What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

I'm still working on 1984. I just can't seem to get into it.

I have the same problem with Catch-22. That book can go to hell-er.

Rereading Andrew Wyeth: A Secret Life and just started Notes From Underground.

2. delirium

delirium Senior member

yeah i have that problem with a lot of books including catch-22. it was amusing enough just didn't get into it. working on kavalier and clay as well as sams teach yourself php right now

3. Johnny Amiga

Johnny Amiga Senior member

The Vertigo of Late Modernity by Jock Young, liking it a lot.

4. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I'm reading The Sound and the Fury and The Brothers Karamazov (Almost finished).

As far as The Sound and the Fury is concerned, I'm still trying to figure out why Caddy 'smells like trees.' I have an idea, but I'm not too sure.

Benjy is retarded so I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to take him literally.

5. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Gotten to Farnham's Freehold yet? My personal fav aside....

+1

6. ozymandias

ozymandias Senior member

I am reading " to kill a mocking bird" so far it is a real yawner

Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

7. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

Benjy is retarded so I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to take him literally.

lol

Currently reading The Singularity is Near. So far, it is way repetitive (Moore's law, Moore's law, Moore's law) and lacks rigor. But I like thinking about the possibilities that the future might bring in terms of technology and its effects on society, like thinking about winning the lottery.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some philosophy of technology/AI books of more substance?

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

As far as The Sound and the Fury is concerned, I'm still trying to figure out why Caddy 'smells like trees.' I have an idea, but I'm not too sure.

IIRC she stops smelling like trees after she starts having sex.

9. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Yes, but it's also William Faulkner, so there's got to be some sort of significance. And, I wasn't taking anything literally, but, I think the fact that he states that Caddy continuously smells like trees (As a virgin) has a weight that belies his mental challenges. It's an abstraction, but they almost have to be because he can't mentally process his thoughts in a way that are recognizable.

What can be shown cannot be said!

- Wittgenstein

10. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Yes, but it's also William Faulkner, so there's got to be some sort of significance. And, I wasn't taking anything literally, but, I think the fact that he states that Caddy continuously smells like trees (As a virgin) has a weight that belies his mental challenges. It's an abstraction, but they almost have to be because he can't mentally process his thoughts in a way that are recognizable. What can be shown cannot be said! - Wittgenstein
    Quoting Wittgenstein...! Rach must be creaming his panties.

11. milosz

milosz Senior member

Kavalier and Klay fell apart when WWII hits. Chabon writes beautifully about being young and stupid, but I never get on with him when he tries to tackle Big Themes.

Just started Richard Price's Bloodbrothers.

12. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Kavalier and Klay fell apart when WWII hits. Chabon writes beautifully about being young and stupid, but I never get on with him when he tries to tackle Big Themes. Just started Richard Price's Bloodbrothers.
    Let me know how that is. I loved Lush Life.

13. delirium

delirium Senior member

lol

Currently reading The Singularity is Near. So far, it is way repetitive (Moore's law, Moore's law, Moore's law) and lacks rigor. But I like thinking about the possibilities that the future might bring in terms of technology and its effects on society, like thinking about winning the lottery.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some philosophy of technology/AI books of more substance?

not really AI and singularity - but more future biological technology type stuff
    Fukuyama - Our Posthuman Future
    Lee Silver - Challenging Nature

14. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

not really AI and singularity - but more future biological technology type stuff
    Fukuyama - Our Posthuman Future
    Lee Silver - Challenging Nature

Fukuyama the neocon guy? Huh. I'll definitely have to check these out.

15. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Yes, but it's also William Faulkner, so there's got to be some sort of significance. And, I wasn't taking anything literally, but, I think the fact that he states that Caddy continuously smells like trees (As a virgin) has a weight that belies his mental challenges. It's an abstraction, but they almost have to be because he can't mentally process his thoughts in a way that are recognizable.

What can be shown cannot be said!

- Wittgenstein

Literal and significant aren't connected at the hip. Embrace the universe Faulkner created, as he created it, for a more productive reading.