• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon folks - whats a a good regular bottle?

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
can you compare and contrast it to woodford?
Eagle it compares favorably to Woodford, but is a bit more refined in taste. I'd say lighter but I'm really talking about the finish. Woodford gives you a bigger, sweeter finish, not the same as Maker's. Eagle is (even) more of a sipping whiskey. Burnished might be the term I'd use. It's aged for 10 years, which might have a lot to do with it.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by life_interrupts
Eagle it compares favorably to Woodford, but is a bit more refined in taste. I'd say lighter but I'm really talking about the finish. Woodford gives you a bigger, sweeter finish, not the same as Maker's. Eagle is (even) more of a sipping whiskey. Burnished might be the term I'd use. It's aged for 10 years, which might have a lot to do with it.

Very interesting, I will definitely try it.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
Yes, the ones you mention as well as Pappy Van Winkle 15, 20, and 23-year-old; and the Antique Collection from Buffalo Trace. Each fall, the distillery issues a limited release of five special whiskies: Eagle Rare 17-year-old single-barrel bourbon, William Larue Weller 11-year-old wheated bourbon (125.3 proof), Sazerac 18-year-old rye, Thomas H. Handy Sazerac rye (just over six years old and bottled this year at 127.5 proof), and George T. Stagg 15-year-old bourbon (very complex and woody, bottled this year at a killer 141.8 proof). And while you should be able to find all five for around $65 a bottle, it's their scarcity more than the initial selling price that causes me to mention them. Three excellent cask-strength bourbons that you can't find for eleven months out of the year. Also, I've seen past expressions of these bottles go for $100 and more on eBay. Also there's Noah's Mill 15-year-old, which is hard to find although it sells for only $45-50. I've never sampled this one but supposedly their whiskey source is the same as that of the now almost impossible to find Black Maple Hill offerings. If we direct our gaze upward from there, we can discuss bottlings such as Willett Family Reserve 23 and 25-year-old and Parker's Heritage Collection 27-year-old, all of which fetch prices of $200 or more. The latter was recently voted 2008 American Whiskey of the Year by Malt Advocate. And that is not even getting into truly rare bourbons such as James E. Pepper, from the 1950's. Those hunters who have been fortunate enough to uncover a bottle or receive a sample from a friend have spoken highly of it. Though I can't say whether the actual drinking experience justifies searching it out -- unless you're a collector (which I'm not).
d98d4dc0cad5cdefa5ea8d0dc28b25f36g.jpg
The PHC 27-year-old:

I saw a bottle of the Parker 27 today....for $196. I was sorely tempted, but I am saving for a bottle of Scotch, and I can't get two!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads