• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obama tux: notch lapels, two buttons, flap pockets, single vent, white bow tie

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
alright...just peeped some pictures online........ white tie with no white tie....BAD notch lapel.....BAD single vent....BAD plenty of break.....BAD Not being this guy....AWESOME
2322127821_7bb9403099.jpg
President Obama gets a 10/10 from me
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's too bad. I know Obama can't wear pocket squares or interesting ties with his plain suits because he needs to appear as a "man of the people" (can't be seen with one of them there fancy pocket hankeys), but the Tux could have been his one opportunity to do it all right because "a man of the people" wouldn't know the difference between any of these things.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
It's too bad. I know Obama can't wear pocket squares or interesting ties with his plain suits because he needs to appear as a "man of the people" (can't be seen with one of them there fancy pocket hankeys), but the Tux could have been his one opportunity to do it all right because "a man of the people" wouldn't know the difference between any of these things.
Yes, a missed opportunity, imo. It's not that he looks bad, it's just that he could look so much better.

Cordovan

Reaction score
The trousers also appeared to be cut poorly. I don't think he was wearing either a waistcoat or a cumberbund. Considering that, the choice of bow bothered me.

On the whole - his outfit did not bother me as much as I thought it would considering his general taste for clothing.

Cordovan

Moss

Reaction score
He asked Chief Justice John Roberts what to wear for a formal ball in DC. Somehow, in the exchange regarding individual items of dress, things got a bit jumbled between them. White tie, black tie, lounge suit...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
She needs somebody to teach her how to dress appropriately. We are now going on three, maybe four, first ladies who look like they learned to dress from the assistant store manager from the local Dress Barn outlet.

tlmusic

Reaction score
I am extremely disappointed by Barack Obama's choice of clothing at the Inaugural Ball.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
She needs somebody to teach her how to dress appropriately. We are now going on three, maybe four, first ladies who look like they learned to dress from the assistant store manager from the local Dress Barn outlet.

I miss Ron and Nancy.
frown.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1_62_320dress.jpg

Sigh.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am a conservative and I am against most of what he is for. That said, I really want to like this guy. I want him to succeed because I want the country to succeed. I hope he does well. I really want to like him and if he does well I will consider voting for him next time around.

All that said, he's making this more difficult for me than he needs to with these pictures.

Did he fire the White House protocol officer? Who is responsible for letting them dress this way?

At some point, he will look at these pictures much the same way I look at my prom pictures from 1978. My excuse is that I was 17 and didn't have the resources of the US government at my fingertips. What is his?

tlmusic

Reaction score
just in from Yahoo news...

" Hit: First Fashion

No, not Barack. We're talking about the Obama women: First lady Michelle Obama wowed the crowds in a sparkly yellow-gold sheath dress with a matching coat by Isabel Toledo. Always the practical shopper, she topped her outfit with olive-green gloves from J.Crew and green shoes. First daughters Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, strutted their fashion feet in colorful pink and blue coats, also from J. Crew.

Stylists like red-carpet and editorial stylist Mary Alice Stephenson swooned as well. From AP:

"What's so powerful about Michelle Obama is we all see ourselves in her. She's a modern woman who is fashionable and even flamboyant in her style and she is still taken seriously," she said. "The dress is elegant, appropriate and has the individual style stamp of Michelle Obama and is timely for a woman in her 40s "” and she wears embellishment during the day. Hallelujah!"

Ruben Toledo, husband of designer Isabel, revealed to Women's Wear Daily that they didn't even know that Mrs. Obama had picked one of her outfits:

"We're levitating - we really are," Ruben Toledo said minutes after watching Michelle Obama on CNN in an ensemble by his wife Isabel. 'We had no idea. We hoped she would wear something because she has bought Isabel's clothes before. We never know what's going to happen," he said. "'It's just another shock, but a great shock.'" "

JeffC

Reaction score
What did Biden wear? The one shot I saw of him made it looked like it was a pre-tied black bow.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffC
What did Biden wear? The one shot I saw of him made it looked like it was a pre-tied black bow.
One must be practical in times like these, or so they say.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads