I just got hit in the face with a sledge hammer

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jan 6, 2009.

1. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^haha. your god is dead

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

Quick question - the ad you responded to - what was the position and how were the requirements described?

This was the ad:

3. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

This was the ad:

Hmm, sounds like a cattle call.

Not sure why they bothered with setting up a phone interview, unless they found their candidate after setting up your interview.

4. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

don;t feel bad.. every time i answer and ad for a gang bang, it's all dudes at the hotel.

5. edmorel

don;t feel bad.. every time i answer and ad for a gang bang, it's all dudes at the hotel.

I'm sure you get the job everytime!

6. DNW

DNW Senior member

Not sure why they bothered with setting up a phone interview, unless they found their candidate after setting up your interview.

This is possible, but I think unlikely. They called me on last Wednesday, so that left Friday and Monday to interview their candidate and make him an offer. Since nobody worked on Friday, and it seems a little fast to offer a position to someone interviewed yesterday, I don't think there was another candidate. Even if they did have one, why wouldn't they just interview me too. What's the loss?

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

They definitely could have found a good candidate and extended an offer between Dec 24 and today. not to mention that the fact that they called you on Dec 24 does not mean that they didn't call other candidates before that and that these guys were not further up in the HR queue.

8. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

HR people are mostly retards. hope that clears things up.

+1

HR Is the lowest rung on the corporate evolutionary scale.

At least in the US, their entire purpose consists of documenting activities / policies sufficiently to prevent lawsuits, and to enforce governance that they themselves do not understand. 9 times out of 10, they don't understand the positions they're hiring for or what makes one qualified. Instead they can do little better than keyword matching and filtering , so that the hiring manager only has to interview a handful of people.

9. DNW

DNW Senior member

They definitely could have found a good candidate and extended an offer between Dec 24 and today. not to mention that the fact that they called you on Dec 24 does not mean that they didn't call other candidates before that and that these guys were not further up in the HR queue.

This might be true. It just bugs me that they called me on the 31st for an interview and now gave me a completely different reason to eliminate my candidacy.

10. edmorel

This might be true. It just bugs me that they called me on the 31st for an interview and now gave me a completely different reason to eliminate my candidacy.

Interviewing is like dating, sometimes you think things are going well and then one morning you wake up to a Dear John letter on the dresser. Market is tough but keep at it, you'll get something.

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

But if they filled the position, why not just say, "We filled the position"?

Anyway, good luck with your search, DNW.

12. DNW

DNW Senior member

Interviewing is like dating, sometimes you think things are going well and then one morning you wake up to a Dear John letter on the dresser. Market is tough but keep at it, you'll get something.
    But if they filled the position, why not just say, "We filled the position"? Anyway, good luck with your search, DNW.
    Thanks. I'm a little discouraged, but nothing that I can't handle. I don't waste time dwelling on things that I have no control over.

13. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

Big +1. Big disappointment, honestly. Kept waiting for the twist at the end where the assailant walked into the room while he was on the phone and--wham!

Because that is the thing about sledge hammer attacks, you never know when they are going to happen.

14. DNW

DNW Senior member

Because that is the thing about sledge hammer attacks, you never know when they are going to happen.

Or when you're expecting something nice, and BAM!, right in the face.

15. unjung

unjung Senior member

HR people are mostly retards. hope that clears things up.

+1

anyone else think this thread would be about getting hit in the face with a sledgehammer?

+1

Big firms crack me up. They're always looking to poach the juniors with experience from other firms, never willing to take someone from zero.