• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much can a shirt be slimmed?

danracer

Reaction score
Hello, i was wondering how much can a shirt be slimmed cuz i have a few shirts that were given to me as a gift and wanted to take them to a tailor. the problem is that im really skinny and this shirts are baggy i might post a few pics later.

Thanks

litho

Reaction score
from memory, if the neck is almost the right size you should be fine. if the neck is too small or large then it's difficult. that might have just been my tailor though

glowell222

Reaction score
Make sure they adjust the arms as well. Most times, a tent like shirt has huge sleeves to go with it.

danracer

Reaction score
ohh okay thnx...i think the neck fits nice the problem is the body that im too skinny hehe here are the piks...
Picture046.jpg
Picture048.jpg
Picture049.jpg

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those shirts are going to require a lot of work. From what I can tell, only the third one at the bottom has anywhere near appropriate sleeve length to start with. The sleeves will have to be taken in, and the body of the shirt, which is relatively easy. But the sleeves will need to be shortened as well.

If you haven't yet, make sure you wash and dry them in hot water, hot dryer, before getting them altered. You don't want them shrinking after making them slim.

kngrimm

Reaction score
This can become too critical, so I'll be brief.

There is quite a bit of work for the sunk cost of those shirts (i.e. $30-60?). However, you can still get them altered...and that's what I would tell the normal person.

You, however, are here at this website. I would 'suggest' that if you are going to be relatively thin, it might be best to have it custom made.

Yes, that means more money.
Yes, it could turn out wrong..maybe even more than once.

The goal is that you're relatively young and will capitalize on the increased benefit for many years. I wouldn't tell an eighty year old to start getting custom fitted...

I'd also like to point out that I've said nothing novel... it's been repeated over..and over..and over again...

and over...

Maybe this time is the last time? Oh wait, supply creates demand... right?

VolsVolsVols

Reaction score
Nautica should by no means be viewed as an embarrassing brand to wear at your age, but I think it would be silly to spend $30-$40+ tailoring a shirt that can be purchased for $19.99.

Instead, spend the money on inexpensive, slim-fitting shirts. If you have a local H&M, head there to find shirts in size small which will fit you relatively well when tucked in at a fraction of the cost you'd pay to purchase a "better" label and have it hacked to pieces.

kngrimm

Reaction score
Maybe.. maybe not. He has a long life to live and I thought the suggestion could help.

Judging money by mere looks is quite out-dated, old person.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kngrimm
Maybe.. maybe not. He has a long life to live and I thought the suggestion could help. Judging money by mere looks is quite out-dated, old person.
Your noble speech is charming, but there is still a place in this world for common sense. Our subject is skinny, wearing a youthful brand of shorts, and standing in front of a door covered in racing stickers and lights. He's wearing an ill-fitting Nautica shirt and has no idea about shirt alterations. I don't think it takes a Sherlock Holmes to conclude that he's a young guy probably not yet ready to drop fat cash on a custom shirt. In that regard, he would be like the vast majority of people in the world, regardless of age or income. Please, though, don't let this bump you from your soapbox.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP: Long story short - thank the person that gave you the shirts, but just explain that they don't fit and you would like to exchange them. Go to a store and get measured so you know what size you are (if you don't already) and buy some slim-fitting shirts that are the proper size OTR to minimize alterations. There are plenty of options to fit your (presumed) budget.

kngrimm

Reaction score
You are older than me and the OP... you are therefore, old. Just the way it is, brah.

If anyone has a soapbox.. it's you, 11k post, old person.

I'm not noble..and getting into this detracts from the original purpose, so I'll try to be brief, again...

I think at some point there was a consensus that if people could do it all over again, they would focus on better quality clothes... primarily shirts and pants. Not ties and socks.

What is wrong with trying to point someone in the best possible direction? If they cannot do it... okay... I don't have a gun to their head. Gee, you got me, not-so-persuading old person.

Off to drink alcohol... please don't call the cops on me tonight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads