• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1980's corporate fashion

wheelsx45

Reaction score
When you think of 1980s corporate/business fashion, what things comes to mind? I think of the clothing worn by the fictional character Gordon Gekko, but what part of the style reflect the 80's trends?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Gekko was not corporate, nor supposed to look it. He was richer, more independent, and more flamboyant. He dressed the way no corporate drone could dare.

I think of yellow "power ties" above all.

pejsek

Reaction score
I think the idea that the fictional character Gordon Gekko represented anything is, well, fiction. immsmc--and it very well may not--the clothes for Wall St were made by Alan Flusser and Morty Sills. Morty Sills represented basically no one and very few went to Flusser at the time. The movie has aged badly. Most Wall St drones dressed at least as badly then as they do now.

Pitt 84

Reaction score
When I look back to those days the best description is the book "Book Dress for Success". Actually I dress pretty much the same now as then...HSM, Hickey Freeman, A&E, J&M, Alden, Nettelton, Cole Haan, Pendelton, Filson, monogramed point collar or button down pin points, braces, v-neck sweaters, Barracuta, Burberry trench, British Warm, Adidas sambas...I came up in the 70's and what I aspired to then suits me now....
cool.gif

Be seeing you

Pitt 84

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
When I think of Boston in 1981, I think of a harmonious BB/Press/Andover Shop look across school, law, banking, and finance.

- B

Nexus6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
I think the idea that the fictional character Gordon Gekko represented anything is, well, fiction. immsmc--and it very well may not--the clothes for Wall St were made by Alan Flusser and Morty Sills. Morty Sills represented basically no one and very few went to Flusser at the time. The movie has aged badly. Most Wall St drones dressed at least as badly then as they do now.

In what way has 'Wall Street' aged badly?
Can you give examples?
Gekko's clothes still look fine to me.
Bud Fox's wardrobe improves as the story progresses, and looks ok to me.

The only things that appear dated are:

The jumbo portable phone Gekko used on the beach.
gecko.gif

The trade room computers ofcourse..
bud-fox%20joins%20the%20sec.jpg

The computer & jumbo phone Sir Larry Wildman uses on his yacht,
although to be fair, that computer doesn't look half-bad at all today.
The sweater looks great too.
wall_street_2.jpg

But the clothes...to me still look just fine!
wall-street-gekko.jpg

...and near the end of the film, when Gekko Meets Foxx in Central Park,
keep an eye for Gekko flashing his Burberry trench coat.
Hand in pocket, waggling the Nova Check...blink and you'll miss it.

Albern

Reaction score
Don't forget the scene where Bud Fox and his girlfriend (the "artist) were decorating his new apartment; that looked pretty bad. The last nail in the coffin was that abstract art with the heads coming out of the picture frame.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
When I think of Boston in 1981, I think of a harmonious BB/Press/Andover Shop look across school, law, banking, and finance.

- B

The time before Rubinacci and Asians...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
imo Moonlighting-era Bruce Willis was a bigger style influence in 80s corporate fashion as against Mr. Gekko
86-35.jpg
86-7.jpg

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
Contrast collar shirts and DB's with notch lapels.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And just on the fringe (1992), check out the double breasted overload from "The Player"

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone object to contrasting collars and cuffs? I think done right, it frames the face well and isn't "dated". I would keep the rest of the ensemble toned down a bit though.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
Does anyone object to contrasting collars and cuffs? I think done right, it frames the face well and isn't "dated". I would keep the rest of the ensemble toned down a bit though.
I don't mind this so much on an individual shirt so much as it seems to bother me when I notice someone has re-branded themselves 'Contrast collar and shirt boy". Just a short time ago, it used to be in America we needed to justify dense patterns or bold colors with a white collar and cuff but now that just about anything goes, pffft, why bother?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads