shoe polishing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by yellman, Jun 11, 2009.

1. yellman

yellman Senior member

Is there any easier way to polish a shoe then doing it by hand? Do the machine ones work, or just a little bit?

Do they work with shoe polish? Or do they just buff away the dirt?

2. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I've never tried the machines, but I actually like polishing my shoes by hand. I can't say I enjoy ironing a shirt, but I truly enjoy spending an afternoon conditioning and polishing all my shoes. In the fall, I do it on a Sunday while watching football.

3. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

I've never tried the machines, but I actually like polishing my shoes by hand. I can't say I enjoy ironing a shirt, but I truly enjoy spending an afternoon conditioning and polishing all my shoes. In the fall, I do it on a Sunday while watching football.

Bi mor shewz.

4. anon

anon Senior member

try a porter cable. if it works for your car it should also work for your shoes.

don't start with the 200-grit, though.

5. falconboy

falconboy Active Member

6. dv3

dv3 Senior member

it is usually inexpensive to pay for a polish, my dry cleaner does it for $5. there are of course more options if your dry cleaner does not

7. Cedarville Store

Cedarville Store Senior member

Cedarville Store has cedar shoe trees and Cura shoe care products - everything you need to keep your new shoes in great shape!

Current Discount Offers:
    styleforum - will take 10% off total order
    cvsclub55 - will take $5.00 off Epic Cedar Shoe Trees (only $19.99/pr)
    cvsclub44 - will take $4.00 off Washburn Cedar Shoe trees ($27.99/pr)
    cvsclub22 - will take $2.00 off Classic Cedar Suit Hanger
    freeship - Free Shipping on orders over $75.00

Regards,
    Customer Care
    www.CedarvilleStore.com

8. 82-Greg

82-Greg Senior member

Depends.

Only manual labor can achieve the highest quality shines. Your standards on acceptable shines may differ significantly than mine. All that its needed is a good quality wax, a clean high-quality 100% cotton cloth, a small amount of ice water, elbow grease and time. (Buffing brushes and applicators are unnecessary.) A spare toothbrush (never to be returned to its intended function) can be used to clean the edges of the soles.

If you are looking to wipe off extra shoe cream. Machines work fine. If a mediocre shine is acceptable, the machines can buff your shoes, but you have to manually apply the wax.

9. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Depends.

Only manual labor can achieve the highest quality shines. Your standards on acceptable shines may differ significantly than mine. All that its needed is a good quality wax, a clean high-quality 100% cotton cloth, a small amount of ice water, elbow grease and time. (Buffing brushes and applicators are unnecessary.) A spare toothbrush (never to be returned to its intended function) can be used to clean the edges of the soles.

If you are looking to wipe off extra shoe cream. Machines work fine. If a mediocre shine is acceptable, the machines can buff your shoes, but you have to manually apply the wax.

Don't forget ladies hose, rum, and moonlight [​IMG]

10. ajv

ajv Senior member

I wouldn't like to use a machine, I like my shoes to be perfect and no machine can achieve that. If you want to have your toe-cap bull-shined you won't be able to achieve it unless you are ready to spend some time to do it.
    It usually takes me about 1/2 an hour per shoe just for the bull-shine, but i can tell you that it shines like a mirror......proof below....

But each his own standards..........
    [​IMG]

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I wouldn't like to use a machine, I like my shoes to be perfect and no machine can achieve that. If you want to have your toe-cap bull-shined you won't be able to achieve it unless you are ready to spend some time to do it.
    It usually takes me about 1/2 an hour per shoe just for the bull-shine, but i can tell you that it shines like a mirror......proof below....

But each his own standards..........

Terrific shine on your shoes! I prefer not to have a high gloss, so I spend about 5 minutes altogether polishing and shining each pair of my shoes.

12. theycallmedoc

theycallmedoc New Member

You can get a "real" shoe polishing machine at the link below. Has horsehair brushes and cotton yarn buffs. It would take hours to horsehair brush a shoe the way the machine does it. Warms up the leather and sets the wax. Does a great job in just minutes. Just the thing for those with lots of shoes. The company is also very nice to deal with.

http://www.foresupplyco.com/product...chines_and_Stands_E_Shine_Machines_and_Stands

13. atlrus

atlrus Well-Known Member

Shining your shoes should be an enjoyable routine, just like shaving...

14. Wolfador

Wolfador Senior member

you can always pay someone else to do it. The attendant at my country club does them while I play around. Just leave a couple dollars in the tip jar.

15. GBer

GBer Senior member

Translation?