• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hows this suit fit? Job intervews.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness
Yeah, both the pants and jacket are too big. Just go to a cheap place that has suits and pick up one that fits for now. You don't need to spend a ton of money on it. You can buy a better one once the money starts flowing in with your new job.

Also, you should have no problem finding some cheap dress shoes that will get you through your interviews as well.

+1 Go to a thrift store and pick up a suit and shoes for under $30.

AB01

Reaction score
Like everyone else said before, it looks too big on you. Also, the shoes are very bulky and may be dirty.
I suggest a new suit. Doesn't have to be expensive. Even H&M might have something. But it must fit. Go to a tailor first and get measurements since H&M doesn't have staff that know about suits.

jsqfunk

Reaction score
you said "they dont have anything smaller at the center" - so you got the suit for free from a job center?

dropbeats

Reaction score
I guess Ill see what they have at salvation army. I get $250 real soon for finishing the GED program and I was just going to save that up though. So the pants are to long and the suit is to big?

dropbeats

Reaction score
Yeah they have buisness clothes that people gave away and I can borrow it. I dont know if salvation army will have anythign better since thats stuff that people throw away but I guess I can look

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dropbeats
I guess Ill see what they have at salvation army. I get $250 real soon for finishing the GED program and I was just going to save that up though. So the pants are to long and the suit is to big?
The pants are too long and baggy and the jacket (not suit, the pants and jacket make up a suit) is too big/long everywhere. What is the size on the label? If it's something like a 42 you would need a 38 or 36 or so. When you go, just try on different suits/sizes until you find something that is not baggy on you. A suit should fit decently slim (or really slim depending on your taste), and definitely not baggy.

jsqfunk

Reaction score
dropbeats... you are interviewing for your first job? from a styleforum.net point of view your suit is not so hot, but don't worry about it. Worry about showing up at the interview with some idea about what the company is doing, and what the job is.

If you go with the suit you have, get your Mom or girlfriend to hem the pants with safety pins, if you want to blow your $250 check, think about something like this

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.as...r=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=14&CmCatId=53006|53012|53047

Don't by anything online, you want to be able to try stuff on
Don't buy a black suit

Happydayz

Reaction score
The suit is going to be fine. You have to consider your audience here. SF is filled with people who treat clothes and fashion as a hobby. It's quite common to see people dropping $1,000+ on a pair of shoes or talk about their new suit made specifically for them.

So within the context of Styleforum is the suit too big? Yes. However, will the average person on the street notice this or even care? Almost certainly not.

The suit will work great for you and definitely help you make a solid impression with your future employer. The time you'll spend searching through thrift stores to spend money on a different is much better spent doing background research on each and every company that you are interviewing for.

jcriswel

Reaction score
dropbeats,

There's something inherently wrong with this entire picture! I don't think you have done your due diligence on StyleForum. The suit, shirt, shoes, tie, haircut are all wrong. You should start over from the beginning. Please do not take what you have into an interview. It will not work!

I don't even know where to start to advise you. Perhaps I would suggest Alan Flusser, "Dressing the Man." Second, and this probably should be first, your clothes must fit. Go to a competent tailor who can alter your clothes to fit your body. At present, you are a walking disaster. Please get some competent tailoring help.

The most important thing I'm leaving to last. Get rid of those shoes! Don't even keep them. Throw them in the trash!

Next, go out and buy some good Allen-Edmonds or if you can pull it off, buy some Crockett and Jones. It all starts with the shoes.

jcriswel

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^

Um. I don't think he is in the position to pick up AE's or CJ's.

Dropbeats: the center that is assisting you with the suits, they don't have someone who can guide you with sizing or anything like that? Surely there is something there that is smaller? If not, I would suggest thrifting a suit (once you learn your size) to make sure you get the proper size.

Do not spend a big piece of that 250 on clothing. I gather it can go to better use, and I say that with all respect.

Go to a local dept. store and have someone fit you, just be up front that you aren't buying. They should be more than happy to help, they aren't busy this time of year anyhow.

mdesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsqfunk
...If you go with the suit you have, get your Mom or girlfriend to hem the pants with safety pins...

Also, in a pinch, you can tape the hems under.

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
What size is that suit?

-and-

What type of job are you interviewing for?

I'm sure that we could donate some dusty garments from cold storage that'll fit better that what you have now.

Ol' Uncle Santo mysteriously checked out, and I received all his old suits. They are 42-43 longs, they might be too big for you though. What's the size of the suit you're wearing?

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm suggesting target. The cuts are good for $175. Judging by your size in the pictures, id say get the smallest size they have. probably a 38r or 38s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads