Restaurant Recommendations

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by drizzt3117, Nov 15, 2004.

1. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

Not too familiar with Boston, but in Cambridge I have something to say about Asmara, the Ethiopian restaurant. Service was not very good, they screwed up our reservation and didn't give us so much as a freebie for it. Food was good, but next time I want Ethiopian I'll probably be going to Addis Red Sea instead.

2. kenosis

kenosis Active Member

La Pineta in Alameda, CA

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Going to Five Points tonight.

Any good?

lefty

P.S. do not recommend. Tasted all of my companion's entrees - risotto, pasta, scallops - and all were wanting. Terrible presentation on the plate. Potato truffle oil pizza was okay.

4. quevola

quevola Senior member

Where can I get good paella in the Los Angeles/Orange County area?

5. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

Anyone got good picks for Boston Restaurant week on Saturday (dinner)?

6. Fat-Elvis

Fat-Elvis Senior member

If you're ever in the Chicago area, or more specifically Oak Park and you're in the mood for Mexican, check out The New Rebozo. Best goddamn mexican food I've ever had, and everyone my family takes there says the exact same thing.

7. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

I have finally found really good Chinese food in Chicago. Naperville's Tang Dynasty. As good as what I've had in China.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I have finally found really good Chinese food in Chicago. Naperville's Tang Dynasty. As good as what I've had in China.

damn, I am missing chinese food, but I'm not going out to Naperville

9. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

damn, I am missing chinese food, but I'm not going out to Naperville
    And that's a perfectly defensible position. But if business does take you out there, take a trip down 59 and visit Tang Dynasty. We had to leave for an event, and it was a real shame as we weren't able to do justice to the food in the time we had. The leftovers will be great, but served fresh was really incredible. The owner and her husband are both from Shanghai (she's from Shanghai and the husband from nearby) and the chef is from sichuan. The hot & sour was good, but the other dishes were sublime. Perfect texture. And I learned about a new website www.c-r-n.com which ranks the top chinese restaurants. If Tang is any indication, I'm interested in the rest of the list.

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

And that's a perfectly defensible position. But if business does take you out there, take a trip down 59 and visit Tang Dynasty.

We had to leave for an event, and it was a real shame as we weren't able to do justice to the food in the time we had. The leftovers will be great, but served fresh was really incredible.

The owner and her husband are both from Shanghai (she's from Shanghai and the husband from nearby) and the chef is from sichuan. The hot & sour was good, but the other dishes were sublime. Perfect texture.

And I learned about a new website www.c-r-n.com which ranks the top chinese restaurants. If Tang is any indication, I'm interested in the rest of the list.

cool, thanks - we actually go pretty far west to eat at katy's dumplings, maybe we'll make it out to Tang. chinese is the one thing that we miss in chicago.

11. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

And that's a perfectly defensible position. But if business does take you out there, take a trip down 59 and visit Tang Dynasty. We had to leave for an event, and it was a real shame as we weren't able to do justice to the food in the time we had. The leftovers will be great, but served fresh was really incredible. The owner and her husband are both from Shanghai (she's from Shanghai and the husband from nearby) and the chef is from sichuan. The hot & sour was good, but the other dishes were sublime. Perfect texture. And I learned about a new website www.c-r-n.com which ranks the top chinese restaurants. If Tang is any indication, I'm interested in the rest of the list.
    Can you please post their list for Chicago in English for us round-eyes ?

12. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

What's the best bar to turn 21 in in Boston? I want something on the divey side but not really willing to go all the way to southie.

13. JLWhittington

JLWhittington New Member

One London spot not mentioned here is Le Gavroche on Upper Brook Street, one of the best French restaurants in the world! Reputed to be Lady Diana's favorite.

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Two places in Indy for casual lunch.
    1) Mudbugs Cajun Cafe. Very simple menu, not a lot of offerings. But I had their dirty rice and shrimp po boy, Lish had the Jambalaya and corn fritters. It was all really, really good. I hear they also do traditional style crawfish boils on Sundays, or Saturdays, or some weekend day. It's up in Carmel, at the corner of Rangeline and Main. Go there. Spend $20 and have a great lunch.
    2) Shapiro's Deli. They have two locations, downtown and Carmel. The one in Carmel is the one I went to, and it is great. The one in Carmel is on Rangline, between Main and Clay Terrace. It was fantastic. I had the baked tongue sandwich and Lish had the corned beef sandwich. Big sandwiches, the taste was superb, and the service was nice. We got ours to go. A bit on the expensive side, about $10/sandwich (although they have cheaper sandwiches too), but well worth it. They also have a ton of dessert/bakery offerings.

Both places have websites, if you're interested.

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

2) Shapiro's Deli. They have two locations, downtown and Carmel. The one in Carmel is the one I went to, and it is great. The one in Carmel is on Rangline, between Main and Clay Terrace. It was fantastic. I had the baked tongue sandwich and Lish had the corned beef sandwich. Big sandwiches, the taste was superb, and the service was nice. We got ours to go. A bit on the expensive side, about $10/sandwich (although they have cheaper sandwiches too), but well worth it. They also have a ton of dessert/bakery offerings.

Both places have websites, if you're interested.

Shapiro's has been around Indy for many decades, and it's great. I eat at both locations and almost always get corned beef on rye with swiss and mustard. If I'm really hungry I also have mac&cheese, their's is delicious. My meal there is not complete until I have their poppyseed cake. I love that place, though they're not cheap [​IMG].