1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Newman - RIP

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Bradford, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

If not, I'm sure one will be out soon.

2. fftfft

fftfft Senior member

Don't forget that his charities touched millions. A great man with deeds beyond just excellent acting. He will be an icon.

Indeed, some may not be aware that his food brands resulted in 100% of the profits going to charities...something on the order of $250 million so far. Clearly a class act.

3. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Sad news indeed. He was a real Mensch.

Surprising quote from you but absolutely true.

Newman was as a much a Connecticut guy as a Hollywood guy.

He was an actor, family man, auto racer, philanthropist, and you are right a mensche to boot,

A great guy that lived a great life.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Great actor. Always liked his roles, even if the movie wasn't so hot. He seemed to appeal to both men and women. I liked what the article said about him saying one of his proudest achievements was to be included on Nixon's enemies list. He's one of those people that one wishes would live forever.

Why do people insist on politicizing every-effing-thing? It's unneeded.

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I made my wife watch "Slapshot" about a week ago. She sure as hell didn't get it, but I'm glad I got to watch one of my favorites while still knowing that he was alive.

6. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Why do people insist on politicizing every-effing-thing? It's unneeded.
    It's an important part of what he was about. Why can't someone admire or deplore it?

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

It's an important part of what he was about. Why can't someone admire or deplore it?
    It invites partisanship in what, IMO, should be a simple acknowledgment of his passing. The post I questioned was not a simple statement of what Paul Newman was about, but rather a political statement of the poster's feelings. The statement was more about the poster than it was Newman. It is just my 2 cents, but if you want an obit to turn into a political discussion, by judgmental statements being in here, that's fine with me. I will refrain from stating my political views within the frame work of an homage to a good man. Feel free to state your judgment of the worth of the man based on your political views.

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Among the greatest in the 20th century pantheon.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

9. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Among the greatest in the 20th century pantheon.

[​IMG]

I'm shakin that bush boss!

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

RIP to a legend...sad day.
    +1

11. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

A consummate gentlemen. It's a shame we don't have many contemprorary actor's who live up to his standards.

12. Aries

Aries Senior member

A consummate gentlemen. It's a shame we don't have many contemprorary actor's who live up to his standards.

+1, Seemed to be a graceful and gracious human being. Not many people like him in general.

13. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

This guy would be so easy to hate - he was so ridiculously good-looking. But no way, he was the most superb actor, a great man.

14. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

15. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Senior member

Truly the end of an era. He will be sorely missed.

Sally Field said it best: " Sometimes God makes perfect people and Paul Newman was one of them".

16. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

Today my avatar and signature are both sadly appropriate.

I have admired the man for decades. He was a great actor and a wonderful person.

His portrayal of Cool Hand Luke made a boring book and a wooden character into a spectacular movie. Incidentally, the scene in the movie that explains how he got his nickname (the inmates are playing poker and Luke says, "...sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.") was not in the book at all.

For those who have followed his life and career the news was not unexpected as he was sick for a long time. He will be sorely missed.

17. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

He's a Hollywood icon and he led an exemplary life. A true gentleman. May he RIP.

18. dl20

dl20 Senior member

Sad news.

Some fine salad dressing he made too.

dl

19. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Rest in Peace, Mr. Newman, and thank you for the great works you left us.

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

Newman story from another board:

"A boss I had in New York had just moved into a new house in Greenwich, CT. The doorbell rings. He opens the door. Standing there is Paul Newman with a loaf of freshly baked bread (his wife just made) and a bottle of wine. He was there to welcome his new neighbor. My boss invited him in. They drank and talked for an hour or so. He said Newman was incredibly nice and modest -- more interested in learning about my boss than talking about himself."

lefty