• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Newman - RIP

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A consummate gentlemen. It's a shame we don't have many contemprorary actor's who live up to his standards.

Aries

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
A consummate gentlemen. It's a shame we don't have many contemprorary actor's who live up to his standards.

+1, Seemed to be a graceful and gracious human being. Not many people like him in general.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This guy would be so easy to hate - he was so ridiculously good-looking. But no way, he was the most superb actor, a great man.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nm_newman_lemans_070523_ssh.jpg

Mr T

Reaction score
Today my avatar and signature are both sadly appropriate.

I have admired the man for decades. He was a great actor and a wonderful person.

His portrayal of Cool Hand Luke made a boring book and a wooden character into a spectacular movie. Incidentally, the scene in the movie that explains how he got his nickname (the inmates are playing poker and Luke says, "...sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.") was not in the book at all.

For those who have followed his life and career the news was not unexpected as he was sick for a long time. He will be sorely missed.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's a Hollywood icon and he led an exemplary life. A true gentleman. May he RIP.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad news.

Some fine salad dressing he made too.

dl

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Rest in Peace, Mr. Newman, and thank you for the great works you left us.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Newman story from another board:

"A boss I had in New York had just moved into a new house in Greenwich, CT. The doorbell rings. He opens the door. Standing there is Paul Newman with a loaf of freshly baked bread (his wife just made) and a bottle of wine. He was there to welcome his new neighbor. My boss invited him in. They drank and talked for an hour or so. He said Newman was incredibly nice and modest -- more interested in learning about my boss than talking about himself."

lefty

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Newman story from another board:

"A boss I had in New York had just moved into a new house in Greenwich, CT. The doorbell rings. He opens the door. Standing there is Paul Newman with a loaf of freshly baked bread (his wife just made) and a bottle of wine. He was there to welcome his new neighbor. My boss invited him in. They drank and talked for an hour or so. He said Newman was incredibly nice and modest -- more interested in learning about my boss than talking about himself."

lefty

Cool story. Speaks volumes about the guy. I only wish the acting profession had more Newmans and less of the shallow, cause of the day shitheads that it seems filled with these days. I get physically ill when I see a story about one of these "celebrities" on TV or in the print media because I worry it speaks to a fault in Americans, the worship of the vapid, inane celebrity.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of meeting Newman at Brainerd International Raceway in the early 80s. He'd just become a professional race car driver and was extremely open and available to those of us who had pit/paddock passes. He took the time to chat, to ask questions of my young daughter, and to wish us well when we left. He was incredibly humble, gregarious and, as my (then) wife observed, "make your knees shake" handsome.

Another American treasure is lost.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by limping_decorum
nm_newman_lemans_070523_ssh.jpg

marchal.gif
!! + Datsun + BRE car + those glasses = j's motorsport hero actually that may not be the BRE car but IIRC he did drive one of the BRE 510s.
newmansbs510id8.jpg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know you're cool when one of the most desirable watches in the world is named after you:
6240.jpg

RIP.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics