• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

married posters...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I've never heard of such a thing. Why would you need counselling before getting married?

Not sure if that's a joke but bo you really think a few hours of listening to someone's religious views on marriage will help the clueless who post in those threads?

Now that I think about it, there was a Rabbi I spoke to prior to getting to married who suggested my wife attend a class in order to learn the Jewish laws of family purity.

The Catholic Church's counseling thing is pretty much that- a futile attempt to make sure that we practice Catholic teachings specially their rules on reproductivity (lets not go there).

Heard my father told the story of him having to ask special permission from the priest for him and my mom to get married since he isn't Catholic. The priest was very against it and wouldn't reconsider- until my father saw him coming out of a massage parlor and said hi to the priest. Next day he got the priest's approval.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure if that's a joke but bo you really think a few hours of listening to someone's religious views on marriage will help the clueless who post in those threads?

Now that I think about it, there was a Rabbi I spoke to prior to getting to married who suggested my wife attend a class in order to learn the Jewish laws of family purity.

that was exactly why we got married in vegas - to get married by a rabbi legaly in israel you needed to meet with a rabbi and then my wife would have had to have a ritual bath. we opted for elvis.

Hany

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
the catholic church we wanted to be married in required us to go through a 2 day pre-marital counseling/seminar and there wasn't much of a choice if we want to go through with it. i remember falling asleep during most talks. I do distinctly remember dozing off during a natural breastfeeding advocacy talk was being held- and waking up hearing the speaker, a mother of 2, say that she stopped breastfeeding her kids when they reached 9 years old.
lol funny story

millionaire75

Reaction score
acidicboy;2065535 said:
The Catholic Church's counseling thing is pretty much that- a futile attempt to make sure that we practice Catholic teachings specially their rules on reproductivity (lets not go there).

QUOTE]

We did the whole pre-cana thing. It was split into two parts. The first part was an older couple who have been married for years telling funny stories and offering relationship advice which was nice. The second (much longer part) was this younger guy going on and on about ********** only for reproduction and all the history of certain words in the English language.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
The second (much longer part) was this younger guy going on and on about ********** only for reproduction and all the history of certain words in the English language.

So if you want to have one child you are expected not to ******** after your wife becomes pregnant?

millionaire75

Reaction score
Something about never using birth control and only to do it during certain periods in her menstrual cycle when she isn't fertile....I have no clue, stopped listening about 20 minutes into his speech....

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We did not. On the other hand, we dated for 8 years before getting married. I don't think there's much a counselor could have told us that would have registered in any way.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
We did not. On the other hand, we dated for 8 years before getting married. I don't think there's much a counselor could have told us that would have registered in any way.
Did you marry a Jersey girl?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Catholics are expected to practice "natural family planning." Hilariously, the couples who led our weekend didn't really know anything about it--they both said they would just take however many children God chose to give them.

More hilariously, several of the other couples did know about it--for one, it involved the guy calling his fiance in the morning (they didn't live in sin) to get her to check her temperature. He recorded it in a log so they could track and predict her cycle, and "plan their family" that way.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did not

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Considering your wife is asian I doubt she's Jewish, did you get a religious ceremony of some kind, two? or None at all maybe...

Yes - Jewish ceremony - was very nice, rabbi was very touching and famility and friends were very touched (which is pretty much expected at a wedding). Fuuma, this is America ! You can have a Jewish wedding without a forced (but not really called "forced") conversion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads