• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-folded Squares: Too gauche for words, or convenient sartorial statement?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow that's terrible.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could see mens wearhouse stocking those. I don't think it's quite as bad as clip-on ties, but it's pretty close. I'd consider them suitable for small children and that's it.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I didn't grow up in a particularly sartorially inclined household and had never even seen a real pocket square when I got my first adult sized suit at age 15-16. With the suit I bought one of those fake pocket squares. I went to put it in my breast pocket one day and found it didn't fit because the breast pocket appeared to be only about 1 inch deep before a row of stitching. So I cut it. The cardboard on the pocket square.

I've come a long way in my understanding of men's clothing.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcus Brody
I didn't grow up in a particularly sartorially inclined household and had never even seen a real pocket square when I got my first adult sized suit at age 15-16. With the suit I bought one of those fake pocket squares. I went to put it in my breast pocket one day and found it didn't fit because the breast pocket appeared to be only about 1 inch deep before a row of stitching. So I cut it. The cardboard on the pocket square.

I've come a long way in my understanding of men's clothing.

Great story and a great sense of humor at your own expense.
worship.gif

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even though I can't seem to get certain folds right, no matter how much I try or want to, it's not that hard to do one of the many others. I mean it literally takes what, 10 seconds for a puff?

Aperipan

Reaction score
windmill and burning bush are nice.
inlove.gif
I doubt anyone here can fold these patterns manually.

satorstyle

Reaction score
Some people don't wear pocket squares enough to justify the expense or just want a easy solution to add a square to the jackets. I see the desire to use them. I wouldn't, but I don't get bent out of shape when I see them in gentleman's pockets.

fdbaker

Reaction score
When I was a kid the dry cleaner used to return suits with one of those cardboard/cotton thingies inserted in the breast pocket. I thought they were pretty neat when I was 15. Now, not so much.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcus Brody
I didn't grow up in a particularly sartorially inclined household and had never even seen a real pocket square when I got my first adult sized suit at age 15-16. With the suit I bought one of those fake pocket squares. I went to put it in my breast pocket one day and found it didn't fit because the breast pocket appeared to be only about 1 inch deep before a row of stitching. So I cut it. The cardboard on the pocket square. I've come a long way in my understanding of men's clothing.
I didnt even realize that the cardboard was a permanent feature! I thought the folds were secured by a small pin or staple. I am speechless. Could the pocket square actually be this much of a mystery? I was at a black tie party and this one guy liked my pocket square fold. He was asked me how I managed it and before I could answer, he reached out and pulled it out of my jacket. Inwardly I was rolling my eyes. He then went on to tell me that he pre-folded all of his and kept them in a drawer, good to go. I asked him if he considered stapling them inside the welt pocket to save even more time.

JordanH.

Reaction score
just bad. in months past, i likened pre-folded pocket squares to clip on ties. they are equally sad in my opinion. it's not hard to find how to fold a pocket square or tie for anyone who cares. too many things can be found on the internet. when people don't even want to do a 13 second google search of how to do something as easy as this, it shows that they really don't care

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped by a premier men's clothing retailer in my area recently (Boyd's) and they sold hand rolled linen pocket squares folded and sewed into a specific shape. A SA offered to teach me how to fold it that way, instead of buying one. Still, there I presume there is a need for something like this if they're selling it.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just you wait... soon they're gonna sell jackets with a fake shirt sewn inside. Just you wait...

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Just you wait... soon they're gonna sell jackets with a fake shirt sewn inside. Just you wait...

They already sell cardigans with a shirt (collar, body and cuffs) sewn to the inside.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads