• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe polishing

yellman

Reaction score
Is there any easier way to polish a shoe then doing it by hand? Do the machine ones work, or just a little bit?

Do they work with shoe polish? Or do they just buff away the dirt?

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never tried the machines, but I actually like polishing my shoes by hand. I can't say I enjoy ironing a shirt, but I truly enjoy spending an afternoon conditioning and polishing all my shoes. In the fall, I do it on a Sunday while watching football.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I've never tried the machines, but I actually like polishing my shoes by hand. I can't say I enjoy ironing a shirt, but I truly enjoy spending an afternoon conditioning and polishing all my shoes. In the fall, I do it on a Sunday while watching football.

Bi mor shewz.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it is usually inexpensive to pay for a polish, my dry cleaner does it for $5. there are of course more options if your dry cleaner does not

Cedarville Store

Reaction score
Cedarville Store has cedar shoe trees and Cura shoe care products - everything you need to keep your new shoes in great shape!

Current Discount Offers:
styleforum - will take 10% off total order
cvsclub55 - will take $5.00 off Epic Cedar Shoe Trees (only $19.99/pr)
cvsclub44 - will take $4.00 off Washburn Cedar Shoe trees ($27.99/pr)
cvsclub22 - will take $2.00 off Classic Cedar Suit Hanger
freeship - Free Shipping on orders over $75.00

Regards,
Customer Care
www.CedarvilleStore.com

82-Greg

Reaction score
Depends.

Only manual labor can achieve the highest quality shines. Your standards on acceptable shines may differ significantly than mine. All that its needed is a good quality wax, a clean high-quality 100% cotton cloth, a small amount of ice water, elbow grease and time. (Buffing brushes and applicators are unnecessary.) A spare toothbrush (never to be returned to its intended function) can be used to clean the edges of the soles.

If you are looking to wipe off extra shoe cream. Machines work fine. If a mediocre shine is acceptable, the machines can buff your shoes, but you have to manually apply the wax.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 82-Greg
Depends.

Only manual labor can achieve the highest quality shines. Your standards on acceptable shines may differ significantly than mine. All that its needed is a good quality wax, a clean high-quality 100% cotton cloth, a small amount of ice water, elbow grease and time. (Buffing brushes and applicators are unnecessary.) A spare toothbrush (never to be returned to its intended function) can be used to clean the edges of the soles.

If you are looking to wipe off extra shoe cream. Machines work fine. If a mediocre shine is acceptable, the machines can buff your shoes, but you have to manually apply the wax.

Don't forget ladies hose, rum, and moonlight
teacha.gif

ajv

Reaction score
I wouldn't like to use a machine, I like my shoes to be perfect and no machine can achieve that. If you want to have your toe-cap bull-shined you won't be able to achieve it unless you are ready to spend some time to do it.
It usually takes me about 1/2 an hour per shoe just for the bull-shine, but i can tell you that it shines like a mirror......proof below....

But each his own standards..........

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
I wouldn't like to use a machine, I like my shoes to be perfect and no machine can achieve that. If you want to have your toe-cap bull-shined you won't be able to achieve it unless you are ready to spend some time to do it.
It usually takes me about 1/2 an hour per shoe just for the bull-shine, but i can tell you that it shines like a mirror......proof below....

But each his own standards..........

Terrific shine on your shoes! I prefer not to have a high gloss, so I spend about 5 minutes altogether polishing and shining each pair of my shoes.

theycallmedoc

Reaction score
You can get a "real" shoe polishing machine at the link below. Has horsehair brushes and cotton yarn buffs. It would take hours to horsehair brush a shoe the way the machine does it. Warms up the leather and sets the wax. Does a great job in just minutes. Just the thing for those with lots of shoes. The company is also very nice to deal with.

http://www.foresupplyco.com/product...chines_and_Stands_E_Shine_Machines_and_Stands

atlrus

Reaction score
Shining your shoes should be an enjoyable routine, just like shaving...

Wolfador

Reaction score
you can always pay someone else to do it. The attendant at my country club does them while I play around. Just leave a couple dollars in the tip jar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads