• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurant Recommendations

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
Now that I think about it, Cleveland has some pretty great culinary offerings as well. Lola, of Chef Michael Symon fame, will not lead you astray at all. Just fantastic.

I make it to Cleveland every few months, so I try to maintain a short list of restaurants to check out. Flying Fig is next in queue, I believe. Any other recommendations? I hear good things about Light Bistro.

I used to hate to really despise that city, but, since dating my current girlfriend who is originally from the mistake by the lake, I've grown to appreciate it much more. It has a lot to offer, the only problem being that it feels so god damned fractured. There are plenty of really cool neighborhoods, each with interesting shops and restaurants, but they're spread apart by considerable distance. It's very much the kind of city that it's necessary to own a car in due to a 20+ minute to commute to everything. I try to be more of a walking, biking, public transportation mindset.

If Coventry, Little Italy, Ohio City, and Tremont were all side by side, I don't think I'd mind living in Cleveland. My day-to-day would probably consist of chocolate malts at Tommy's, $2 spinach bread at Presti's (a total steal), cannolis at Corbo's, a fair priced dinner at Lolita, and a few pints at Great Lakes.

EDIT: I neglected to mention cocktails at Velvet Tango Room. Oh man, VTR.

Little italy in Cleveland is pretty massively overrated. A lot of Presti's baked goods are subpar. The lines are out of this world. They can have 20 people on staff and still take forever. Corbo's pepperoni bread is great, but most of their baked goods are quite subpar. For food, Valerio's, Gusto's and Il Bacio are good (as is Michaelangelo). The rest of it is garbage and could be found in any second rate suburb in Scottsdale AZ.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Little italy in Cleveland is pretty massively overrated. A lot of Presti's baked goods are subpar. The lines are out of this world. They can have 20 people on staff and still take forever. Corbo's pepperoni bread is great, but most of their baked goods are quite subpar. For food, Valerio's, Gusto's and Il Bacio are good (as is Michaelangelo). The rest of it is garbage and could be found in any second rate suburb in Scottsdale AZ.
Dude... check out Baricelli Inn in Cleveland's Little Italy. They have their own affinage and present the most wonderful cheeses many of which have been aged on site. The service there is also top notch. Although it is not a traditional Italian restaurant, it is technically in that neighborhood.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Dude... check out Baricelli Inn in Cleveland's Little Italy. They have their own affinage and present the most wonderful cheeses many of which have been aged on site. The service there is also top notch. Although it is not a traditional Italian restaurant, it is technically in that neighborhood.

I always thought it was also a hotel. I ate there once. I think it was osso bucco, and I liked it. Ironically, the best italian restaurants aren't really technically in little italy (which is now basically 2 blocks of Mayfield). Il Bacio, Michaelangelo's and Baricelli Inn are more Murray Hill, and people don't even consider them little italy. That little corner has some great food, probably some of the best available in that city aside from Tremont and other parts of the west side.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Baricelli does have a B&B of sorts... I don't think it's a very large hotel, but I believe you can stay overnight. It's a pretty big mansion.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're ever in the city, feel free to get a hold of me and I can show you around if you'd like. That offer is extended to most everyone interested. Most everyone except Huntsman, he's left to suffer the mean streets of Cow Town on his own.
And what did I ever do to deserve, that, hmmm?
Now that I think about it, Cleveland has some pretty great culinary offerings as well. Lola, of Chef Michael Symon fame, will not lead you astray at all. Just fantastic. I make it to Cleveland every few months, so I try to maintain a short list of restaurants to check out. Flying Fig is next in queue, I believe. Any other recommendations? I hear good things about Light Bistro. I used to hate to really despise that city, but, since dating my current girlfriend who is originally from the mistake by the lake, I've grown to appreciate it much more. It has a lot to offer, the only problem being that it feels so god damned fractured. There are plenty of really cool neighborhoods, each with interesting shops and restaurants, but they're spread apart by considerable distance. It's very much the kind of city that it's necessary to own a car in due to a 20+ minute to commute to everything. I try to be more of a walking, biking, public transportation mindset. If Coventry, Little Italy, Ohio City, and Tremont were all side by side, I don't think I'd mind living in Cleveland. My day-to-day would probably consist of chocolate malts at Tommy's, $2 spinach bread at Presti's (a total steal), cannolis at Corbo's, a fair priced dinner at Lolita, and a few pints at Great Lakes. EDIT: I neglected to mention cocktails at Velvet Tango Room. Oh man, VTR.
.. ~ H

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
And what did I ever do to deserve, that, hmmm?

I jest, I jest.
smile.gif

princemarko

Reaction score
Tampa, Florida:

1. 717 South
2. Redwoods(St. Petersburg)
3. Capital Grille
4. Beachcomber(Clearwater Beach)
5. Bern's Steakhouse

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by princemarko
Tampa, Florida: 1. 717 South 2. Redwoods(St. Petersburg) 3. Capital Grille 4. Beachcomber(Clearwater Beach) 5. Bern's Steakhouse
Bern's should be #1! (although I have not tried 717) And Charey's is better than Cap Grille. Mis En Place????

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Recently I've enjoyed The Mermaid Inn (NYC) and Stokes (Monterey).

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
moderately priced brazilian food:

casa on bedford and commerce

really good brazilian food

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
moderately priced brazilian food:

casa on bedford and commerce

really good brazilian food

Second that. I love their seafood curry-type stew, forgot how it's called

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Second that. I love their seafood curry-type stew, forgot how it's called

the one that comes out in a clay pot?

we had that and the shrimp in the orange yucca puree....

both were really damn good

princemarko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Bern's should be #1! (although I have not tried 717)

And Charey's is better than Cap Grille.

Mis En Place????

Go to 717 in s. Tampa. Across from the old Whisky Park.

Great food, great atmosphere, nice looking women and not over the top prices.

Bern's is good, but over-priced. For a steakhouse, Innisbrook has a great restaurant, Packard's. Blows Bern's away.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
the one that comes out in a clay pot?
yes - it's a great winter dish

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads