Driving shoes not only for driving

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ProfessorShak, May 11, 2009.

1. ProfessorShak

ProfessorShak Senior member

I hear/read a lot about driving shoes/mocs and that even though they are designed for driving, many use them as casual shoes.
    Looking at the sole of the shoe I can't really see how that would be comfortable on the street. So how do the numbers stAck?

2. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

I hear/read a lot about driving shoes/mocs and that even though they are designed for driving, many use them as casual shoes.
    Looking at the sole of the shoe I can't really see how that would be comfortable on the street. So how do the numbers stAck?

They're not. Really bad for walking. Also if you get the kind with the nubs, they will wear out fairly fast if you walk in them and then you have shoes that are still in fairly good shape (the uppers) that are worn out on the bottom and can't be repaired (I don't believe).

I'm wearing a pair right now, but I just got out of the car after a 6 hour drive.

3. boston009

boston009 Active Member

I wear them around the house, almost as a substitute for slippers. I don't wear them if I know I'll be walking any significant distance on a sidewalk...

4. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Though I usually buy 1/2 a size up & insert a inner sole..

FWIW - I find them more comfortable to walk around in than boat-shoes..[​IMG]

5. instep

instep Senior member

FWIW - I find them more comfortable to walk around in than boat-shoes..[​IMG]
    +1 If you can walk around in boat shoes, you can walk around in drivers. I have a pair from Tod's (made for Lane Crawford) in python that are holding up well after 7 years of use. No serious nub wear yet.

6. anon

anon Senior member

The ones I have (Clarks) are pretty comfortable for walking but pretty UNcomfortable to drive in.

7. Guero

Guero Senior member

Their popularity is certainly not a consequence of their use in driving -- it's due to their comfort for walking and the many ways they can be stylishly added to a casual outfit.

8. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wearing them on pavement will eat up the soles very quickly. The soles can not be replaced ( the ones with the dimples). They can be replaced with a rubber bottom. Your best off wearing them while driving or inside, around the house or office.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I wear mine for driving. I prefer to not wear them for walking, but I have on rare occasion. I find them to be very comfortable for walking.

10. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

I actually find them very comfortable. Something to consider is that the soles are rubber and not a whole lot of it so they wont last a ridiculously long time no matter what you do. I wear them for the street all the time...

11. factorial

factorial Senior member

They're certainly no more uncomfortable to wear for walking than the majority of leather-soled bluchers or balmorals. I wouldn't walk around on city streets with them often due to the aforementioned wear issues, but they are definitely fine if you're mostly going to be inside.

(And though they're more comfortable than classic Sperrys, there are a lot of boat shoes more comfortable than classic Sperrys for walking around.)

12. Cas Ruffin

Cas Ruffin Senior member

13. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Senior member

Just don't wear them to parties.

Or in the rain. [​IMG]

14. Cornellian

Cornellian Senior member

Aside from wear issues, I can't imagine a shoe like this would be healthy. They provide little support for the bottom of the foot, and almost zero lateral support. As factorial says, they may be as comfortable as a leather soled blucher, but at least that shoe 1) offers some support in the footbed and 2) has some stiffness to the leather to support the foot and ankle.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're fine for driving or a summer party, but I wouldn't wear these for any length of time.

15. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Mostly for driving and walking 2-3 blocks (not 1 block more [​IMG] ).