• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pilot Watches in a Formal Workplace

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I've seen folks, including partners in big law firms, in bespoke shoes, bespoke suits, and huge digital Casio G-shocks or other such watches. Seriously, I think a lot of folks stres over how they will be perceived unnecessarily.

+1 i'm pretty surprised at how worried alot of the members are about wearing things like pilot watches, or say....pocket sqaures to an interview.

If you have any personality at all, i think 99% of the things you wear will be overlooked as long as you bring something to the table.

I feel like after you interview for a beginner position it doesnt matter much anymore, you can show up in a glen plaid double breasted wearing a contrast collar and a pilot watch, but if you bring something real, something serious to the table, you're not going to be overlooked.

* bolded for those that missed it.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
It's fine. Some of the most senior people wear Ironman watches these days - I doubt anyone would take issue with a nice pilot watch

I've noticed that nobody really cares...unless they are a watch geek like me.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Agree. As I pointed above as well, it's been the trend with top level management for a couple years now. I think it's meant to say "I'm a down to earth guy" or something

Don't we spend half our time on this forum lamenting the passing of proper menswear (hats, ties, etc.), yet here we are saying "yes, wear your Casio to client meetings?" Christ, next it will be Mickey Mouse watches. And we know where that takes us.

East Oakland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
+1 i'm pretty surprised at how worried alot of the members are about wearing things like pilot watches, or say....pocket sqaures to an interview.

If you have any personality at all, i think 99% of the things you wear will be overlooked as long as you bring something to the table.

I feel like after you interview for a beginner position it doesnt matter much anymore, you can show up in a glen plaid double breasted wearing a contrast collar and a pilot watch, but if you bring something real, something serious to the table, you're not going to be overlooked.

Obviously it depends on where you are interviewing, but as a junior partner in a large law firm who sometimes has to interview 10 or 12 candidates in a day, I have to disagree.

The last thing that you want when the interviewers are regrouping at the end of the day to discuss the candidates is to be remembered as "the guy with glen plaid double breasted", "the guy with the monk strap shoes", "the woman in the teal pant suit" or whatever it is. People will actually end up referring to you this way in a hiring meeting, and it's not the way you want to be remembered. Anything that distracts the interview from your qualifications and what you said in the interview is bad. It also suggests you are unwilling to play by the rules of the game. That's why you put on your blue or grey suit, your white shirt and your wingtips for an interview--you'll never have to wonder if your attire had something to do with your not getting hired.

That said, unless you are wearing something truly massive on your wrist, like something bigger than a full-size Paneri, or something like a bright red G-Shock, I don't think a watch really rises to this level, particularly given how mainstream big watches are these days.

And once you have the job you can do whatever you want--no one will care what watch you are wearing unless is has Mickey Mouse on its face. At my firm the classic black Casio calculator watch is very popular among associates as a sort of anti-Rolex.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Completely disagree. Since you are doing image consulting (according to your previous posts), what kind of image are you projecting?

A junior guy in position other than front office sales should not be peacocking for panache and wealth.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
again.....hiring for What?

for a junior position? anyone not wearing a black suit and square toes is going to stand out.

Hiring for an executive position, anyone not wearing something extremely nice is going to stand out in a bad way. This is something where the monk straps, glen plaids, constrast collars, ect work......and walking in a black suit and square toes people will think.....WTF was he thinking.

Was witness to a close relatives workplace, they were interviewing for a CEO position. The current ceo had quit to move onto another venture, the person under them was qualified for the job.....but didnt look the part (typically square toes and cheap suits), looks presentable, but not "CEO" presentable. The guy who gets the job, well he looks the part, as well as talks the part.

So all in all, i think its VERY specific to the who, what, when, where and how of the situation, the dynamics are much more important then the standards on this board.

I'll even go out on a limb here and say that if you are interviewing for a junior or other low level position, and you show up in standard interview attire.....lets say a charcoal suit, strap watch, subtle pattern burgundy tie, and black cap toes. If those items are of extremely high quality, like a Polo or better suit, aldens, and for conversation lets say a JLC 18k watch, I'd venture to think that you wouldnt get the job, simply because you will cause the interviewer to be jealous.

So i'll say for a junior position i feel you're better off in a cheap black suit and KC captoes, and for a high end position you're much better off looking like Gekko, then the latter.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Completely disagree. Since you are doing image consulting (according to your previous posts), what kind of image are you projecting?

A junior guy in position other than front office sales should not be peacocking for panache and wealth.

Didnt you notice the part where i said 'After interviewing for a beginner position'.....or is reading and comprehension one of your weak points.

Since when have been image consulting? i looked into it, tested the idea, didnt like the response i got and decided to work for a friend...and i was wearing bright yellow socks to the interview.....just kidding.

You really like to beat up on me about testing out new ideas and attempting a solo venture, WTF is your problem with that. Are you just an angry person?

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didnt you notice the part where i said 'After interviewing for a beginner position'.....or is reading and comprehension one of your weak points.

Instead it is your writing skill that needs improvement. After interviewing for a beginner position meaning? A junior guy accepted into a firm after interviewing? Or interviewing for anything other than a junior position?

Again, junior guys, excluding front office sales, should not be peacocking.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since when have been image consulting? i looked into it, tested the idea, didnt like the response i got and decided to work for a friend...and i was wearing bright yellow socks to the interview.....just kidding.

You really like to beat up on me about testing out new ideas and attempting a solo venture, WTF is your problem with that. Are you just an angry person?

I still remember your harry potter style picture.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thats your opinion as an angry old ****.

Hows my english mother ******?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Don't we spend half our time on this forum lamenting the passing of proper menswear (hats, ties, etc.), yet here we are saying "yes, wear your Casio to client meetings?" Christ, next it will be Mickey Mouse watches. And we know where that takes us.

That's not what we're saying - we're addressing a specific question asked by the OP and are offering context as to what acceptable may mean and who would judge that acceptable or not. In many professions, wearing a fedora to a client meeting would be less acceptable than wearing a Casio watch.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand what the big deal is. People wear diving watches with their business suits all the time. A simple pilot watch on a leather strap is far more understated in comparison. Really, most people these days have no idea what a 'dress' watch is to begin with.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats your opinion as an angry old ****.

Hows my english mother ******?

consuming too much penis could impair your cognitive capabilities

Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't understand what the big deal is. People wear diving watches with their business suits all the time. A simple pilot watch on a leather strap is far more understated in comparison. Really, most people these days have no idea what a 'dress' watch is to begin with.

imo, skinny wrist with a big fat watch will catch people's attention, making it a very good "conversation starter"

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
imo, skinny wrist with a big fat watch will catch people's attention, making it a very good "conversation starter"

Most pilot watches are not particularly large. The most iconic, the Mark 11, was only 36mm.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not all pilot watches are big or fat. The Stowa Airman referenced in the OP is barely 40mm wide and 8mm thick. The iconic Mark XV is 38mm wide.

Edit: damn you foofoo !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads