• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes With Character

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stantons016.jpg

Finsbury005.jpg

Chesea002.jpg

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
^bigbris, the first pair is outstanding.

Thanks. RL Stanton. One of the last RL made in Italy shoes welted with hidden channel soles.

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've had these allen edmonds 'halsted' model for around 6 years I think. I wore them every single day for 3 years in highschool (private school). no resoling or any work done on them. occasionally polished. I haven't worn them since I graduated but I might get them resoled at some point. they're a bit beaten up so I dont really know if I would want to wear them anymore unless you guys have any ideas for getting them back into good condition.
IMG_2811Medium.jpg
IMG_2816Medium.jpg
IMG_2812Medium.jpg
IMG_2813Medium.jpg

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would keep them for sentimental value, but it looks like they became unsuitable for wear a very long time ago.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
I would keep them for sentimental value, but it looks like they became unsuitable for wear a very long time ago.

+1. AE recraft is the way to go. I've seen proof that they can breathe new life into a pair of well loved shoes.

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
+1. AE recraft is the way to go. I've seen proof that they can breathe new life into a pair of well loved shoes.

thanks! I'll check this out and will post results if I go through with it. I'll definitely be getting my moneys worth with this pair, haha.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dibadiba
thanks! I'll check this out and will post results if I go through with it. I'll definitely be getting my moneys worth with this pair, haha.

[Before and] after pics are a must.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Talent3.jpg

Talent6.jpg

Clark

Reaction score
These are a pair of Alfred Sargents that is my brothers. He bought them 8 years ago and it was his first goodyear welted shoes. They are corrected grain, but has held up amazingly well. He has taken good care of them and always used shoe trees. The corrected grain finished have cracked, but not the leather. And the construction is rock solid:

as1bfj.jpg

as3p.jpg

as4p.jpg

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Clark. I like the blakeys which I thought I was buying when I pulled the trigger on the 4cm version which look more like heel tap. Oh well.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dibadiba
I've had these allen edmonds 'halsted' model for around 6 years I think. I wore them every single day for 3 years in highschool (private school). no resoling or any work done on them. occasionally polished. I haven't worn them since I graduated but I might get them resoled at some point. they're a bit beaten up so I dont really know if I would want to wear them anymore unless you guys have any ideas for getting them back into good condition.

The fact that you were able to wear those into that condition is a testament to their quality. Those are some well-loved shoes. A lesser pair would have been in the trash long, long ago.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Talent3.jpg

Talent6.jpg

oops, nearly forgot to update the result:

workshop3.jpg

workshop6-2.jpg

kissrestoration.jpg

the black ones are receiving a fading by the sun on my balcony.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
while holding up a private trunk show in vienna a few days ago, a friend of mine mentioned, that he owns a pair Mr. Kiss made for him in 1990.

today, i received some pics. admittedly, they need some tlc. on the other hand, they never saw a repair shop. that speaks imo for their quality.

DeralteKiss004.jpg

DeralteKiss002.jpg

DeralteKiss003.jpg

DeralteKiss001.jpg

no need to say, that they have a lot of mileage taken in the two decades.
cheers.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads