• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hoboing - Is it possible today?

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to survive by sleeping in homeless shelters, and bumming your way from city to city, without any cash? Are there day jobs that a homeless person can get to earn a few dollars? I'm seriously considering this.
frown.gif
I'd appreciate any advice anyone has.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
You wanna see the world on the cheap or you're in a bad spot right now?

If it's the first a combination of couchsurfing.com/friends and friends of friends and random day jobs (bar, washing dishes, picking up fruit, etc) should do the trick.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
of course its possible, and good for the character. try it for a year or two. read "down and out in London and Paris" by orwell.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
It's the second. The first is a bonus.

I just wanna know that if I walk out the door tomorrow, that I won't die within the first week.

You will. You need a modicum of food and preparation, notably a network of friends and acquaintances, a working cellphone and some money for plane tickets and occasionel internet access. Note that I know people in their thirties who have never really worked so depending on how good your network and hustling powers are...

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You will. You need a modicum of food and preparation, notably a network of friends and acquaintances, a working cellphone and some money for plane tickets and occasionel internet access. Note that I know people in their thirties who have never really worked so depending on how good your network and hustling powers are...

This isn't what I'm talking about. The whole point of this is that I'm broke, and I really need to get out of my family's house. I've always wanted to see the US. Homeless people seem to survive.

Originally Posted by bluemagic
Would you have to break any laws to survive this way?

Would I?

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Day labor.

I've thought about doing something like this, but more respectable - I'd like to spend six months in a city, then move on, repeat, until I've hit all the places I want to explore.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
This isn't what I'm talking about. The whole point of this is that I'm broke, and I really need to get out of my family's house. I've always wanted to see the US. Homeless people seem to survive.

It is very possible. When I was younger I played in hardcore bands and we played a lot of squats and communes, I was shocked at the variety of people I met there. It was hobo culture, living for free and eating off of/participating in Food Not Bombs. People that still hopped freight cars and stayed in welcome houses. They made it seem easy and preferred the lifestyle to mine, the only time I ever hopped a train was from Richmond to Atlanta and that was just for fun. It is a wild life, very adventurous but not for everyone. They have message boards if you really are interested.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole point of this is that I'm broke, and I really need to get out of my family's house.

Have you thought about joining the military? Might not be a bad option.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Or it might be a very, very bad option.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
It is very possible. When I was younger I played in hardcore bands and we played a lot of squats and communes, I was shocked at the variety of people I met there. It was hobo culture, living for free and eating off of/participating in Food Not Bombs. People that still hopped freight cars and stayed in welcome houses. They made it seem easy and preferred the lifestyle to mine, the only time I ever hopped a train was from Richmond to Atlanta and that was just for fun. It is a wild life, very adventurous but not for everyone. They have message boards if you really are interested.

Texas Monthly had an article about 2 years ago on thus same subject. There are people out there who are real hobo's they ride trains around the US.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to survive by sleeping in homeless shelters, and bumming your way from city to city, without any cash? Are there day jobs that a homeless person can get to earn a few dollars? I'm seriously considering this.
frown.gif
I'd appreciate any advice anyone has.

Have you any music talent. Crappy bands are always looking for roadies.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think it is actually quite do-able. Prepare to not have anything of value, and to go without much of what you might think today is a necessity of life.

But between day labor work and homeless shelters I think a guy could survive for quite awhile. Moving from city to city would seem to be a lot more difficult than it was 20 or 30 years ago. I used to hitchhike everywhere; now I'd guess it would be tough to get a ride.

You'll be able to survive. It will be a huge adjustment. And you might surprise yourself.

Or, you'll cross the wrong dude somewhere and end up fucked for life.
(Serious)

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have friends that I could live with, but the point of this is to start with essentially nothing and see how far I get, without taking advantage of friends. I've toyed with the idea of doing this before, but now I'm seriously considering it.
Originally Posted by hossoso
Any specific message boards that are good?
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Have you thought about joining the military? Might not be a bad option.
Out of the question. 1. I'm a pacifist. 2. I wouldn't commit four years of my life to anything.
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I think it is actually quite do-able. Prepare to not have anything of value, and to go without much of what you might think today is a necessity of life. But between day labor work and homeless shelters I think a guy could survive for quite awhile. Moving from city to city would seem to be a lot more difficult than it was 20 or 30 years ago. I used to hitchhike everywhere; now I'd guess it would be tough to get a ride. You'll be able to survive. It will be a huge adjustment. And you might surprise yourself. Or, you'll cross the wrong dude somewhere and end up fucked for life. (Serious)
Well, I obviously wouldn't have any technology. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any practical tips. Such as, how to avoid crossing the wrong dude. Also, how to find day jobs?
Originally Posted by Slopho
Have you any music talent. Crappy bands are always looking for roadies.
Not really. I was in band in high school.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads