• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thoughts on RL boot

Jas0n

Reaction score
Having lusted after a pair of EG Shannon for some time, and with seemingly myriad threads on dress boots lately, what are you thoughts on this Ralph Lauren offering, currently on sale: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...r=Shopping+Bag.

I was thinking of picking up a pair in brown. They will be my first dress boot, but are they appropriate for wear with a suit? I find it quite hard to tell from the limited photos on their site.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I would not wear those with a suit, unless it were a tweed suit or somesuch.

The "RL" on the heel is offputting. And the lack of speed lacers is going to make putting them on a chore.

Just seen them in the store,definitely "no go" with a suit.Who are these made by?
They do have some suede boots made by EG for $440,I'd go with those.

Jas0n

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback gentleman. At $349.99, I thought they were a steal, but I suppose I will hold off for a bit until I find the perfect pair. Between these and the BF paddock boots currently on sale though, I'm getting anxious for that perfect pair.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you lust after the EG Shannon, then save up and get the EG Shannon.

Don't go for the cheap alternative, because it will not satisfy you. And afterward you will still want the EG Shannon, and have therefore wasted money on a not-quite-perfect substitute.

Rule #4: Don't settle for the imitation.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
If you lust after the EG Shannon, then save up and get the EG Shannon.

Don't go for the cheap alternative, because it will not satisfy you. And afterward you will still want the EG Shannon, and have therefore wasted money on a not-quite-perfect substitute.

Rule #4: Don't settle for the imitation.

I couldn't agree more. I've seen the RL boot, and it's no substitute for the EG Shannon. I'd hold out until the EG Shannon is feasible.

MustangQB11

Reaction score
If you were to go for the non-EG boots, call an RL store, where the boots are only $220ish, if I'm not mistaken.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads