• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

chowchow

Reaction score
thank you all!! very informative
i can try to have some review on my mulberry

Mulberry Rocklyn in Tobacco(it is a discontinued model, when they were still made in England)

Pros : beautiful, classic but stylish. I particularly like the shape of it. It is basicallly a messenger bag with double buckle(the buckles are of good quality) and the length&height is just spot on.
I have been complimented a lot (particularly by girls!!). the leather did age very well.
Cons: it is a little bit too heave even if empty. the leather ages too quickly.
also, though i personally dont mind, but the bag itself is unlined

Final verdict: at full retail price 795pounds it was just a ridiculous purchase. however i picked it up when they were on sale for around 500 pounds. still very expensive (objectively) but this bag has some special value to me so, yes, after all it is still my favourite
i am sorry but i dont hv any pics of it at the moment. will post pics later

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
The bag I had ordered was similar to this one (sorry, don't have a larger picture of it):

billykirk_hollander.jpg

The metal that was used on the inside of the bag for the opening was crappy and had rough sharp edges. The stitching for the leather bottom was also all over the place and was coming undone in several places. This was like 1.5 years ago though, so maybe they're better now. Some of the new game and utility bags do look nice though, and I might give the line another shot this fall.

I just got this same Billykirk bag except in tan/waxed cotton.
I agree that the metal frame is rough and sharp but I guess that's what they were going for. It's basically an oldstyle tool bag (see Klein Tool bags). bottom stitching is pretty good on mine.

My beef is that the bottom interior lining on mine has punctures where the 6 bottom feet were attached. I emailed them and they offered to send me a piece of lining material to go into the bottom so I at least wouldn't see the punctures. Nice of them right? Well after a couple of weeks, I emailed them again to see if I'd be getting that piece of material anytime soon. It's been at least a week and no answer. Funny, when I was trying to buy the bag, emails were returned promptly. Whatever. I don't expect an answer anytime soon.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MCM--German brand from the '80s that was iconic for its ghetto fabulous status. Their use of logos makes Louis Vuitton look sedate. They used a textured leather and stamped a Greco-Roman set of logos on there. Dated styling, but quality is not bad. Expensive when it was new, but can be had for quite cheap second-hand. Was revamped but seemingly unsuccessful. The epitome of camp, kitsch and irony. The fellow on the left is doing MCM:
kanye-west-attends.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rach - I'm considering getting this bag for the summer:
jack-spade-linen-tote.jpg
What're your thoughts and can you recommend any alternatives?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
MCM--German brand from the '80s that was iconic for its ghetto fabulous status. Their use of logos makes Louis Vuitton look sedate. They used a textured leather and stamped a Greco-Roman set of logos on there. Dated styling, but quality is not bad. Expensive when it was new, but can be had for quite cheap second-hand. Was revamped but seemingly unsuccessful. The epitome of camp, kitsch and irony.
MCM FTW! Yep, hideous yet campy. I see this stuff at recycle shops in Japan ALL the time. If you ever are looking for anything in particular, let me know and I'll bring you back something. it's all cheap, hideous, yet wonderful (that awful ochre yellow/brown with the black pattern). The re-vamp tried to take the pattern and put Goyard-esque stripes on it. Didn't work!
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Rach - I'm considering getting this bag for the summer: What're your thoughts and can you recommend any alternatives?
Hmmm... I like it; simple, no nonsense. It's Jack Spade, right? For something so simple, maybe you could try J. Crew or one of those, which might be cheaper. Others may chime in, as I've no experience with that. If I were going to recommend something, I'd say get the Valextra canvas/lambskin version of this. BUT, you probably don't need a $1400 canvas bag.
lol8[1].gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Luxe Sportswear: Y-3 ($250-600) PROS: Sometimes Innovative styling, interesting blend of synthetic and natural materials, collections follow seasonal trends while utilizing sportswear basics. Overall, it can sometimes be way out there, but often is very fun. CONS: Expensive, quality is not so good and varies widely by item, hardware and linings can be cheap feeling, leathers are often not full-grain. Some of the items are downright hideous/garish to the point of going, "Huh?" FINAL VERDICT: I actually like Y-3, but because I find it fun, not because I think it's the most superlative bag on the market. I would suggest others do the same. Prada Sport ($400-1500) Pros and Cons same as Prada, but many of the top-tier Prada Sport runway or collection items are lovely. I've had lambskin totes wish washable linings, ballistic nylon duffles with RIR zippers and teflon coatings, etc. It's sporty, it's $$$ as hell, but they are quite durable. Infinitely better than Y-3, though you pay for it. AS WELL, you have to be careful, as some Prada Sport items are cheap, made in China ****. Caveat Emptor. DSquared ($800-1200) PROS: Quality that I've seen is actually pretty good. Nice fabrics/canvasses, good leathers, decent hardware (lampo zippers and Fiocchi snaps). Items generally follow seasonal trends. CONS: Styles go beyond "campy" and become just plain "garish." Expensive for items that you'll never use daily (a $1200 tote that says, "DSquared likes to **** You!" in big letters on the side? ummm... no). Limited range of items offered by season. FINAL VERDICT: Like Y-3, it can be fun for the occasional item and quality isn't bad. I just think it's hard to find an item that isn't so dumb or over-the-top that I rarely spend much time looking at them. Dolce & Gabbana ($800-2500) Basically same Pros and Cons as DSquared, only that DG has larger seasonal collections and sometimes puts out a beautiful bag that isn't too garish. D&G ($500-1500) DG second (diffusion) line. VERDICT: I wouldn't, if I were you. Overpriced, overstyled, poorly constructed. If you see an item you love and think it's worth it, then go for it. BUT, I wouldn't put it on your radar of "go to" brands.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Depends on the particular bag, but mostly, there isn't a whole lot to recommend. What I've seen has ranged from souped-up Adidas nylon crap to leather stuff with cheapish hardware and linings.

Is there a particular bag you were looking at? I'm actually NOT a Y-3 hater (I have tons of the stuff for sportswear, especially the older stuff from 2003/04), but the bags seem to be really overpriced for what you get.

No, none in particular. I saw a tote somewhere that I thought would be nice as a gym bag. I wasn't looking for anything spectacular, just something I could throw around in the locker room

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Piquadro ($200-800) Sort of like an Italian tumi. Pros and cons more or less the same; the biggest Con I see is that the styling is sometimes just as boring and ugly as Tumi. FINAL VERDICT: Yoox often has this stuff on deep discount. Good for luggage especially, but sort of dull for a manbag.

mc25

Reaction score
lol@man bags, unless they are messenger or briefcase.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mc25
lol@man bags, unless they are messenger or briefcase.

Do you really feel an overwhelming need to **** up an informative thread with aperipanism of this kind?

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Then I would just get a decent sportsbag and save the $250 extra dollars just to have the "Y3!" bag. There really won't be THAT much difference between them. Try Puma, Adidas, Fred Perry, and the like. A sportsbag is a sportsbag, especially if you are putting your stinky gym clothes in it. If you want to go super Gym Luxe, some of the Prada Sport duffles (NOT Luna Rossa!) are actually quite nice. Super-strong nylon, riri or lampo hardware/zippers, washable linings, etc.

super Gym Luxe FTW!
inlove.gif

Thanks for the suggestion!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Martin Margiela: $500-$1500 (this is range that I've seen anyway)
Pros: The patterns change from season to season, but the leathers and canvases are usually pretty durable and the treatments good. The flavor is often slightly distressed and wrinkled, but usually are not goth-ninja, more, well dressed hobo. Nearly always made in Italy.
Cons: If you see something you like, it's best to get it - you're unlikely to see it again.
Overall assessment: I've liked most of the bags I've seen, but mileage may vary.

John Varvatos: $250-$1200 (manpurses to duffles)
Pros: The bags made during the first 3 seasons or so were superlative, from the softer, pebble grained leather laptop cases to the raw cut leather mailbags. Then it went south for a few years, and now, you have something in between. You get decent leather (usually pebblegrain, but sometimes in a matte finished leather, but hardly ever the heavy, raw leather anymore), decent hardware, and decent construction. Made in Italy.
Cons: The patterns have become a little boring - it's as though they shelved the best designs and most interesting materials.
Overall assessment: Nice at the sale prices, and if you want something safe, and John Varvatos stores always seem to have reams of stuff, including basics, on sale, come sale time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics