• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
You gonna wear those things with a DB suit???

With pride
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
What color cordovan did you buy first?

What colors are you contemplating to add?

May I suggest you try getting one additional color...first....and then by the time you have waited for the 2nd shoes delivery...perhaps you can better decide if this is the route you opt to take

If you have other shoes to rotate, instead of wearing the same shoe design over and over again...perhaps you will appreciate the 1 or 2 pairs of Alden longwings more than if you wore them often

Hmm, some of you guys seem to be under the impression that I don't have much shoe experience. At the moment, I have 8-10 pairs, 5 of which I regularly wear. So, I have a decent idea of what I like and don't like.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
With pride
smile.gif

Manton might have to revoke your iGent card.

EDIT: PS - You're what? 26? You don't have much experience with anything. For the record.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I did not read all the posts here. The danger of this is your taste will change and or you will discover another shoe you like as much or even better to take the place of your harem of longwings. This is good for the B&S forum.

When I worked in NY a guy ordered 25 blue suits, all from the same cloth.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I did not read all the posts here. The danger of this is your taste will change or you will discover another shoe you like as much or even better to take the place of your harem of longwings. This is good for the B&S forum.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade

EDIT: PS - You're what? 26? You don't have much experience with anything. For the record.

Twenty-seven, thank you very much. I didn't say I had a lot of shoe experience, just a decent amount.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Hmm, some of you guys seem to be under the impression that I don't have much shoe experience. At the moment, I have 8-10 pairs, 5 of which I regularly wear. So, I have a decent idea of what I like and don't like.

In the SF context, this is almost charming. Ten pairs!

What five don't you wear?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20+ responders, 140 posts and no-one else caught this little gem:
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm already happy wearing the same shirt and same pants everyday. I warn you not to underestimate my capacity for monotony. Hmm. I question the stylistic significance of variety. A lot of style icons seem to have their own way of doing things -- over and over again.
Easy there, Caligula. Don't go deifying yourself just yet. Anyway, you're talking to us all wrong. It's the wrong tone. Don't worry about what a bunch of strangers on the internet think. What would Anna say to you when she's done pinching your shirt collar?

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
In the SF context, this is almost charming. Ten pairs!

What five don't you wear?

If he goes through with this, it will be his current 8-10 pairs he is not wearing. Monoshoe does not play well with others.

HKTenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Although I would never do it, I always found it interesting to wear the same thing everyday! To have a closet full of the same suit, shirt, tie, and shoe. My friend wears all black everyday but in different ways. It has become his trademark and people love it! I am not sure wearing the same shoe is enough to make it intriguing though.

There are times I have wished I could do the same, and not think about what to wear in the morning. The problem is that I like too many different things, and my tastes have definitely changed over time.

I have a colleague who is like yours known for wearing all black every day, and it has defintely become a trademark. On his birthday every year, we get the whole firm to wear all black in his honor.

Mafoo - if you let me know the appropriate day, I shall don blue short and longwings to salute you from afar...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I did not read all the posts here. The danger of this is your taste will change and or you will discover another shoe you like as much or even better to take the place of your harem of longwings. This is good for the B&S forum.

Originally Posted by Despos
I did not read all the posts here. The danger of this is your taste will change or you will discover another shoe you like as much or even better to take the place of your harem of longwings. This is good for the B&S forum.

The fact that you did not read all the posts is no excuse for posting the same message twice, nor is it an excuse for me to quote both messages.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade

This would be a good point except that, oh, five minutes is more than enough experience with a lot of things...maybe most things.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
20+ responders, 140 posts and no-one else caught this little gem:

Easy there, Caligula. Don't go deifying yourself just yet.

Anyway, you're talking to us all wrong. It's the wrong tone. Don't worry about what a bunch of strangers on the internet think. What would Anna say to you when she's done pinching your shirt collar?

Oh, we caught it. As for Caligula, I would say that iammatt is more Caligula. Foo might be, say, the noble Incitatus.

Foof is an icon. He's definitely an Internet forum icon. One can even call him a style icon because his aesthetic is so polarizing among the virtual brethren. It's a status that he has achieved through grit, determination, and a kind of stubborn individuality.

What incites people is that his posts seem often to invite comment or even advice, but he will normally be unconvinced by those comments and advice. People do not like their opinion to be devalued by lack of ready agreement. They confuse Maf's lack of assent, however, as a reaction rather than an underlying imperturbability.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads