the end of the season. Get a heavy wool worsted -- it will last longer.

Just don't dry clean your suit unless it smells or is stained.

+1

Getting a few more suits is really the answer. Even if you have to go to JAB for a stopgap, doing so will preserve the suit you currently wear.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have found that the less you dry clean the better.

You need to send it out if it truly needs it. However, if you 1) hang a suit and let it air out, 2) give a simple brushing and 3) simply spot with cold water and a towel any small food or dirt stains, you can probably get by for a very long time without cleaning.

I feel the longer you can go the better. And, avoid hotel cleaners whenever possible. I have had more shirts, pants, suits and jackets ruined by sending them out while traveling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads