Pre-folded Squares: Too gauche for words, or convenient sartorial statement?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Chase Hamilton, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

Wow that's terrible.

2. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

I could see mens wearhouse stocking those. I don't think it's quite as bad as clip-on ties, but it's pretty close. I'd consider them suitable for small children and that's it.

3. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Senior member

I didn't grow up in a particularly sartorially inclined household and had never even seen a real pocket square when I got my first adult sized suit at age 15-16. With the suit I bought one of those fake pocket squares. I went to put it in my breast pocket one day and found it didn't fit because the breast pocket appeared to be only about 1 inch deep before a row of stitching. So I cut it. The cardboard on the pocket square.

I've come a long way in my understanding of men's clothing.

4. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

5. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I didn't grow up in a particularly sartorially inclined household and had never even seen a real pocket square when I got my first adult sized suit at age 15-16. With the suit I bought one of those fake pocket squares. I went to put it in my breast pocket one day and found it didn't fit because the breast pocket appeared to be only about 1 inch deep before a row of stitching. So I cut it. The cardboard on the pocket square.

I've come a long way in my understanding of men's clothing.

Great story and a great sense of humor at your own expense. [​IMG]

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Even though I can't seem to get certain folds right, no matter how much I try or want to, it's not that hard to do one of the many others. I mean it literally takes what, 10 seconds for a puff?

7. Aperipan

Aperipan Senior member

windmill and burning bush are nice.[​IMG] I doubt anyone here can fold these patterns manually.

8. satorstyle

satorstyle Senior member

Some people don't wear pocket squares enough to justify the expense or just want a easy solution to add a square to the jackets. I see the desire to use them. I wouldn't, but I don't get bent out of shape when I see them in gentleman's pockets.

9. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

There is a special place in sartorial hell for the inventor...somewhere between Kenneth Cole and Stacy Adams.

10. fdbaker

fdbaker Senior member

When I was a kid the dry cleaner used to return suits with one of those cardboard/cotton thingies inserted in the breast pocket. I thought they were pretty neat when I was 15. Now, not so much.

11. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I didn't grow up in a particularly sartorially inclined household and had never even seen a real pocket square when I got my first adult sized suit at age 15-16. With the suit I bought one of those fake pocket squares. I went to put it in my breast pocket one day and found it didn't fit because the breast pocket appeared to be only about 1 inch deep before a row of stitching. So I cut it. The cardboard on the pocket square. I've come a long way in my understanding of men's clothing.
    I didnt even realize that the cardboard was a permanent feature! I thought the folds were secured by a small pin or staple. I am speechless. Could the pocket square actually be this much of a mystery? I was at a black tie party and this one guy liked my pocket square fold. He was asked me how I managed it and before I could answer, he reached out and pulled it out of my jacket. Inwardly I was rolling my eyes. He then went on to tell me that he pre-folded all of his and kept them in a drawer, good to go. I asked him if he considered stapling them inside the welt pocket to save even more time.

12. JordanH.

JordanH. Senior member

just bad. in months past, i likened pre-folded pocket squares to clip on ties. they are equally sad in my opinion. it's not hard to find how to fold a pocket square or tie for anyone who cares. too many things can be found on the internet. when people don't even want to do a 13 second google search of how to do something as easy as this, it shows that they really don't care

13. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I stopped by a premier men's clothing retailer in my area recently (Boyd's) and they sold hand rolled linen pocket squares folded and sewed into a specific shape. A SA offered to teach me how to fold it that way, instead of buying one. Still, there I presume there is a need for something like this if they're selling it.

14. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Just you wait... soon they're gonna sell jackets with a fake shirt sewn inside. Just you wait...

15. Zenny

Zenny Senior member

Just you wait... soon they're gonna sell jackets with a fake shirt sewn inside. Just you wait...

They already sell cardigans with a shirt (collar, body and cuffs) sewn to the inside.