Maybach Zeppelin

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by hypersonic, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I would rather have a Lexus LS 460L and put the remaining money into something that appreciates.

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

The "Zeppelin"? Hindenburg more like.

And the names... what's next, the "Panzer"? The "V-2"?

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I would rather have a Lexus LS 460L and put the remaining money into something that appreciates.
    Or for an interior and other appointments that are almost as nice, the Lexus 600. It's at least more fuel efficient with quite a bit of pep.

4. SField

SField Senior member

Heard the guy who lives in the penthouse talk about this. He's on the list I suppose.

5. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

The Zeppelin name is used because Maybach was originally owned by the Zeppelin company.

Despite all Daimler's marketing BS about Maybach being Mercedes' 'sister brand', Mercedes-Benz and Maybach were competitors. Dailmer-Benz acquired the Maybach brand in the 1960s.

6. A Y

A Y Senior member

I've never understood the appeal of the revived Maybach. It looks like a mildly blinged out S class. However, it speaks volumes about how far the Mercedes-Benz brand has fallen since they have to go revive an old name to stick on the same car.

--Andre

7. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I kind of like it - a good car to be driven around in. Doesn't attract as much attention as a Phantom, and looks like it's a bit bigger and comfier.

8. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

I can't think of a single person who rides in a Maybach. Where are they selling these things, the 3rd World, California, where?

9. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

I can't think of a single person who rides in a Maybach. Where are they selling these things, the 3rd World, California, where?

The mayor of Moscow rolls in one.

Nothing will ever compete with the Bugatti Type 41 Royale though.

[​IMG]

Ettore planned to build 25, but even royalty weren't buying during the Depression, and only 6 were built and only 3 of those were sold. It was longer, taller, and as heavy as a modern heavy-duty pickup truck. The leftover engines were put, 2 or 4 at a time, to power trains. Bugatti refused to sell one to the King of Albania because of the man's table manners.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2757.html

Ballpark inflation calculators say it was comparably priced to the modern Maybach though.

10. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

^If any car could be described as magnificent, it is that one.

However, I don't think it was just the depression that prevented royalty from buying them. Although it is undeniably stylish and beautiful, it was a bit too showy for the restrained aristocratic tastes of the crowned heads of Europe.

If only they had Russian oligarchs in the 1930s ....Red Square would have been bumper-to-bumper with Royales [​IMG]

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The Goering.

12. SField

SField Senior member

I have no doubt that Mugabe is in line for one.

Other than that, Hedge Fund douches in the UES and a ton of Californian guys in Beverly Hills and what not.

I do see a fair number of Maybach where I live, to the tune of one or two a week.

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Weirdly obsessive about the atomizer...

Jeebus that's a lot of detail to go into for a car air freshener. And from a perfume-conscious persective, there's a lot of unintentional comedy going on here.

Faintly comical that they throw the name Givaudan around - they're not a brand name but a flavor/fragrance conglomerate that composes scents for other firms. For instance: Bounce dryer sheets. Hand soaps. Etc.

Of course, they also compose perfumes for designer brands (J.Lo, Britney, Armani, etc.) but all the houses compete for these anyway so it's nothing much to speak of. And most of the top-drawer talent: works for Lutens, Malle, Chanel, Guerlain, etc. Not Givaudan, IFF, Firmenich, etc.

A clear plexiglas container for what you'd assume to be an expensive air freshener? Why not glass or crystal? And why clear and exposed? In the car? Sure to degrade in no time at all, unless the windows are opaque and you drive (sorry, ARE driven) underground.

And, anyone who's that big into perfume will wear what they want and not want to compete with their car's scent.

A big dose of unintentional humor.

14. iridium7777

iridium7777 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and tops out at 200+

15. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

^^^ Does anyone else think Alcantara is way too overused? It looks awful in most applications. I can understand why you'd use it as a seating surface in a performance car, but otherwise it's as ugly as strips of carbon fiber or aluminum that are there simply to imply sportiness.

Anyway, even not considering the Alcantara, that cabin is hideous. It looks like the interior of an executive bus that was outfitted by Brookstone.