• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Star Trek : Go Watch It

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I watched a rerun of the original series recently. Basically, it struck me like zany, self-aware camp.
It's entertaining though. The newer Star Trek series, all of them, are for permanent escapists like SG-1 which I only have seen a few partial episodes of and the New BattleStar Galactica which I never saw but figured it was a nerd fest. Although truthfully, I rarely watch anything on TV besides sports, Simpsons/Family Guy and a little financial news.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from it tonight. It was the first movie I have seen in Korea. Thankfully, it was in English and the special effects were not compromised. Very good movie and really entertaining. Go watch it.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of dedicated fan art trying to capture the mood of the original series chemistry:
omgh.jpg

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shakermaker
I saw the movie last night. I've been a fan of Star Trek since the original series, so I was really looking forward to this. I thought it was good. I wasn't wowed, but didn't feel disappointment either. It was certainly the best Trek movie in years. Far and away better than any of the Next Generation movies, although not as good as Trek movies 2, 4, and 6. It you watched the original series, I think you'll appreciate the inside jokes/humor (of which there are many), but as my gf told me, still entertaining if you were never a fan. Plus, without giving too much away, Abrams put his own unique twist on the Star Trek universe while preserving Gene Roddenberry's vision, which was interesting and appreciated.

+1 on this. While I'm not a huge Trek fan, I thought it was great for a Star Trek movie, which is definitely not difficult given the last couple movies, but it wasn't outstanding. In the context of thinking about it as a standalone sci-fi movie, it's pretty mediocre.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
In the context of thinking about it as a standalone sci-fi movie, it's pretty mediocre.
Really? Compared to most Sci-Fi movies(which are few, and the good ones are even fewer), I'd rank the new Star Trek movie as a pretty good sci-fi/action flick.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Mission Impossible 3?

Mission Impossible 3 was awesome.
mad.gif

SirWilliam

Reaction score
I thought it was awesome...I generally don't like SciFi movies and I have only seen one episode of Star Trek before.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw it tonight with my wife.

It was awesome.

We are not Trekkies by any stretch, but I've seen a few episodes of the old ST, some ST Next Gen, and all the previous movies.

The special effects were believable.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Really?

Compared to most Sci-Fi movies(which are few, and the good ones are even fewer), I'd rank the new Star Trek movie as a pretty good sci-fi/action flick.

Yep, it was more summer action flick than sci-fi, which is why I didn't think it was a solid standalone sci-fi flick, but was definitely better than all the recent Star Trek movies.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Saw it today. It was good, but it didn't totally blow me away.

Enjoyed the green-skinned hottie and other homages to the old series though.

I'm sure there will be sequels and we'll see how they play out.

I like getting back to the original Enterprise ship and costumes.

Liam

Reaction score
This movie surpassed what I expected, I might even go see it again it was that good.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
This was great, easily lived up to expectations. The casting was spot on, esp for Bones and Scotty. Quinto was born to play Spock

would def see this again

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member