• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just got hit in the face with a sledge hammer

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^haha. your god is dead

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Quick question - the ad you responded to - what was the position and how were the requirements described?

This was the ad:

International Law Firm with multiple positions available for Senior Associates with minimum 5 years of experience, Mid-Level Associates with minimum 3 years experience, and Junior Associate Attorneys with minimum 0-1 year experience in our New York Offices.

We are looking for individuals that are admitted to the New York State Bar with a JD/LLB/LLM...

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
don;t feel bad.. every time i answer and ad for a gang bang, it's all dudes at the hotel.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel

Not sure why they bothered with setting up a phone interview, unless they found their candidate after setting up your interview.

This is possible, but I think unlikely. They called me on last Wednesday, so that left Friday and Monday to interview their candidate and make him an offer. Since nobody worked on Friday, and it seems a little fast to offer a position to someone interviewed yesterday, I don't think there was another candidate. Even if they did have one, why wouldn't they just interview me too. What's the loss?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They definitely could have found a good candidate and extended an offer between Dec 24 and today. not to mention that the fact that they called you on Dec 24 does not mean that they didn't call other candidates before that and that these guys were not further up in the HR queue.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
HR people are mostly marsupials. hope that clears things up.

+1

HR Is the lowest rung on the corporate evolutionary scale.

At least in the US, their entire purpose consists of documenting activities / policies sufficiently to prevent lawsuits, and to enforce governance that they themselves do not understand. 9 times out of 10, they don't understand the positions they're hiring for or what makes one qualified. Instead they can do little better than keyword matching and filtering , so that the hiring manager only has to interview a handful of people.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
They definitely could have found a good candidate and extended an offer between Dec 24 and today. not to mention that the fact that they called you on Dec 24 does not mean that they didn't call other candidates before that and that these guys were not further up in the HR queue.

This might be true. It just bugs me that they called me on the 31st for an interview and now gave me a completely different reason to eliminate my candidacy.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
This might be true. It just bugs me that they called me on the 31st for an interview and now gave me a completely different reason to eliminate my candidacy.

Interviewing is like dating, sometimes you think things are going well and then one morning you wake up to a Dear John letter on the dresser. Market is tough but keep at it, you'll get something.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But if they filled the position, why not just say, "We filled the position"?

Anyway, good luck with your search, DNW.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Interviewing is like dating, sometimes you think things are going well and then one morning you wake up to a Dear John letter on the dresser. Market is tough but keep at it, you'll get something.
Originally Posted by grimslade
But if they filled the position, why not just say, "We filled the position"? Anyway, good luck with your search, DNW.
Thanks. I'm a little discouraged, but nothing that I can't handle. I don't waste time dwelling on things that I have no control over.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Big +1. Big disappointment, honestly. Kept waiting for the twist at the end where the assailant walked into the room while he was on the phone and--wham!

Because that is the thing about sledge hammer attacks, you never know when they are going to happen.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Because that is the thing about sledge hammer attacks, you never know when they are going to happen.

Or when you're expecting something nice, and BAM!, right in the face.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
HR people are mostly marsupials. hope that clears things up.

+1

Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
anyone else think this thread would be about getting hit in the face with a sledgehammer?

+1

Big firms crack me up. They're always looking to poach the juniors with experience from other firms, never willing to take someone from zero.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads