• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men season 2 discussion

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just did a quick internet search of Laura Ramsey and she is pretty dissapointing. The folks at Mad Men really know how to make a low 7 look like an 11.

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
I wonder if duck is going back to his alcoholic ways. He downed that martini pretty quick. Also, who did Don talk to over the phone when he introduced himself as Dick Whitman? The fellow he met on the train awhile back?

Off topic, but is it just me or does nobody ever drink beer? Always spirits. Was beer frowned upon back then?

Yeah, without liquor Duck is an empty suit. He comes in to talk to the Brits sober, looking for a job, but gets rebuffed. He looks at the glass, downs the martini, and makes an unauthorized pitch to sell S-C. Loved how he threw Roger's dirty laundry out there. Campbell could learn a thing or two from that pitch. Later, before talking to Roger and Bert about the Brits buying the firm, Duck pops in a breath mint -- perhaps to hide the alcohol on his breath. The bold proposal impresses Bert who says that's the Duck he had heard about. Until then, all he had seen was an underperforming, teetotaling Duck.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Its strange that Betty was not in the entire episode.

I assume they referred to yet didn't play any Dylan due to the high royalties?

also-

Having not ever read Faulkner, does the reference bear any significance to the episode/season?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I just did a quick internet search of Laura Ramsey and she is pretty dissapointing. The folks at Mad Men really know how to make a low 7 look like an 11.

I thought the same....hard to tell it's the same girl but you can see it.

on Madmen she was off the charts.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcate3
Yeah, without liquor Duck is an empty suit. He comes in to talk to the Brits sober, looking for a job, but gets rebuffed. He looks at the glass, downs the martini, and makes an unauthorized pitch to sell S-C. Loved how he threw Roger's dirty laundry out there. Campbell could learn a thing or two from that pitch. Later, before talking to Roger and Bert about the Brits buying the firm, Duck pops in a breath mint -- perhaps to hide the alcohol on his breath. The bold proposal impresses Bert who says that's the Duck he had heard about. Until then, all he had seen was an underperforming, teetotaling Duck.

Duck is a bit of a paradox. He seems competent enough, provides strong direction to his team, is going after what he wants, yet still seems a bit pathetic.

Is this because he pales in comparison to Don and Roger? There just doesn't seem to be anything distinctive about him. He's like Fred Lumsden, but far less likeable.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think Duck is a guy that lost his family due to his drinking so he got sober, but found that it was hard to be as successful at work without the booze. I don't think this was uncommon. My father did a lot of business in this era and he told me that all his deals were consumated while drinking. Literally - he said business revolved around boozing with clients and colleagues.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
Having not ever read Faulkner, does the reference bear any significance to the episode/season?

I think it could have been any book. Don took a page out of Joy's book to write down the phone number. He also "took a page out of Joy's book" when he apparently decided to join her and her creepy friends, as indicated by the last scene - his suitcase (representing Don Draper) being delivered back home, thus freeing up Dick Whitman.

Very good episode.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Small historical mistake in this last episode.

JFK's speech on civil rights occurred on June 11, 1963 but Joy was driving a Mercedes 230SL which wasn't introduced to America until July 1963.

Other than that, great episode although I thought the creepy Europeans had drugged Don and he was going to get rolled or something.

As I told my wife, it's interesting to have a show where the lead character is actually becoming less and less likable. I realize he's coming to terms with his deception of being Dick Whitman/Don Draper but the lack of concern for his children and Betty just pisses me off.

And yes, I think showing Duck with the breath mints means he is trying to hide his drinking.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watch this occasionally but always feel vaguely dirty when so doing. Weird.

What's with the dual identity thing referenced above?

Anyone else notice that when Don was in the pool with Joy they were drinking Campari and soda?

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I watch this occasionally but always feel vaguely dirty when so doing. Weird.

What's with the dual identity thing referenced above?

Anyone else notice that when Don was in the pool with Joy they were drinking Campari and soda?

Don Draper is not his real name.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Small historical mistake in this last episode.

JFK's speech on civil rights occurred on June 11, 1963 but Joy was driving a Mercedes 230SL which wasn't introduced to America until July 1963.

Maybe Joy's crew is so badass they got imported a left side driving version earlier than anyone else on the continent? Maybe they got the first ever in U.S. BEFORE it was even introduced? Maybe it's simply no fun to nitpik for historical accuracy in period shows especialy when you are talking about a difference of a month?

Get Smart - I think they gave the Ramsey girl a hair cut, tan, hot clothes, slutty disposition, weird father-daughter relationship, sexy voice to make her hot. That ought to have done it.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Maybe Joy's crew is so badass they got imported a left side driving version earlier than anyone else on the continent? Maybe they got the first ever in U.S. BEFORE it was even introduced? Maybe it's simply no fun to nitpik for historical accuracy in period shows especially when you are talking about a difference of a month?
Hell, I'm not really nitpicking, I just thought it was interesting. This article is nitpicking... http://www.marksimonson.com/article/...-men-mad-props
smile.gif

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I caught up to the most recent episodes last night and watched the last 2 episodes. In the most recebt episode in LA, I thought at any moment Uli Kunkel, Franz, Dieter, and Maude Lebowski were going to make an appearance poolside in Palm Springs as the nihilists.

Overall it was a great episode that is settiing up so much for Don, Dick, and Duck. Betsy's doppelganger at the pool bar threw me for a loop as well.

Lastly, how could Don have not gotten into Joy's Merc in LA and not gone with her to Palm Springs? I knew there was no way she would drive off alone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads