• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DirecTV? Yea or Nay?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am moving to an area where I am not excited about the local cable service. Does anyone have experience with DirecTV that they can share?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
In terms of quality of service, we've been quite happy with DirecTV compared to cable (we've had DTV for something like 7-8 years now). It seems much more reliable than our old cable service was, and on the very few occasion when there has been some sort of signal disruption they've been able to fix it remotely/electronically in a matter of minutes (although getting through to someone on the customer service line can sometimes take a while) rather than saying "there seems to be a problem with the cable, we'll get a crew out there next Thursday".
We also use their digital DVR service, which seems to work well. Particularly convenient is the ability to use their website to select shows to record even when you're not at home (this may now be common with cable/TiVO systems as well, I don't really know).

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
We've had DirecTV for about 10 years now and are mostly pleased.
I'd say 3 or 4 times a year it rains hard enough to lose the signal for a few minutes but that's fairly rare.

Probably the best thing about DTV is that they're not Comcast.

Mr T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Probably the best thing about DTV is that they're not Comcast.

They are also not Time Warner which is why I have used DTV for several years. No complaints. I hope to never deal with a cable service again.

DMcG

Reaction score
I switched from comcast cable to DirecTV a few months ago and am happy I did. I really did it for the NFL Sunday Ticket but have been very happy in general. The one area it is lagging behind is On Demand but I like it in every other way. I prefer the hardware to comcast's especially the HD DVR.

Originally Posted by lawyerdad
We also use their digital DVR service, which seems to work well. Particularly convenient is the ability to use their website to select shows to record even when you're not at home (this may now be common with cable/TiVO systems as well, I don't really know).

I love this feature. In general the DirecTv website crushes the comcast website in terms of what you can do.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is Internet. DSL blow!!!11! (Really, that much). I had DTV with the Verizon DSL package. The problem is that our row house has really old telephone wiring. The best we ever got was 400kbps. It's a rental, so to hell with paying to rewire the house... even with perfect wiring the best you'll see is 2mbps, if that.

Other than that, DTV is fine for TV; but I care about the internet more. I can get almost all cable channels on the net for free, live and streaming. Including the NFL Sunday Ticket.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have had DTV for a number of years in Mass. and Fla. and overall pretty satisfied. One thing I'd suggest is finding a recommended local installer / dealer and working with them rather than the clowns that DTV will send out if you just order direct. It may cost more (or maybe not) but worth it to have the wiring done the way you want it. This also applies particularly if there any issues with signal reception, a good DTV guy will be able to find the one spot to get the signal where the clowns will give up immediately & you are back to square one.

One thing I don't like about DTV is the relative lack of foreign language programming compared to Dish, but that is just me.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am forced into DTV and wish I could get cable. I hear AT&T U-verse is the absolute BOMB.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish we could get FIOS in DC. Comcast sucks and DSL is worse.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to have DTV for about 3 years but then I realized I was paying for hardly any channels. The quality of service was fine but ever since they switched from Tivo to their crappy in-house DVR, it went downhill. The DVR never worked properly. It was slow and recordings would jump, skip or just stop halfway through.

Now I use netflix instead and have never looked back.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I used to have DTV for about 3 years but then I realized I was paying for hardly any channels. The quality of service was fine but ever since they switched from Tivo to their crappy in-house DVR, it went downhill. The DVR never worked properly. It was slow and recordings would jump, skip or just stop halfway through. Now I use netflix instead and have never looked back.
Allegedly they are back with Tivo pretty soon

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads