• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Rate These Church's Shoes (any Church's experts?).

sf_esq

Reaction score
Alright Gentlemen,

I recently purchased these very shoes new (including the shoe trees) for approximately $250 and am curious what you think of the quality. Did I get a decent deal? They are Church's Diplomat IV model. They are custom grade and made on the 73 last. I don't own any Church's shoes, but from my research the 73 last is well reputed and these shoes appear to be well made. I'm not sure how old this particular pair is, but they appear to be pre prada due to the fact that it says London, Paris and New York, but not Milan (which is something they apparently added after Prada acquired them). I would appreciate any thoughts. Thank you.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd say you did good.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw those on ebay. You got a good deal. I like the Church Diplomats.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mute
I saw those on ebay. You got a good deal. I like the Church Diplomats.

I figured I'd wait until I purchased them before posting here to avoid competition. They appear to be pre Prada, although I'm not 100% certain. The black leather heel seems to be slightly different from the other models I researched (which had natural leather heels or black rubber heels).

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let us know how they fit. We seem to have similar size feet and it will help me with future reference in sizing. Thanks. Congrats on a nice purchase.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mute
Let us know how they fit. We seem to have similar size feet and it will help me with future reference in sizing. Thanks. Congrats on a nice purchase.

Will do, thank you. Part of the reason I sent for these is that they are an E width and appear to be somewhat narrower. If they don't fit, they will end up on the B&S forum!

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The all rubber heel is unusual, but you did well with these. I have this pair myself and enjoy them quite a bit; much like mine I beleive that yours are pre-Prada though I don't think that it much matters. All of the debate about what Prada did with the brand and pricing structure aside, all that matters is the quality level of this pair in question and the price that you paid.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
The all rubber heel is unusual, but you did well with these. I have this pair myself and enjoy them quite a bit; much like mine I beleive that yours are pre-Prada though I don't think that it much matters. All of the debate about what Prada did with the brand and pricing structure aside, all that matters is the quality level of this pair in question and the price that you paid.

It's not all rubber. It's two pieces, but painted black.

Reaction score
You have a real bargain - the Diplomat is an iconic Church's design from the 1950/60's & the 73 last is one of their most elegant and least likely to date. The black leather heel with rubber quarter tip is unusual - probably means they are one of the earlier models ( some would say therefore made with superior materials). I still wear mine weekly after buying them new in the early 90's.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
It's not all rubber. It's two pieces, but painted black.

I don't know how I missed that.
blush.gif
In that case these are still unusual but I could make 3 or 4 pairs just like them if I had some black paint and 5 minutes in my closet.
lol8[1].gif

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Champagnelifestylenomoney
You have a real bargain - the Diplomat is an iconic Church's design from the 1950/60's & the 73 last is one of their most elegant and least likely to date. The black leather heel with rubber quarter tip is unusual - probably means they are one of the earlier models ( some would say therefore made with superior materials). I still wear mine weekly after buying them new in the early 90's.

Thank you. I'm pleased to know this. I thought the black painted heel with the rubber quarter tip looked unusual, and they appear to be an older model. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and look forward to receiving them. Cheers.

hollanda

Reaction score
I'm not sure about your pair, but I want to warn people about the Grafton 2's. I bought a pair of Grafton 2's last year and eventually ended up speaking to physiotherapists about foot problems entirely attributable to the shoes. When my physiotherapist saw the shoes he called over a colleague so that they could marvel at how bad they were. He says they are absolutely the opposite of everything that is now known about healthy footware. They hark back to an era of false theories about "support" and "strength". I went back to the shoe shop several time with complaints, including asking them to take the shoes back after only a few wears, but they were having none of it. Interestingly the sales people all insisted that I had bought the shoes in the correct shape and size. Despite this I was getting through boxes of blister plasters, and not just in the usual places - I was getting blisters on top of my foot from bumpy joins in the leather. All this for £400. In addition, the way the rubber soles are moulded creates a sort of a suction spot between sole of foot and sole of shoe. Because the leather is so ridiculously thick your feet will soon get warm and sweaty. Once that happens they actually start to make a squelshing sounds with each step. They are categorically the worst shoes I have ever bought, and the sting is made much worse by the fact that they were so expensive. When I was trying them on I asked if I could walk around a small plaza in front of the shop and was told I could not - I really should have known at that point that something was wrong. This is a rip-off, an over-priced, bulky, scam brand that deserves to go out of business as far as I am concerned. Since having this experience I have met several people who have had similar experiences but none has bothered to write it up so I am now doing so. The people who swear by these shoes all seem to have bought in them in 1970-something. Perhaps they were still a good brand back then. There might be other shoes in that shop right now that pass muster, but I'm certainly not going to be taking the risk when I can buy healthy, comfortable, modern shoes for a quarter of the price. Also, note that you won't be able to get your shoes polished by anyone because you have to use "special creams". All this so that the shoe will last a good long time... but still not as long as 4 pairs of more comfortable shoes at half the price.

well-kept

Reaction score
^ My only question... why did (or why do) you keep on wearing something which causes you pain?

observer

Reaction score
I have a pair in tan, bought in 2005 I think. It is a comfortable well made shoe. The heel seems to painted over, and I do not understand that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads