• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hows this suit fit? Job intervews.

penguin vic

Reaction score
I think he gets $1200 when he graduates. Not a $1200 clothing allowance. It would seem daft for him to blow it all on clothing ... and he should be applying for jobs before he graduates not after (which I think is what he's doing).

GoAussieGo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dropbeats
Ok guess what. I didnt even know this until I talked to my cordinator today but since Im doing both the GED and the pharmacy tech I get a $1200 allowance when I graduate and not $250! So the job Im hoping to get is at Walgreens. Its mostly stocking shelfs and working the register so I dont need anything to nice. I cant really borrow clothes from anybody. My friends that arent in jail are in the center like me or just started working lmao

So thanks for the advise on the clothes I get it they suck. I erased that pic.

Dropbeats - go to a place that can measure your size properly, post it here and perhaps someone can donate you something decent., or at the very least do you a good deal.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if this was real life and one of you jackasses had told this guy to go by Flusser and listed those expensive items, I'd have been happy to slap the stupid right out of you.

Take 75-100 and spend it on the suit and shoes you need at a thrift store. Spend another 25-40 for alterations and you're good to go. You are trying to get a job and can get better stuff when you have more money in your pockets.

Good luck.

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
Hey find out your measurement. I could possibly donate you my dark gray H&M 36r suit. I just gotta find it..

http://www.suitupp.com/pages/suit_sizing

+1 - take your measurements (chest and shoulder are key) and post them here. I'd be willing to help you out (if I have the proper sizing) as well.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Honestly, if this was real life and one of you jackasses had told this guy to go by Flusser and listed those expensive items, I'd have been happy to slap the stupid right out of you.

Take 75-100 and spend it on the suit and shoes you need at a thrift store. Spend another 25-40 for alterations and you're good to go. You are trying to get a job and can get better stuff when you have more money in your pockets.

Good luck.

+1. Either some aren't reading the thread or just assume the clothing is that important. 1200 to this man can be spent or saved in far better ways than clothing.

Also, dropbeats, put your neck out there and apply for everything under the sun. A job at Walgreens is a dime a dozen. Who cares of where you have come from or what have you. Trust yourself.

And as has been said. Good luck.

dropbeats

Reaction score
Well thanks for your advise everyone. Yeah I get $1200 but thats a one time allowance to transition so I wont worry about the clothes oh well. I wish I was good with cars because some of my friends did the mechanic training and are going to make a lot of money after their apprentiship. Right now the only job I can get is pharmacy tech.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
dropbeats,

I don't even know where to start to advise you. Perhaps I would suggest Alan Flusser, "Dressing the Man." Second, and this probably should be first, your clothes must fit. Go to a competent tailor who can alter your clothes to fit your body. At present, you are a walking disaster. Please get some competent tailoring help.

The most important thing I'm leaving to last. Get rid of those shoes! Don't even keep them. Throw them in the trash!

Next, go out and buy some good Allen-Edmonds or if you can pull it off, buy some Crockett and Jones. It all starts with the shoes.

jcriswel

It is comments like this to a guy that sounds like he is takiung initiative and getting things on track that perpetutate stereotypes of men on clothing message boards. Add this as one more comment that this makes you sound like an elitist jerk.

Originally Posted by freefinancialadvice
What size is that suit?

-and-

I'm sure that we could donate some dusty garments from cold storage that'll fit better that what you have now.
?

Now, this is contrasted nicely with the above comment, and kudos to the rest of you guys offering to help out in what sounds to be a bit of a tough situation that dropbeats is trying to make better.

Originally Posted by Picasso
What this man needs is advice for what he can do within his budget, not criticised for not wearing a pair of bespoke shoes. That is terribly elitist and not becoming of a gentleman

He is making an effort to look good and should be applauded for that. With a bit more experience, he will learn what fits him better.

Agree. It sounds like you are not on here, dropbeats, because you have a hobby that happens to be clothes, but for some good, prudent advice.

I will echo the comments that I am sure everything looked okay for real word standards and wish you the best of luck.

You guys that jumped all over him should do a little reflecting, as I think, did this forum a disservice amongst examples of great spirit and generosity (like the charity drive that just passed).

dropbeats

Reaction score
Man I think ******** up big time. Somebody told me to apply for this sales job at Macys in the jewelry department so I did and they want me to come in on Monday. The pants were all wrinkly so I tried ironing it and now theres a big mark on the thigh! Can you get this out somehow?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dropbeats, go to a store and have them measure you like someone suggested earlier. Post those measurements on this thread. If someone asks for your mailing address, give it to them. I am guessing that you will be hooked up with some decent clothes in less than 2 weeks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads