• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turnbull and Asser Shirts

suitsusid

Reaction score
Hi, i am heading down to London this weekend on a shopping binge. On my list is to buy a selection of my first T&A shirts. My wife said to me 'they better be easy to iron' and mentioned if they are hard to iron then they will be left in the laundry forever (so far all my hermes shirts and some other very expensive shirts are buried there) she refuses to iron these. My question is before i outlay £120/.each for T&A shirts can someone tell me if they are easy to iron or not. (btw i do help out a hell of a lot around the house, washing, cleaning, hoovering etc.. one thing i CANNOT do is iron, so my wife does it.).

Thank you in advance
R's
Sid

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how one thing can be more difficult to iron than another. With my T&A's, and that goes for the rest of my shirts too, I hang them out to dry on a hanger whilst still wet. This makes them easy to iron.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
I thought that would depend on the fabric you choose? I personally have not had problems ironing pure cotton shirts of differing qualities as long as the shirt is damp when I iron it.

Your poor wife. You should either learn to iron, or take your laundered shirts to the dry cleaner's to be pressed.

suitsusid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
I thought that would depend on the fabric you choose? I personally have not had problems ironing pure cotton shirts of differing qualities as long as the shirt is damp when I iron it.

Your poor wife. You should either learn to iron, or take your laundered shirts to the dry cleaner's to be pressed.

Don't get me wrong i do iron my trousers and t shirts but can never get my business/dress shirts right...my wife irons them perfectly...she's the expert...i have many many different shirts all of them 100% cotton, one would assume that all cotton shirts must be the same to iron regardless of style, designer etc.. but she reckons otherwise. i have not bought any new shirts for a while so i thought i would ask about the T&A before i bought them as i came accross this forum recently which i think is the dog's b******s...good to be able to get feedback before one buys anything..

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much does it cost to get shirts pressed for you? I don't understand how/why one could buy a $200-400 shirt and not pony up $1-3 to have the shirt cleaned and pressed.

PipPip

Reaction score
Agree with the other posts, if they are damp shouldn't be an issue. However, with two kids under 3 years old we have better things to do with our time than ironing. We have a Philippino couple come round for 4 hours per week, costing only €30 per week for the two of them, of which the French taxman gives us half back. In those 4 hours they clean the whole house and the guy does all the laundry and ironing. Boy can that guy iron, my shirts have never looked so good and its very little money to spend for a lot of time saved.

em36

Reaction score
Stick with the regular fabrics, very easy to iron. The Sea Island, though wonderful, puckers and is a ***** to iron. These also do not last as long as their normal fabrics, and are more expensive.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suitsusid
. . . My question is before i outlay £120/.each for T&A shirts can someone tell me if they are easy to iron or not. (btw i do help out a hell of a lot around the house, washing, cleaning, hoovering etc.. one thing i CANNOT do is iron, so my wife does it.).

Thank you in advance
R's
Sid

Turnbull makes a wonderful no-iron shirt in Dacron.

chison

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
How much does it cost to get shirts pressed for you? I don't understand how/why one could buy a $200-400 shirt and not pony up $1-3 to have the shirt cleaned and pressed.

+1

_AMD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
I don't understand how one thing can be more difficult to iron than another. With my T&A's, and that goes for the rest of my shirts too, I hang them out to dry on a hanger whilst still wet. This makes them easy to iron.

Originally Posted by blackbowtie

Originally Posted by suitsusid
Don't get me wrong i do iron my trousers and t shirts but can never get my business/dress shirts right...my wife irons them perfectly...she's the expert...i have many many different shirts all of them 100% cotton, one would assume that all cotton shirts must be the same to iron regardless of style, designer etc.. but she reckons otherwise. i have not bought any new shirts for a while so i thought i would ask about the T&A before i bought them as i came accross this forum recently which i think is the dog's b******s...good to be able to get feedback before one buys anything..

I think that she is probably referring to the cut, location of pleats, etc more than the fabric used when your wife says that some of your shirts are hard to iron. Also, things like the shirred sleeves on a Borrelli (for example) shirt can make ironing more difficult. It is harder to get the sleeve to lay flat and smooth to iron in the crease with the shirred sleeves vs. a standard sleeve. My guess is that your wife is referring to these types of "issues" with your harder to iron shirts, rather than the type/quality of the cotton used in them. So, you may want to ask her about that, and keep it in mind as you select your shirts.

Of course, I could be way off base. In which case, please ignore everything I wrote.

Aaron

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 10+ T&A shirts of which all I iron myself. I use to have them cleaned and pressed but Lady Canucker is a mad women when it comes to cleaning them and I enjoy the ironing.

galahad

Reaction score
I love ironing my shirts. Wash on cold, spin, then iron straight away whilst listening to the radio. Bliss.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by _AMD
I think that she is probably referring to the cut, location of pleats, etc more than the fabric used when your wife says that some of your shirts are hard to iron. Also, things like the shirred sleeves on a Borrelli (for example) shirt can make ironing more difficult. It is harder to get the sleeve to lay flat and smooth to iron in the crease with the shirred sleeves vs. a standard sleeve. My guess is that your wife is referring to these types of "issues" with your harder to iron shirts, rather than the type/quality of the cotton used in them. So, you may want to ask her about that, and keep it in mind as you select your shirts. Of course, I could be way off base. In which case, please ignore everything I wrote. Aaron
+1, but it's not just that. There's lots of things that make shirts easier or harder to iron, including: 1) fusible (glued interfacing) collars and cuffs are easier to iron. I think some makers even put it in the placket and seams; 2) heavier cotton is easier to iron than thinner, fine stuff; 3) fine patterns (e.g., blue oxfords) just look less wrinkled or puckered than solid colors even when they are wrinkled the same; and, 4) a better-made shirt is easier to iron (fine stitching, properly sewed, pre-shrunk fabric, etc). I'm sure there's lots more.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, right, and 5) fabrics that don't scorch or shine easily are much easier to iron.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads