• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Good Brand That Is a Step Above Polo Ralph Lauren (summary included)

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
You should just read for a while. It sounds like you are only familiar with the Polo line that is sold at TJ Maxx & Marshalls w/ the horses on them. There are other polo-line shirts that are much better.

Well, my local TJ Maxx had a pile of Custom Fit Polos. I bought them all for less than half the price of what they cost retail. You can also score some high dollar RL stuff at these stores.

Mike

umadcuzimstylinonu

Reaction score
thanks for the responses so far.

By westcoast I mean Oregon, so the only places I have are Saks Fifth and Nordstrom (sometimes Macys). I don't have a lot of options as far as where to shop since there are no boutiques for the top brand names (hell, the only PRL we have is an outlet...), we don't have Neiman Marcus, etc. Plus, the TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack, etc. never have anything good since few people buy the higher end brands in this area (those stores have ****** quality anyway...I found some polos with holes in them for god sake). Most are content with Hollister or Abercrombie.

To the person above me, I don't like Lacoste. I mentioned that in the original post. Plus, Lacoste isn't even better than PRL in my opinion.

umadcuzimstylinonu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
if you want something that looks expensive and shows everyone that you spend a bit more on your clothes than the PRL customer, then better stick with Armani, Gucci, Versace and Prada. they make branded clothing, are significantly more expensive, and most people know who they are.

Purple Label, Borrelli, Kiton, etc. fail because i'm willing to bet most people don't even know who they are (or RLPL being significantly different from PRL)

oh, and just wanted to point out that your summary is about 60% as long as the actual post
biggrin.gif

Isn't Prada like $200 for a polo? That's not just a step above PRL IMO. That's extremely expensive.

Also, is Burberry really that bad of quality?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by umadcuzimstylinonu
Isn't Prada like $200 for a polo? That's not just a step above PRL IMO. That's extremely expensive.

Also, is Burberry really that bad of quality?

I think you missed the sarcasm in his post: you're concentration on "looking expensive" won't get you far in this forum...

umadcuzimstylinonu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
I think you missed the sarcasm in his post: you're concentration on "looking expensive" won't get you far in this forum...

Looking expensive seriously isn't my intention. I'm really sorry that I came across that way. I'm not that pretentious of a person, really. I'm guessing that a lot of this is coming from the fact that I mentioned how I wanted the thing to be branded slightly. My only intention for this is so that people (especially females) will actually realize that I spent a bit more money on my clothes. To be honest, I don't like logos on shirts, but I buy stuff with a small logo (which is why I like PRL) so that people recognize that I spent a bit more on clothes without looking like a tool. Plus, as I said earlier, those Italian designers, save Armani, are a bit too flamboyant for me. For example, this is a typical D&G shirt, which is a bit too much for me:

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...=1244673896417

A couple other brands that I just looked at that I liked was Hugo Boss and Theory, along with Burberry. Those seemed like decent businesslike, masculine brands that aren't very ostentatious.

But let me try this again by posing a new question: For someone like me who has fairly limited resources but wants to dress smartly (business casual/professional), what are some good brands (regardless of branding, etc.)?

hitokiri8

Reaction score
If you like the look and fit of Hugo Boss, Theory and Burberry, by all means that's what you should get. If you want the advice of this forum regarding quality clothing, you're going to end up spending way more money than you want to/should. And if you found your way on this forum, that may very well end up happening regardless.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking expensive seriously isn't my intention.

My only intention for this is so that people (especially females) will actually realize that I spent a bit more money on my clothes.
My only question is: why?

Are you single and looking to attract a girl based on clothes?

But let me try this again by posing a new question: For someone like me who has fairly limited resources but wants to dress smartly (business casual/professional), what are some good brands (regardless of branding, etc.)?
I stick to Brooks Brothers, but you already ruled that out. If you're stuck on having a logo on your shirts then you're options are going to be severely limited wrt quality.

unagiluva

Reaction score
thanks for the responses so far.

By westcoast I mean Oregon, so the only places I have are Saks Fifth and Nordstrom (sometimes Macys). I don't have a lot of options as far as where to shop since there are no boutiques for the top brand names (hell, the only PRL we have is an outlet...), we don't have Neiman Marcus, etc. Plus, the TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack, etc. never have anything good since few people buy the higher end brands in this area (those stores have ****** quality anyway...I found some polos with holes in them for god sake). Most are content with Hollister or Abercrombie.

To the person above me, I don't like Lacoste. I mentioned that in the original post. Plus, Lacoste isn't even better than PRL in my opinion.

You have Mario's on Broadway. That is a very excellent store in terms of what they stock, not so excellent store in terms of price.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I h8 this whole thread.

metkirk

Reaction score
Looking expensive seriously isn't my intention. I'm really sorry that I came across that way. I'm not that pretentious of a person, really. I'm guessing that a lot of this is coming from the fact that I mentioned how I wanted the thing to be branded slightly. My only intention for this is so that people (especially females) will actually realize that I spent a bit more money on my clothes.

There's nothing wrong with trying to look expensive, you don't have to apologize. I'd wear both heavily branded and non branded stuff if I feel like it. The clothes you wear should give you satisfaction whether it's about the quality/fit or the ability to brag.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I h8 this whole thread.

I h8 numbers in in w0rds.

But; I dont spread the word hate around unnecessarly. I jokes.

To the OP... try different thinks... Try the buy/sell forum to test out different labels. But if you want to both dress nice, and look like you spent alot of money without actually doing so......
Wear Polo. Get it tailored. Youll look great, and definatly get good bang for your buck. Then.... and this isnt something Id tell anyone on the forum about........ buy a replica louis vuiton/burberry/gucci messenger bag or briefcase. Very distinctive styles, noone here will like it, but girls will think you spend alot of money, and know fashion. (Fashion....not style)

P.S: If you ever post in the WAYWRN thread.... dont include said replica. It will not go over well.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
buy a replica louis vuiton/burberry/gucci messenger bag or briefcase. Very distinctive styles, noone here will like it, but girls will think you spend alot of money, and know fashion.

And they'll think he's gay as hell... let's not forget: this is Oregon, not Paris or NYC

Honestly, if the OP is wanting to wear labels to attract girls, there are bigger problems than clothes. I could go on and on, but there are much better resources.

A good place to start is mASF, where you'll quickly learn what it takes to pick up women.

You can also try this book or even this book here, which is a bit more fun to read...

umadcuzimstylinonu

Reaction score
It's not just to impress girls/future coworkers. As far as women are concerned, it's just so that they know that I care about my appearance and am not like most of the tools here that just wear what's trendy. As far as coworkers/job-wise, I want to convey that I am professional, have good taste, etc. Just as the type of cologne someone wears engenders an image inside the smeller's head about the person, the same can be said about cologne. It's not to make girls date me for my clothes, it's just about adding to my image.

EDIT: I guess I'll just stick with my PRL, Brooks, and J. Crew and then add some Black Label pieces when I feel like it. Can you guys help me with a couple more things though:

1. Where would they sell Ralph Lauren Black Label? Would Saks Fifth or Nordstrom carry it?

2. What's a good fragrance (looking for something that a business person, or someone with ambition would wear)? I've heard that Polo Double Black, D&G Light Blue, Armani Code/Aqua Di Gio are good, any others?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not just to impress girls/future coworkers.

You're still admitting that at some level, you want these labels to attract women. Seriously, at least buy one of the books I listed or join the above forum. You might be surprised at what you learn...

If you have the EXACT same opinion as you do now, after reading one of those books, I'll agree that you've got it all figured out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads