• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to add a center vent to ventless jackets?

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess all things are possible, but is it recommended? How much would something like this cost? Thanks.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
I guess all things are possible, but is it recommended? How much would something like this cost? Thanks.
Why?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The answer to any alteration question can be summed up with two additional questions.

1. Do you have a competent tailor?
2. Do you have enough fabric?

Typically trying to convert a ventless to a vented jacket is NOT possible because criterion #2 is not satisfied.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Typically trying to convert a ventless to a vented jacket is NOT possible because criterion #2 is not satisfied.

I've never asked my tailor about it, but I would tend to agree with the above statement.

If you look at the vents on a jacket (typically even more so on a single- rather than a double-vented jacket), you will see quite an allowance of fabric and "overlap" on the inside of the vent. This is to allow the vent to flare open slightly whilst the wearer moves, without revealing the wearer's trousers or the jacket lining. When you consider the small amount of material that is typically folded inside a seam, there is not nearly enough to line a typical vent. Therefore, I don't think it's possible, unless you are happy with a very "thin" vent (for want of a better adjective).

It's a great pity, because I've seen some great suits from Canali and Zegna that I would have snapped up but for the fact that they were ventless.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
It's a great pity, because I've seen some great suits from Canali and Zegna that I would have snapped up but for the fact that they were ventless.

Originally Posted by texas_jack
There's nothing wrong with ventless jackets.

Amen.

Ventless jackets are not FASHIONABLE right now. Notice i did not say STYLISH. Ventless jacket are quite stylish, just not the "in" thing according to the designers and the likes of GQ.

Give it a few years and all fashion trends will recycle. I predict that, by the year 2013 we will again have a resurgence of the ventless jacket.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Mods: can we sticky a "why you can't add a vent to ventless jacket" thread? When I get home, I will scan some pattern drafts that help explain why.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
There's nothing wrong with ventless jackets.

Originally Posted by lee_44106
Amen.

Ventless jackets are not FASHIONABLE right now. Notice i did not say STYLISH. Ventless jacket are quite stylish, just not the "in" thing according to the designers and the likes of GQ.

Give it a few years and all fashion trends will recycle. I predict that, by the year 2013 we will again have a resurgence of the ventless jacket.

There's nothing wrong with ventless jackets as such - they're just as much of a stylistic choice as single- or double-vented jackets.

Personally, however, I find that they don't fit my shape as well as jackets with vents (particularly double-vents). I also find them somewhat more restrictive when moving around. Therefore, I tend to avoid them. I've seen other people who look fantastic in ventless jackets, though, and more power to them.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
Is it possible to add a center vent to ventless jackets?
Cue John Belushi. This looks like a job for Samurai Tailor.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It can be done but with considerable time ( tailor's) and cost.

The cloth needed to make the vent comes from the front facing, below the bottom button. This piece is removed and sewn onto the underside of vent to create the overlap. The lower facing will need to be replaced with another cloth which the tailor will try to match color, texture and weight to the jacket cloth. The tailor will try and redo and match the pick stitching or any top stitching on the jacket edge. You will have a seam showing where the cloth is sewn to the jacket under the vent. The lining will need to be pieced to cover the vent also. This addition of lining will not match the original lining as well. If you have any balance issues in the fit of the jacket, it will become evident when you add the vent. If the back is too long the vent will open. If you use the cloth from both lower facing sections you could do side vents. It could cost the same as you paid for the jacket, but I don't know the quality of your jacket. A no brainer... go for it.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
It can be done.

macgyver2rs.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads