• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Macallan 18 at Costco $80 [Kirkland branded]

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's always been there cause I've never paid attention but a couple weeks ago I saw Piobaire had a picture with it and I asked him about it.

Afterward, I did a search and turned up some discussion on it on various forums but they were all from last year and it seemed like it wasn't an on ongoing thing as many people were quite excited about it and others were listing limited numbers at their stores. There was also quite a lot of discussion as to whether it was the real 18 y.o. Macallan, a blend using it or an off-batch that Macallan was selling off. There was no final consensus but the majority seemed to think it was the real deal especially given the fact that it is branded as The Macallan on the bottle and not just Kirkland.

Just got back from Costco (Willowbrook, NJ) and there are maybe 40-50 bottles on the shelf for $80 if anyone is interested. If it's always been there, well, nothing lost by posting this. Price was also apparently $70 last year from what I gather so it's gone up.

As an aside for the vodka drinkers, when I was looking up the info on the whisky many people also stated that the Kirkland vodka is really just rebottled Grey Goose. The price is $30 for 1.75L as opposed to $35 for 0.75L (or maybe it was 1L).

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried it to confirm whether it's authentic Macallan 18?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
Have you tried it to confirm whether it's authentic Macallan 18?
As I said, I couldn't turn up anything conclusive other than some discussion on various forums e.g. this one on Fatwallet. There was a lot of back and forth but the majority seemed to think it's the same. IIRC someone even contacted The Macallan but I can't remember if they gave a definitive answer (although they didn't say no). Pio has a bottle so maybe he can confirm. Edit: Looks like it may not be the same after all. Found this post on FW in a new thread updating people that it's available at Costco again:
This deal looks hot, and I'm going to go pick some up soon! But I wanted to make sure everyone is aware that this is distinctively different than an official "The Macallan" 18yr Scotch. The Macallan 18 year is normally aged entirely in Sherry casks. However, this Kirkland Macallan is Aged in Oak Bourbon Casks for 17.5 years and aged in Sherry for the remaining 6 months. Click on the "Scotch" link on the Kirkland Signature Wine Connection for more info http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/ks_wine/

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I may have to give this one a whirl, despite the faux/pretense nature of it all.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No Macallan (or any scotch for that matter) is aged for its entirety in oak bourbon barrels. It wouldn't be scotch if that were true.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
No Macallan (or any scotch for that matter) is aged for its entirety in oak bourbon barrels. It wouldn't be scotch if that were true.

Decidedly not true, my friend. You're gonna tell me this isn't real Scotch?

DSC00832.jpg

Trust me, that's real Scotch. Plus, your definition means that the existence of Scotch had to post-date the existence of Bourbon, for there to be oak Bourbon barrels to age Scotch in. I think we know which came first
smile.gif

To the Big Mac, it's not a fine oak bottling. It's okay, it's worth the $80 if you like Mac, but I'd rather spend less on a bottle of Cragganmore Distillery Edition.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Decidedly not true, my friend. You're gonna tell me this isn't real Scotch?

DSC00832.jpg

Trust me, that's real Scotch. Plus, your definition means that the existence of Scotch had to post-date the existence of Bourbon, for there to be oak Bourbon barrels to age Scotch in. I think we know which came first
smile.gif

To the Big Mac, it's not a fine oak bottling. It's okay, it's worth the $80 if you like Mac, but I'd rather spend less on a bottle of Cragganmore Distillery Edition.

Oops. I meant all scotch has to be aged for some time in oak bourbon barrels. I was going to write 'no scotch is aged for its entirety in sherry barrels' and edited wrong.

Bohdathone

Reaction score
In order to be classified as Scotch whisky the spirit has to, among other criteria, have been aged in Scotland for a minimum of 3 years in an oak barrel. Whether the cask previously held bourbon or sherry (or anything else) has no bearing on it being Scotch or not, although it of course has a huge effect on the taste and colour.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bohdathone
In order to be classified as Scotch whisky the spirit has to, among other criteria, have been aged in Scotland for a minimum of 3 years in an oak barrel. Whether the cask previously held bourbon or sherry (or anything else) has no bearing on it being Scotch or not, although it of course has a huge effect on the taste and colour.

Really? Damn. No wonder I prefer just to drink the stuff.
smile.gif

style from the heartland

Reaction score
Weighing in late and haven't tried it, but, other than the last several moths in the Sherry cask, the method should be otherwise the same.

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2008/12/1...y-cask-finish/

The reviewer however notes significant tasting differences between regular Mac 18. But its an option for those like me that would need to be celebrating a first born child to surrender $140 for 3/4 liter of scotch.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was excited until I realized that Costco doesn't sell liquor in TX, at least according to my recollections.
frown.gif

SykoFreak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I was excited until I realized that Costco doesn't sell liquor in TX, at least according to my recollections.
frown.gif

The Costco in Austin has an adjoining Costco liquor store. It's separate because the liquor store has to close on Sundays, among other laws.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TJ's used to have a blended whiskey that was ~$10 for a liter. That was some good ****, but they've run out and, for now, cannot get more.

They now have an 11 yr old for ~$30 that's not bad, but nothing to write home about.

TJ's also carries a some very well priced vodka, rum, and gin (and port... and some other stuff), all of which are more than halfway decent. These are not branded under their name.

In short, a good liquor section for those on a budget.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads