• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What I Learned at Culinary School Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
As for S&P, it's for flavor. You never want to saute anything that has water on the surface. It will stick, and the surface with get all mangled. That's why you salt at the last minute. Alternatively, you can salt well in advance, and then either daub up the moisture or wait for it to evaporate. The later method results in very tasty meat, but it takes a while.

Then why not salt after cooking? So that you can tell what it'll taste like when you're tasting as you cook?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
Then why not salt after cooking? So that you can tell what it'll taste like when you're tasting as you cook?
Like anything else, salt changes flavor when cooked. The right way, or at least the way I learned, was to salt before and after.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Like anything else, salt changes flavor when cooked. The right way, or at least the way I learned, was to salt before and after.

We have been taught to salt a number of things after, but not meat. Properly seasoned in advance, it should be fine after cooking. Adding salt will make it taste salty. At least it does to me.

Keller says the instant you taste salt, you have used to much salt. You want to salt right up to that point, to wake up the flavor of the food.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have never had a problem getting the steak to brown. My problem has been getting the temp correct. I have overcooked and undercooked my steaks. I am getting the hang of it now, and my last steaks were cooked correctly. Though I find this method does work better with thicker steaks.

I tried this method tonight with a steak about 1.75'' thick. No problem at all getting it to brown, but I ended up with much less of a crust than on the egullet link, and it ended up undercooked. Not inedible, just rarer than I'd like. Guess I'll turn the temperature up next time.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Tried again on the chasseur:

p1060145z.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That looks great. I'm not sure whether I prefer the left with thin saucing or the right with more generous. Either way, it must be nice to see that the lessons are really taking.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how strong the sauce is right?

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gave that steak method another go, and got the temperature set perfectly. Before, taking the undercookedness into consideration, it was ok. This time, it was great. Does exactly what it claims. I don't know if I'd call this the "best" method, but it was really tasty and I'll definitely use it again. I also noticed a difference salting the meat 24 hours in advance.

Thanks for the tips! And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Matt, I'm curious... Did you go to cooking school or train in any way? Or did you just go to work in a kitchen? You seem to know some pretty obscure stuff that I haven't seen in cookbooks.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Matt, I'm curious... Did you go to cooking school or train in any way? Or did you just go to work in a kitchen? You seem to know some pretty obscure stuff that I haven't seen in cookbooks.
Just worked in a kitchen. Manton is doing some stuff I have never attempted because I didn't have any real training, and I am quite jealous.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ya, manton's food is looking really fantastic lately. I'm looking at a course for myself later in the year to balance out my nerdy activities. I think it's only 24hrs of instruction though, and not 40 like his. The one i'm looking at probably costs a lot less though, which is good cause i'll be unemployed.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Ya, manton's food is looking really fantastic lately. I'm looking at a course for myself later in the year to balance out my nerdy activities. I think it's only 24hrs of instruction though, and not 40 like his. The one i'm looking at probably costs a lot less though, which is good cause i'll be unemployed.

Ahem, my class is 110 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads