• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon folks - whats a a good regular bottle?

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you have the urge to go wild with the dollars, buy some Old Fitzgerald 86 or some Very Old Barton 86. I started on Kentucky Tavern in college 40 yrs. ago and settled on it. They went to only 80 proof and I left them for the other two. Generally with Fitzgerald. Evan Williams is also pretty smooth for the price. The general standards for years and years were either for 86 or 100 proof. The ones less than 86 are trying to sell based solely on price. Both of these have enough taste and body to make great Manhattans or Old Fashions.

Quite a few friends regularly drink Old Taylor, Makers Mark, and Wild Turkey. They just don't have the taste I like.
Sure Woodford Reserve is good. Just twice as much. I like it, just not twice as much. Bullet is much like Woodford.
Search around a bit and find one of the "regular" priced ones that you like if you want to drink bourbon regularly. I think you will find that the real bourbon drinkers can certainly tell the difference between different ones, but have developed a taste for their regular brand. Spend less, drink more, no worries.

I can't find much difference between cheap vodka and expensive vodka. The really cheap bourbons are really harsh to drink, even if you do put Coke with it (I don't do that).

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
Yes, the ones you mention as well as Pappy Van Winkle 15, 20, and 23-year-old; and the Antique Collection from Buffalo Trace. Each fall, the distillery issues a limited release of five special whiskies: Eagle Rare 17-year-old single-barrel bourbon, William Larue Weller 11-year-old wheated bourbon (125.3 proof), Sazerac 18-year-old rye, Thomas H. Handy Sazerac rye (just over six years old and bottled this year at 127.5 proof), and George T. Stagg 15-year-old bourbon (very complex and woody, bottled this year at a killer 141.8 proof). And while you should be able to find all five for around $65 a bottle, it's their scarcity more than the initial selling price that causes me to mention them. Three excellent cask-strength bourbons that you can't find for eleven months out of the year. Also, I've seen past expressions of these bottles go for $100 and more on eBay. Also there's Noah's Mill 15-year-old, which is hard to find although it sells for only $45-50. I've never sampled this one but supposedly their whiskey source is the same as that of the now almost impossible to find Black Maple Hill offerings. If we direct our gaze upward from there, we can discuss bottlings such as Willett Family Reserve 23 and 25-year-old and Parker's Heritage Collection 27-year-old, all of which fetch prices of $200 or more. The latter was recently voted 2008 American Whiskey of the Year by Malt Advocate. And that is not even getting into truly rare bourbons such as James E. Pepper, from the 1950's. Those hunters who have been fortunate enough to uncover a bottle or receive a sample from a friend have spoken highly of it. Though I can't say whether the actual drinking experience justifies searching it out -- unless you're a collector (which I'm not). The PHC 27-year-old:
d98d4dc0cad5cdefa5ea8d0dc28b25f36g.jpg

Thanks, KF -- this is an excellent post. My bourbon collection is rather modest, and I definitely appreciate some info at this level. And as you mention, those prices are really outstanding if the whiskies live up to the nuance one would expect for their age. Sazerac 18 has been on my list for a while, as A.H. Hirsch Reserve, and now I will do some research on these and add one or two more. What's your favorite of these (short, perhaps, of the $200 Parker, unless that really is it)? ~ H

DeCaloFashion1

Reaction score
As far as readily accessible and mid-priced bourbons go I am a big fan of Basil Haydens 80 proof.

Being from New York the selection of bourbons at bars and liquor stores that don't specialize in high-end spirits can be very limited. If I can find it I also love the Old Charter 8 Year Old.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
Eagle Rare 10-year-old single-barrel bourbon for under $27.
+1. Was a Maker's guy for years. Moved to Woodford, but have been shifting to the Eagle Rare over the last year. Good, regular sipping whiskey.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by life_interrupts
+1. Was a Maker's guy for years. Moved to Woodford, but have been shifting to the Eagle Rare over the last year. Good, regular sipping whiskey.

can you compare and contrast it to woodford?

Chicago Guy

Reaction score
....I'll add Jim Beam as another one. A very good, inexpensive Bourbon.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
...I gave a friend a bottle of Blanton's for helping us move, and it was well-enjoyed by all parties. We tried Buffalo Trace not long afterwards and it was not quite Banton's, but for the price it was a great value. Eagle Rare likewise is high on my list.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To make it more interesting here are the bourbons in the relative price range ($25-35) that should be available to me locally. What looks and rates good?

Ridgemont Reserve 1792 Small Batch 8 Year Old Bourbon
Evan Williams Single Barrel Bourbon
Bulleit Frontier Whiskey Bourbon
Kentucky Vintage Bourbon
Buffalo Trace Single Cask Bottling Bourbon
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year Old Bourbon 107 Proof
Eagle Rare Sams 10 Year Old Bourbon
Wathens Single Barrel Bourbon
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year Old Bourbon 90 Proof
Rowans Creek Bourbon 100.1 proof
Sam Houston Bourbon
Michter's #1 US Bourbon
Four Roses Bourbon, Single Barrel
Woodford

(not including the usual suspects)

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
To make it more interesting here are the bourbons in the relative price range ($25-35) that should be available to me locally. What looks and rates good?

Ridgemont Reserve 1792 Small Batch 8 Year Old Bourbon
Evan Williams Single Barrel Bourbon
Bulleit Frontier Whiskey Bourbon
Kentucky Vintage Bourbon
Buffalo Trace Single Cask Bottling Bourbon
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year Old Bourbon 107 Proof
Eagle Rare Sams 10 Year Old Bourbon
Wathens Single Barrel Bourbon
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year Old Bourbon 90 Proof
Rowans Creek Bourbon 100.1 proof
Sam Houston Bourbon
Michter's #1 US Bourbon
Four Roses Bourbon, Single Barrel
Woodford

(not including the usual suspects)

Sounds like a great chance to get one of each and report back on the results!

BostonRussell

Reaction score
Go with the Eagle Rare. I've also heard, but cannot attest to, great things about Four Roses.

Never underestimate the power of Jim Beam. It's inexpensive, smooth enough and has a great spice. It's an underpriced whiskey that can be great before your pallette is developed enough to work through the super complex bourbons.

Morgan

Reaction score
For mid-price bourbon, I really like Buffalo Trace and Old Forrester 100 proof. If you are in one of the few mid-Atlantic states where it's marketed, pick up a handle of Ancient Age 10 year old (not 10 Star). It is far and away the best bargain in bourbon, IMO. Fabulous whiskey at a rock-bottom price, and in a plastic bottle to boot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads