• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving shoes not only for driving

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
I hear/read a lot about driving shoes/mocs and that even though they are designed for driving, many use them as casual shoes.
Looking at the sole of the shoe I can't really see how that would be comfortable on the street. So how do the numbers stAck?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
I hear/read a lot about driving shoes/mocs and that even though they are designed for driving, many use them as casual shoes.
Looking at the sole of the shoe I can't really see how that would be comfortable on the street. So how do the numbers stAck?

They're not. Really bad for walking. Also if you get the kind with the nubs, they will wear out fairly fast if you walk in them and then you have shoes that are still in fairly good shape (the uppers) that are worn out on the bottom and can't be repaired (I don't believe).

I'm wearing a pair right now, but I just got out of the car after a 6 hour drive.

boston009

Reaction score
I wear them around the house, almost as a substitute for slippers. I don't wear them if I know I'll be walking any significant distance on a sidewalk...

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though I usually buy 1/2 a size up & insert a inner sole..

FWIW - I find them more comfortable to walk around in than boat-shoes..
stirpot.gif

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
FWIW - I find them more comfortable to walk around in than boat-shoes..
stirpot.gif

+1 If you can walk around in boat shoes, you can walk around in drivers. I have a pair from Tod's (made for Lane Crawford) in python that are holding up well after 7 years of use. No serious nub wear yet.

Guero

Reaction score
Their popularity is certainly not a consequence of their use in driving -- it's due to their comfort for walking and the many ways they can be stylishly added to a casual outfit.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wearing them on pavement will eat up the soles very quickly. The soles can not be replaced ( the ones with the dimples). They can be replaced with a rubber bottom. Your best off wearing them while driving or inside, around the house or office.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear mine for driving. I prefer to not wear them for walking, but I have on rare occasion. I find them to be very comfortable for walking.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually find them very comfortable. Something to consider is that the soles are rubber and not a whole lot of it so they wont last a ridiculously long time no matter what you do. I wear them for the street all the time...

factorial

Reaction score
They're certainly no more uncomfortable to wear for walking than the majority of leather-soled bluchers or balmorals. I wouldn't walk around on city streets with them often due to the aforementioned wear issues, but they are definitely fine if you're mostly going to be inside.

(And though they're more comfortable than classic Sperrys, there are a lot of boat shoes more comfortable than classic Sperrys for walking around.)

Cornellian

Reaction score
Aside from wear issues, I can't imagine a shoe like this would be healthy. They provide little support for the bottom of the foot, and almost zero lateral support. As factorial says, they may be as comfortable as a leather soled blucher, but at least that shoe 1) offers some support in the footbed and 2) has some stiffness to the leather to support the foot and ankle.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're fine for driving or a summer party, but I wouldn't wear these for any length of time.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mostly for driving and walking 2-3 blocks (not 1 block more
butbut.gif
).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics