• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Shirts as Sportswear?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone that gets custom shirts ever get them to just use as sportswear and not for suits?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Does anyone that gets custom shirts ever get them to just use as sportswear and not for suits?

I weat my OCBDs with suits, but I wear them casually as well.

PolePosition

Reaction score
I've wondered this as well... and what exactly would change a shirt from a dress shirt to a sports shirt? Length? Pattern? Fabric?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Absolutely. A range of plaids, checks, wool-blends, etc.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I make sport shirts for customers.
we use non dress shirt fabrics. soften up the linings. use more relaxed collar shapes. etc.
or take a dress shirt fabric and add details that do not work on a dress shirt.
pleated/flap pockets, again softer linings, non dress shirt buttons

also fit can be altered as well.

Carl

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
- I do as I can never find shirts that fit me how I like them to
- Jantzen is a good option as they are well priced

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Absolutely. A range of plaids, checks, wool-blends, etc.

I assume that they would be less expensive than a typical / comparable shirt for business as there is less working to the shirt? Or, is it basically the same thing.

Also, typical sportswear isn't quite as fitted as a sized shirt and usually comes in S, M, L, XL. How does that work with custom shirts?

I'm thinking, to start, I'll get a couple sportshirts and a couple of dress shirts.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to order a Jantzen/other MTM shirt company shirt that resembled BoO? I'll only wear a shirt untucked if it hits right below or on the belt. Any longer and I look and feel ridiculous. Obviously affordable shirts like this are very hard to find, but would ordering a Jantzen in a short length work for this?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- I do as I can never find shirts that fit me how I like them to
- Jantzen is a good option as they are well priced

I'm afraid to try Jantzen because this is the first time I'll be getting custom shirts. I'm thinking I might try somewhere else first to have an idea and then maybe check out jantzen.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have ordered custom shirts to be worn exclusively as sport shirts, including a couple of linens. Also ordered one or two a while back to be worn untucked on purpose - without long tails and squared off at the bottom. As shirtmaven indicated, I've taken a few liberties as well - the one that comes to mind is contrast stitching for buttonholes.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my custom shirts for both dress and casual. One should always have comfortable clothes in any situation. I too am a fan of the Jantzen price and the quality, so now almost all my shirts are from them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads