• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maybach Zeppelin

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
^^^ Does anyone else think Alcantara is way too overused? It looks awful in most applications. I can understand why you'd use it as a seating surface in a performance car, but otherwise it's as ugly as strips of carbon fiber or aluminum that are there simply to imply sportiness.

Anyway, even not considering the Alcantara, that cabin is hideous. It looks like the interior of an executive bus that was outfitted by Brookstone.

The wooden mouse really is the faux-burled cherry on the berry.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Does anyone else think Alcantara is way too overused? It looks awful in most applications. I can understand why you'd use it as a seating surface in a performance car, but otherwise it's as ugly as strips of carbon fiber or aluminum that are there simply to imply sportiness.

Anyway, even not considering the Alcantara, that cabin is hideous. It looks like the interior of an executive bus that was outfitted by Brookstone.

Doesn't fade, doesn't fray, minimizes glare.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
There are rumours circulating that due to poor sales and the deepening global recession, this special version will be the last Maybach before the brand is reconsigned to the history books.

I went new car shopping today - the Maybach dealership that was across from the MB dealership has been converted to a Smart dealership.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking forward to seeing pictures of these "wonderfull" cars wrapped around the trees.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Doesn't fade, doesn't fray, minimizes glare.

Those are very utilitarian qualities for a material to be used in the cabin of a $600,000 luxury car that the owner will probably not even drive himself.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I can't think of a single person who rides in a Maybach. Where are they selling these things, the 3rd World, California, where?

I have seen them parked outside the Waldorf, on occasion. In fact, my first real encounter with a Maybach was walking along Park Avenue and being disoriented because there was this huge car sliding along the road, but its motion was so smooth that I momentarily thought it was still and I was moving backwards. I don't really have any interest in cars, but this was so amazing that I wanted to know what it was and it was a Maybach.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Yes I agree. I have never liked the look or feel of Alcantara.

I also agree with you on this. It has amazed me that so many people think the Maybach's interior is soooooo elegant and tasteful -- your description is really apt.

There is no doubt the Maybach's interior is carefully made with first-class materials etc. but it has a similar [ghastly] ambiance to a lot of those mass-produced motor yachts.

sunseeker-105-yacht-master.jpg

The Rolls-Royce Phantom is equally kitsch in many ways ....but at least it does have an original sense of style.
2l8itjt.jpg

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I have seen them parked outside the Waldorf, on occasion. In fact, my first real encounter with a Maybach was walking along Park Avenue and being disoriented because there was this huge car sliding along the road, but its motion was so smooth that I momentarily thought it was still and I was moving backwards. I don't really have any interest in cars, but this was so amazing that I wanted to know what it was and it was a Maybach.

I believe the person riding inside the car often has a similar disorienting illusion that the car is standing still and the world is revolving around him.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those that don't like the interior, what would you prefer? An cold empty box with a Knoll sofa for a backseat?

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
For those that don't like the interior, what would you prefer? An cold empty box with a Knoll sofa for a backseat?

Considering the Maybach is intended to represent contemporary automotive technology and style at the highest level, its design should reflect the most Ã
00a9.png
lite taste of contemporary culture. Instead, the Maybach is extremely bourgeois in taste.

Take the Bugatti Veyron as a comparison, it has an absolutely magnificent interior -- an exemplar of high design in its time.

2608umr.jpg

2a9qp8l.jpg

zm120n.jpg

18lsok.jpg

2m622p2.jpg

29x86c0.jpg

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
Considering the Maybach is intended to represent contemporary automotive technology and style at the highest level, its design should reflect the most Ã
00a9.png
lite taste of contemporary culture. Instead, the Maybach is extremely bourgeois in taste.

Take the Bugatti Veyron as a comparison, it has an absolutely magnificent interior -- an exemplar of high design in its time.

2608umr.jpg

2a9qp8l.jpg

zm120n.jpg

18lsok.jpg

2m622p2.jpg

29x86c0.jpg

I agree the Bugatti interior pieces are very nice, but according to many SFers even that interior hideous. The RR and Maybach are **** cars, but the Smart and typical BMWs are wonderful according to SF.

When the RR and Maybach are about 50 years old, then suddenly they will become cool on SF.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I agree the Bugatti interior pieces are very nice, but according to many SFers even that interior hideous. The RR and Maybach are **** cars, but the Smart and typical BMWs are wonderful according to SF.

When the RR and Maybach are about 50 years old, then suddenly they will become cool on SF.

I don't think RR and Maybach make bad cars, and I think the Smart ForTwo makes little to no sense for most Americans. I just think the Maybach interior is ugly. The wood trim, although undoubtedly of the best quality, seems randomly and artlessly applied. It looks like someone bought a wood trim kit for his Lebaron from an ad in the back of a car magazine. Sheepskin seat covers and monogrammed floormats would complete the look.

Mercedes interiors were fantastic up through the late 90's. Then they tried to make the S-Class softer, smaller, and more friendly. It was nothing but downhill from there.

Porsche does a nice interior, as does Audi.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads