• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
huh? somets are very low rise

Believe me, I'm not the low low rise kind of guy but the 003s I got aren't bad at all. I have a pair of PBJ 005BKs and they seem way more low rise than the Somets.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They have a very clean, dressy, high quality vibe that would work well with more formal clothing. And high rise jeans don't look good on anyone IMO. Unless you are doing a vintage workwear thing and I can't see many here pulling that off.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
How low?
This low: http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28

Note: waist size is larger than tagged due to the low rise.

Based on a 32, I would assume that a 10-10.5" rise would be idea for MC'ers since it's low enough to look "styled" but high enough to allow a tuck. My torso simply looks too long when I tuck in shirts into 9.5" rises and below.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Based on a 32, I would assume that a 10-10.5" rise would be idea for MC'ers since it's low enough to look "styled" but high enough to allow a tuck. My torso simply looks too long when I tuck in shirts into 9.5" rises and below.
This is helpful. I didn't realize it, but I suppose it should be obvious that too low a rise will look unnatural with a tucked shirt. The rise on the "low-rise" pair I posted a few pages back is about 10.5" and I have a 31" (30" tagged) waist. The Somet 003's rise is over an inch shorter (which would be audition-for-the-Met tight), and I can see how that'd create the effect you describe.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The rise does seem to drop precipitously in the smaller sizes. 10.75" for a 36 isn't bad at all. 11-11.5" is perfect for me in a size 38-40.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
This is helpful. I didn't realize it, but I suppose it should be obvious that too low a rise will look unnatural with a tucked shirt. The rise on the "low-rise" pair I posted a few pages back is about 10.5" and I have a 31" (30" tagged) waist. The Somet 003's rise is over an inch shorter (which would be audition-for-the-Met tight), and I can see how that'd create the effect you describe.
10.5" isn't "low" in by book based on a 30 tagged; if anything, that's medium/med-high. At 10.5" you're close to competing with the rise of a regular pair of trousers.
Originally Posted by A Harris
The rise does seem to drop precipitously in the smaller sizes. 10.75" for a 36 isn't bad at all. 11-11.5" is perfect for me in a size 38-40.
Well, I think you have to put proportions in check. At 6' with a 32" waist, I'm a relatively skinny guy. A 9.25" rise with a shirt tucked in will look pretty low for me. If I were 6' with a 36" waist then a 10.75" rise would look fine but if I were 6'6" with a 36" waist then it would go back to looking really low.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris

Keep in mind that no one should go true to size for Somets; the usual yardstick is to size down 2. Some (like Eason) even do 3, but 2 is probably safer.

Yeah, the rise is pretty low.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
disagree- waist size isn't everything.

If that was directed to me, I have to say I'd usually agree with you; lower rise jeans should have waistband measured .5-2" larger than tagged to account for wider hips (where the waistband would sit at). However, Somet stretches a bunch, and that's why people size down on them.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was; overly laconic, sorry. IIRC, over in the somet thread they are saying that Somet's don't stretch much. I don't have personal experience.

On the other hand, size 33 Somet 003 straights have measurements very similar to size 33 RRL slim cuts and if I sized down on those it would look silly. (No disrespect to Eason- but he's in his 20's and I'm not).

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on most jeans 8" leg opening is tapered. what is your waist size?

Sorry for not clarifying; I wear a 30-31 in dress pants, and the jeans are also tagged as 30. The straight-legged ones are the NF "slim guy," and the leg opening is maybe a hair above 8" which seems consistent with the knee opening. The others have a 7.5" opening and an approximate 8" and change knee, also tagged a 30.

Icarium

Reaction score
I agree whith whodini in that jeans that are low rise (sub 9.5" or so) look really stupid with a shirt tucked in. You don't want to go too high though, cause that looks weird also.

One question for you guys on thigh measurements. If you measure jean thighs at the crotch seam the way Context does it and then compare to my actual thigh measurement at the crotch, how much extra material do you need for a slim but not skin-tight fit? I was thinking 1.0" or so?

For example, Context measures 10" for the thigh on the Nudie Average Joe in my waist size (sizing down one), and my thigh measures 20" in circumference at the crotch. Sounds skin tight to me... or would that stretch out? I heard thighs don't stretch much.

Thanks for the help.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
10.5" isn't "low" in by book based on a 30 tagged; if anything, that's medium/med-high. At 10.5" you're close to competing with the rise of a regular pair of trousers.

If I'm supposed to size down two, then we're talking a rise of 8.5-8.75" (do you size down from your actual waist or your usual tagged size?), which would be audition-for-the-chipmunks tight.

I have a couple of pairs of Incotex with a rise of ~9.5" and it is probably too low. (I recognize that this isn't a perfect comparison, but I do wear my chinos at the hips, same as my jeans, so it should provide some useful information.)

I need to check these measurements--they're all from memory and may well be wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads