• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon folks - whats a a good regular bottle?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To clarify: What's good, mid-priced bourbon you like to keep at home and enjoy on a regular basis?

I fell in love with Woodford, and although I guess I can just stick to that, especially since I can always find it under $30, I wonder if there is anything else as good or better in the $25-40 range.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of the great things about bourbon are the options under $30 or $35. That's basically 90%+. Try that with whisky.

We've got a few long bourbon threads that will probably answer the question, or at least give you more ideas for future bottles.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
One of the great things about bourbon are the options under $30 or $35. That's basically 90%+. Try that with whisky.

We've got a few long bourbon threads that will probably answer the question, or at least give you more ideas for future bottles.

Good advice. I will suggest Elmer T. Lee as usual but I also suggest that you talk a bit with the people at your liquor store. I am lucky enough that there is a great small liquor store in downtown knoxville where the guys that work there are very personable and always pointing me in the direction of something nice.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering about Bulleit or Buffalo Trace, but seems like woodford is considered better by a lot of folks?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a couple megaliquor stores with huge selection, but staff is meh. Probably 40++ kinds of bourbon?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try another forum about bourbon you will find more info there. prices vary in the us state to state so that should be considered as well.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Makers Mark, Knob Creek, etc. are all solid. I have Woodford at home right now.

You could also try Bookers. It's more expensive but it will go faaar longer if you normally drink bourbon on the rocks, due to its strength.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, Bulleit

There are many. Just go to a bar and try a few over the next couple weeks, and eventually you'll find one you like the best.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eagle Rare 10-year-old single-barrel bourbon for under $27.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Makers Mark, Knob Creek, etc. are all solid. I have Woodford at home right now.

You could also try Bookers. It's more expensive but it will go faaar longer if you normally drink bourbon on the rocks, due to its strength.

Neat with a splash of water.

Ice just ruins it for me...

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Buffalo Trace will not lead you astray and it can be found for around $20ish. I'm a recent convert myself, love it.

I keep a good stock of Bourbon. Right now I have Basil Hayden's, Buffalo Trace, Maker's Mark, and Woodford Reserve. Booker's and Bulleit are next on my grocery list.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
Eagle Rare 10-year-old single-barrel bourbon for under $27.
I second this recommendation. A liquor store near me used to have it for $19.99 a bottle. Needless to say I went through numerous bottles at that price. Unfortunately, they don't have it in stock anymore. I tried Buffalo trace and didn't particularly like it. It wasn't bad but I didn't enjoy it as much as Woodford Reserve or Bulleit. Evan Williams Single Barrel is quite good. I recently bought a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 proof and found that to be a great bottle for the price as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads