• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know what? I'm REALLY lonely.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say the same thing I say in all of these threads, which is about half flippant and half deadly serious:

al

co

hol.

Social interactions have needed lubrication for thousands of years, and fortunately our stone age forebears found the perfect solution. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Find a group of people (hiking club, book discussion group, softball team, whatever). Some of them will go to an establishment that serves booze at some point. Go with them. Drink with them. Repeat, and after a few iterations you will now have some friends.

Try *.craigslist.org/act/ where *=your city.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liam
Maybe volunteer your time, you'll meet new people and help others as well.

Have you ever tried volunteering? I did meals on wheels for about 2 months when I was unemployed - just one day a week. Everyone there was crack heads and the guy running the place thought I was gay because surely no young, straight man would volunteer his time. It was something to occupy my time, but no one cool was there.

Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Find a group of people (hiking club, book discussion group, softball team, whatever). Some of them will go to an establishment that serves booze at some point. Go with them. Drink with them. Repeat, and after a few iterations you will now have some friends.

Try *.craigslist.org/act/ where *=your city.

Im pretty lame and dont have "hobbies". Just telling someone to go find a club and make friends is tough when you dont do much. however, I have to agree with the point above.

I moved to a new city and joined an adult kickball league for fun about 2 years ago. My commitment was only hanging out with these people once a week and having a little fun. But we drink at the field and go to the bars after all games and all became friends. Now I go to parties with them, weddings and have some other life outside of my usual one. We are very accepting of new people who want to join our group as we were all in the same boat at some point. Some people go away, some come in, but its always there.

On the flip side, I joined a softball team and was historically bad. I mean, I struck out almost every at bat in SLOW pitch softball. They were weekend warrior types, super serious, didnt drink and were generally a-holes. But one guy I did become friends with and still talk to occasionally. Just know what kind of people you like.

TyroneFig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgoose
Straight up, get a job at a resteraunt on weekends or something. I moved to a new city after university for work, didn't know anyone, and the job I was doing I worked pretty much on my own, only interacting with customers and delivery people and a couple of people under me, anyways I did it for 3 years and hated this city and my life.

Then my job ended, I picked up a stop gap job at a resteraunt, intending to do it for a few months until my place sold, and ended up having a great time and meeting great people.

If that's not your forte (I think the transition from sales to server was easy because of the similar skill sets) then find something that is where you are forced to interact with people on a weekly basis.

Anyways good luck man, I remember those friday and sat nights where i had nothing to do but hit the gym and rent a movie, it can get depressing.

I'll think about it.. but I have a retail job right now so I interact with people and I still feel just.. empty and lonely.

I haven't done anything on a friday night for the last 5 years at least

TyroneFig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
Yes I'm serious. There was a time in my life where I don't get enough time by myself. People would harass me to no end and I'd secretly wished they would all go away, by natural or unnatural means. Personal relationships weren't all that great for me either. These days, many of my friends are moving on and besides work I do have enough time to enjoy my own companion, but it does get lonely sometimes. In these times, I usually turn to Da Man. It feels like you have someone to talk to. I think keeping some type of faith is always good.

No, sorry. I'm an atheist for life..

TyroneFig

Reaction score
Yeah I'm PARTICULARLY phobic of the society's handicapped or drug users etc..

and I don't drink.

I like venting about being lonely but I don't deny the notion that I'm fucked

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liam
Maybe volunteer your time, you'll meet new people and help others as well.
Chin up, wishing you better days!

Ditto. Man up dude. Get involved, get out of your room- that is how you meet people.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyroneFig
I'll think about it.. but I have a retail job right now so I interact with people and I still feel just.. empty and lonely.
Retail jobs are the soul-sucking vampires of the working world. Also...you kinda come across as a bit of an asshole, maybe that's part of the reason?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I too am really lonely.

No girlfriend. No real friends.

I typically only get one phone call a week-- to go out and play pool.

My living circumstances are humiliating. I can't relax or concentrate. I feel like I've been separated from my own creativity, which is really the source of my identity.

How serious do you want me to get with this?

i'll kick it with you one day, man. not that i am some exciting, interesting guy, but hey...i think im cool enough.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i am boring as **** IRL. i spend all my free time lifting weights or drawing. most people are boring. revel in it.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cummon guys i know people who have moved from other countries and with in 6 months have a solid group of people to hang with. they may just be lucky but you guys also cant be trying hard enough.

r...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyroneFig
Yeah I'm PARTICULARLY phobic of the society's handicapped or drug users etc..

and I don't drink.

I like venting about being lonely but I don't deny the notion that I'm fucked

Nothing will change if you’re not willing to get out of your comfort zone. Or you could sit around melancholically posting about how being a misanthrope has left you lonely with only a gym sock to impregnate when the ennui subsides enough for you to get an erection... y'know stuff like that.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
cummon guys i know people who have moved from other countries and with in 6 months have a solid group of people to hang with. they may just be lucky but you guys also cant be trying hard enough.
Not trying at all, tbh. I was really busy for the first few months. Then I was enjoying not having any social obligations to anybody for a while. Just the past month or so I've been realising I need to get out and do **** though. Seriously though, the Midwest ******* sucks. I'm drowning in white trash.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads