• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
I'm still working on 1984. I just can't seem to get into it.

I have the same problem with Catch-22. That book can go to hell-er.

Rereading Andrew Wyeth: A Secret Life and just started Notes From Underground.

delirium

Reaction score
yeah i have that problem with a lot of books including catch-22. it was amusing enough just didn't get into it. working on kavalier and clay as well as sams teach yourself php right now

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
I'm reading The Sound and the Fury and The Brothers Karamazov (Almost finished).

As far as The Sound and the Fury is concerned, I'm still trying to figure out why Caddy 'smells like trees.' I have an idea, but I'm not too sure.

Benjy is marsupialed so I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to take him literally.

ozymandias

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
I am reading " to kill a mocking bird" so far it is a real yawner

Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Benjy is marsupialed so I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to take him literally.

lol

Currently reading The Singularity is Near. So far, it is way repetitive (Moore's law, Moore's law, Moore's law) and lacks rigor. But I like thinking about the possibilities that the future might bring in terms of technology and its effects on society, like thinking about winning the lottery.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some philosophy of technology/AI books of more substance?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As far as The Sound and the Fury is concerned, I'm still trying to figure out why Caddy 'smells like trees.' I have an idea, but I'm not too sure.

IIRC she stops smelling like trees after she starts **********.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril

Yes, but it's also William Faulkner, so there's got to be some sort of significance. And, I wasn't taking anything literally, but, I think the fact that he states that Caddy continuously smells like trees (As a virgin) has a weight that belies his mental challenges. It's an abstraction, but they almost have to be because he can't mentally process his thoughts in a way that are recognizable.

What can be shown cannot be said!

- Wittgenstein

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, but it's also William Faulkner, so there's got to be some sort of significance. And, I wasn't taking anything literally, but, I think the fact that he states that Caddy continuously smells like trees (As a virgin) has a weight that belies his mental challenges. It's an abstraction, but they almost have to be because he can't mentally process his thoughts in a way that are recognizable. What can be shown cannot be said! - Wittgenstein
Quoting Wittgenstein...! Rach must be creaming his panties.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kavalier and Klay fell apart when WWII hits. Chabon writes beautifully about being young and stupid, but I never get on with him when he tries to tackle Big Themes.

Just started Richard Price's Bloodbrothers.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Kavalier and Klay fell apart when WWII hits. Chabon writes beautifully about being young and stupid, but I never get on with him when he tries to tackle Big Themes. Just started Richard Price's Bloodbrothers.
Let me know how that is. I loved Lush Life.

delirium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
lol

Currently reading The Singularity is Near. So far, it is way repetitive (Moore's law, Moore's law, Moore's law) and lacks rigor. But I like thinking about the possibilities that the future might bring in terms of technology and its effects on society, like thinking about winning the lottery.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some philosophy of technology/AI books of more substance?

not really AI and singularity - but more future biological technology type stuff
Fukuyama - Our Posthuman Future
Lee Silver - Challenging Nature

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by delirium
not really AI and singularity - but more future biological technology type stuff
Fukuyama - Our Posthuman Future
Lee Silver - Challenging Nature

Fukuyama the neocon guy? Huh. I'll definitely have to check these out.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but it's also William Faulkner, so there's got to be some sort of significance. And, I wasn't taking anything literally, but, I think the fact that he states that Caddy continuously smells like trees (As a virgin) has a weight that belies his mental challenges. It's an abstraction, but they almost have to be because he can't mentally process his thoughts in a way that are recognizable.

What can be shown cannot be said!

- Wittgenstein

Literal and significant aren't connected at the hip. Embrace the universe Faulkner created, as he created it, for a more productive reading.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads